ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Service Provider from these 3...

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm with AOL, but because of this... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=241997 I'm wanting to change to another.

I have 3 in mind.

Virgin Broadband 8Mbs Unlimited £17.99
Sky Broadband 8Mbs Unlimited around £10
BT Broadband 8Mbs Unlimited £18.99

Which is the best do you think/know? I only have an 8Mbs line max at the moment, so no point going for a 24Mbs or 16Mbs even. I also need unlimited downloads and no high usage caps.

:)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
virgin r the best out of those lot, sky i have heard conflicting reports so i dunno

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
i honestly dont know ... im looking myself. currently with orange, which aint the best when u need help which is often.
the ones u mention are all just as bad as each other though apart from AOL ... who are the worst and youll be lucky to delete their software from your computer. its a virus type software which attaches itself.

Revels Mum & Sister
I had a Zen line when I was living at home. Spot on never had a problem with them.

Moved the old man to Virgin and me to Virgin in my place as well and not had an issue since signing up.

Zen and the likes are twice the price for a similar service though

Fabia vRS
I had a Zen line when I was living at home. Spot on never had a problem with them.

Moved the old man to Virgin and me to Virgin in my place as well and not had an issue since signing up.

Zen and the likes are twice the price for a similar service though

they aren't a similar service though. when something goes wrong you will have a far easier time getting the issue resolved with zen than you would with virgin.

virgin traffic shape, zen do not.

i pay almost £30 a month for my broadband and i'm happy to do so for an overall better service without the shítty traffic shaping of lesser providers.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
BT are pretty good now.

Virgin are supposedly selling out to someone else.

Sky - stick to tv.

Punto/Clio GTT
no problems with sky here, get full 16 meg sometimes but most of the time i hit 10 meg tops

tbh isps are as bad as each other, everyone has good n bad experiences with every one. just go for the cheapest and one that suits you.

Fabia vRS
no problems with sky here, get full 16 meg sometimes but most of the time i hit 10 meg tops

tbh isps are as bad as each other, everyone has good n bad experiences with every one. just go for the cheapest and one that suits you.

bad advice.

he'll go for the cheapest, find it's crap, be tied into a 12 month contract, and then have to pay for the remaining time of the contract if he wants to leave.

Punto/Clio GTT

bad advice.

he'll go for the cheapest, find it's crap, be tied into a 12 month contract, and then have to pay for the remaining time of the contract if he wants to leave.

and thats possibly one of the most sweeping statements ive heard in quite a while.

cheapest means bad? erm.. lol

Leon Cupra R 225
bad advice.

and thats possibly one of the most sweeping statements ive heard in quite a while.

cheapest means bad? erm.. lol

Well in this case it does - NOT including free broadband - TalkTalk is the worst ISP in the UK - FACT. And that's the cheapest rate at it's "usage" and "speed" :rolleyes:

Be "Lite" 24 meg at £14 a month is a steal! 2 of my mates are running the £24 a month option and both get over 20mbps on a strong connection.

Monaro VXR
I use eclipse and have no problems with them. Get great write ups as well. Both me and my friend use them and have had no problems with them. Been using them for 12 months mate has been with them for a lot longer.

Punto/Clio GTT
sky 16 meg, no limit, £10 per month*

(need to have sky tv ;))

but thats cheap and certainly not bad. as i say, everyone will have different views on different isp's depending on past experiences.

Leon Cupra R 225

(need to have sky tv ;))

but thats cheap and certainly not bad. as i say, everyone will have different views on different isp's depending on past experiences.

Hmm that is cheap and I don't have Sky TV...yet. You tempt me! :eek:

Leon Cupra R 225
People still use AOL?

Blimey, I though people only used AOL for coasters.

pmsl! but that's what they should advertise the annoying cd's you get through the door as!!

spyware filled pieces of shite! reminds me of pipex aka pish.

172 cup'd extreme
I have been with bethere for a year now, the service has gone from fantastic to downright poor, speed has gone from 21.5mbits to just over 11mbits i have a very good line and 1km from the exchange. They have service issue in manchester every few days. i guess its just the way things go when more people join and they dont upgrade the exchange equipment enough to cope.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

(need to have sky tv ;))

Hmm that is cheap and I don't have Sky TV...yet. You tempt me! :eek:

Your exchange also has to have sky equipment (LLU) in it otherwise it's 17 quid a month for 8 meg.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Sky is decent @ £10 a month (I have Sky full packages).

BT seemed ok with the additional extras etc.

So it looks like Virgin are the best of the bunch, as I've also read conflicting reviews on Bethere of fluctuating download speeds.

Again, I'm on 8Mbs tops.

I loaded AOL this morning and left my laptop running to download some stuff. It was running at around 300KBs which was a bit better than last nights 58.6KBs but I'm still unhappy with the high usage cap.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
£17.99 a month

Up to 8 Mbps
Unlimited downloads
PCguard Total - complete protection for your PC
Free modem
Add Free TV or a Wireless Kit for £40

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
What do you mean by that x2 less speed? I cant get 16x speed. 8Mbs is my max the line will take.

Punto/Clio GTT
wont your line be upgraded in the forseeable future?

and still, back to my first point, why would you pay nearly double then for the same thing

Leon Cupra R 225
I'd get Sky over Virgin Scutch, your line will most likely be upgraded within the next 6 months or so to handle 16 meg, due to the increasing number of ISP's offering this speed.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'd get Sky over Virgin Scutch, your line will most likely be upgraded within the next 6 months or so to handle 16 meg, due to the increasing number of ISP's offering this speed.

I would get Sky, but there seems to be 2 people who are saying its great and the rest saying its utter pants. I did a search on Google for Sky Broadband reviews and got the same kind of results. Might just go for it. Got to be better than f*cking AOL.
Is there a high usage cap on Sky? Also, I want the unlimited download package, yet when I put my phone number in its putting me down for the 8Mbs package with 40GB limit. I cant even find a contact number to phone them for more information!

Punto/Clio GTT
" none "

" sky i have heard conflicting reports so i dunno "

" Virgin are supposedly selling out to someone else.

Sky - stick to tv. "

so 3 people who dont like sky, 1 doesnt like any of those you posted and was about as helpful as a kick in the balls... 1 hasnt used sky and is going on reports from what hes heard or read (i could google virgin and probably find you some horror stories)
and the 3rd guy hasnt given reasons either.

if youve already got sky tv theres only 1 option IMO because noone can match the line speed/price with no usage cap.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Sounds good. Thanks for all this dude. Much appreciated :)

Gonna try and get more info. I agree its a great deal, but I was put off when I searched on google for Sky Broadband reviews. Still, everyone is different I guess. I just want impressive speeds and reliability. Oh and other stuff too.

VaVa
I'm on Sky - No problems whatsover. I'm on the £5/8Mb/40Gb month package.

Suits me just fine - Download at a steady 850-900 Kb/s.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Is there a fair usage policy on this connection? I think I'm gonna go for Sky.