ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full r****d guide to Macs?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I'll be getting to grips with a MBP after Christmas, so wondering if the good people of CS can help me out with a number of questions:

1 - I need to migrate my iTunes over. Now, is this just a case of setting iTunes up on the MBP with my account and transferring my files into the file registry on the MBp and then look for them in iTunes?

2 - iPhone. Do I just plug my iPhone into the MBP when I have set my iTunes up. Or do I need to do anything in particular?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
use home sharing. have both the pc/laptop and mbp on and in itunes, press home sharing then sit back as the files transfer over :)

iphones plug and play afaik

I have very crappy wireless, and all my files are on an external drive anyway.

For the music, I would personally just setup iTunes to manage everything, and to keep it's own data in it's own library. Then import your music from an external drive. iTunes will organise everything properly and store your tunes locally in it's own folders. Remove the external drive. JD.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Put any files you want onto the Ext-HDD.. then plug that into the Mac.

Drag/drop the files onto a new folder on your desktop in one go. Then when they're all on there, file them accordingly on the Mac (movies, pictures, music, documents etc.) which will take seconds.

If you do them in batches, you'll be there all day.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
To connect to my AV receiver, do I just need to buy a mini display port to HDMI connector and a new HDMi lead?

Cheers for the help all, it is much appreciated.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
For the music, I would personally just setup iTunes to manage everything, and to keep it's own data in it's own library. Then import your music from an external drive. iTunes will organise everything properly and store your tunes locally in it's own folders. Remove the external drive. JD.

Excuse the total retardation here, what do you mean?

Cheers for the help all.

Also, is the iPhone a case of plug in and go from there?

Excuse the total retardation here, what do you mean?

Cheers for the help all.

Also, is the iPhone a case of plug in and go from there?

On the Mac, configure iTunes to organise its own data. Also make sure that it's setup to copy the music into the iTunes library. Then just "add to library" and point it to the external drive. It will take care of the rest.

This is how I would do it anyway.

Not entirely sure about the iPhone. you'll no doubt get some message bout a new library, and deleting the existing music on the phone. Get all your music setup properly in iTunes before plugging the phone in. Also backup the phone in Windows iTunes first just in case.

FYI once you've gone Mac, you won't believe how well all your s**t just works together.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Mini DP to HDMI is the best thing ever.

Migrating to mac SHOULD be easy, back up iPhone to itunes (PC) then migrate the itunes folder using an external hard drive you can then copy that onto the mac if you want. Then ask iTunes to find that folder as your itunes folder.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Let the pain begin:

80a9bd99.jpg

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well, all music is imported, just erasing and re-syncing the iPod.

iPhone next.

So far, it's going smoothly, although it took me 20 minutes and a phone call to figure out right clicking. Ah, you use 2 fingers, course you do.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I see everyone is ignoring my questions.

Anyway, I have artwork showing up on my iTunes, my iPod but not my iPhone. Very very annoying.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well, my experience so far is overwhelming frustration.

There will be a list of questions shortly.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
You soon get used to them though dude, mine was confusing at first but I'm now pretty good on it!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
The interface and what not is fine, it's issues that are annoying me.

iTunes is being an utter bell end. I need to restore my iPhone, which I've never had to do before. I have an update in my app store I can't download.