ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full r****d guide to Macs?

Just let iTunes do what it wants with your phone. As long as you have your music library sorted, and a backup of the phone, I can't see much going wrong. Trust me, it's all worth the effort. I never came across anything that Google or CS didn't answer in minutes. Now I'd rather use the wrong lane on a roundabout than go back to Windows as my main OS.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I transferred songs over last night to my iPhone, which went fine. However, the artwork for some albums didn't transfer over, despite them all being present in iTunes and on my iPod, so I thought I would transfer the songs back off the iPhone and try again. However, iTunes now says there are no songs on my iPhone, but they are there. They simply don't show up within iTunes.

TBF, it's not that much of a hassle. I don't have anything on my phone of any importance, and my contacts are within google exchange, it's just the hassle of having to sort it all out again which is annoying me.

Oh, and not having artwork annoys me beyond all reason.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Is the update not downloading due to you having an out of date iOS installed?

I don't know.

It's the same issue as Will. was having, asking for purchase information for another account. I only have one account though, so I, and the apple guy I spoke to on the phone were stumped.

Google seems to have a hundred possible issues for it, most of which I don't understand, so I'm going to ignore it for the time being.

I'd wipe everything and start again. Sounds like you somehow fucked it all up.

Is the music data actually on your Mac? have yo made sure that iTunes organises everything automatically, and keeps it's own copies of all the tracks?

I've once or twice that the problem where one of my devices won't show the artwork. Restarting fixed it in my case.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I'd wipe everything and start again. Sounds like you somehow f**ked it all up.

Is the music data actually on your Mac? have yo made sure that iTunes organises everything automatically, and keeps it's own copies of all the tracks?

I've once or twice that the problem where one of my devices won't show the artwork. Restarting fixed it in my case.

iTunes is organising everything, and I imported from external device letting iTunes manage it.

Lol @ I fcuked it up. I just let it do what it wanted.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Denial. First sign of full r****d ;)

Start again.

I have no problem accepting full r****d status, as you're well aware, but I have no clue how I could have done anything differently.

I think I have found the issue with the artwork.

Some of the files are showing the picture within the file, these have artwork present on the iPhone, others are not, these do not have the artwork present on iPhone. No idea how you go about solving that issue mind.

I suppose it depends to a certain extent on the integrity of the data being imported. Does everything have the correct artwork in iTunes?

Megane 225 F1
I don't know.

It's the same issue as Will. was having, asking for purchase information for another account. I only have one account though, so I, and the apple guy I spoke to on the phone were stumped.

Google seems to have a hundred possible issues for it, most of which I don't understand, so I'm going to ignore it for the time being.

Is the update you have for iPhoto? If so, with the mbp you get the free version. The latest update is only available to those that have purchased it. Which sucks because it means I always have an update.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I suppose it depends to a certain extent on the integrity of the data being imported. Does everything have the correct artwork in iTunes?

Yeah, everything has artwork, and my naming is 99% spot on, as I get a bit obsessive about file conventions because of having to deal with so many revisions at work.

I manually deleted the songs from my iPhone and reimported at an album level as opposed to an artist level, which seems to have solved that issue.

Is the update you have for iPhoto? If so, with the mbp you get the free version. The latest update is only available to those that have purchased it. Which sucks because it means I always have an update.

Ah, that is incredibly annoying.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well, the artwork issue seems to have sorted itself out. No idea why it wouldn't let me manage the songs from iTunes, so will chalk that one down to experience and at least there was no need to do a restore in the end, which was nice.

To use, it is very nice, there is no way around that. I am definitely enjoying that element. But I think the frustration and learning curve is gonna be steep.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, one other very quick question:

Is there a way to page up? There are no page up keys, and I can use space to page down, but is there an equivalent.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Well if you hold shift and press space it'll do the opposite of pressing space, but I'm sure a mac expert will come along with the proper page up/down key combos :)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
The shift thing works on most os, windows, osx etc, generally does the opposite of something.

So like when you're using tab to move through fields if you hold shift when doing it you'll move through the fields backwards :)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
The shift thing works on most os, windows, osx etc, generally does the opposite of something.

So like when you're using tab to move through fields if you hold shift when doing it you'll move through the fields backwards :)

Yeah, I used that with Windows (not the shift space, I just used page up).

Getting there I think.

Might download Senna later on to watch through the TV in the evening next week.

Will need to get my download on now I have a decent machine and a hook up to my AV set up (assuming that works).

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
OK, so another question.

How do I 'view' iCloud?

I have 4.5GB in there, but no idea what it is...

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
What format does an external HD need to be in to be able to write to it from a Mac?

I currently have stuff stored in 2 places, PC and Mac, so want to format the HD while I have that back up in place.

It's just a basic external HD, nothing fancy.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I see everyone is ignoring my questions, well anyway, here's another.

I'm having issues with my iPhone and my iTunes not syncing apps.

When a new app is available for download, I download it, but then it doesn't automatically sync. If I sync the phone, it doesn't pick up the new app. I have to un-click the app and then re-click and then sync again.

I have automatically sync new apps ticked, but it clearly isn't working.

What am I doing wrong?

I must admit I haven't taken an awful lot of notice of my apps aside from it kicking off because I'd changes the iTunes account I was using on the phone when I replaced the mac. Obviously this resulted in a conflict between what it was expecting to see on the current account vs what I had physically on the phone.

As for the HDD I've not sorted out an external back up so have no clue I'm afraid.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I must admit I haven't taken an awful lot of notice of my apps aside from it kicking off because I'd changes the iTunes account I was using on the phone when I replaced the mac. Obviously this resulted in a conflict between what it was expecting to see on the current account vs what I had physically on the phone.

As for the HDD I've not sorted out an external back up so have no clue I'm afraid.

Cheers for the reply mate.

I love the MBP, but a couple of small things are really pissing me off. How iTunes is not working the way it did when I was on PC being chief amongst the very small things.

HDD -

Open Disk Utility

Then erase (obviously if this is not a new HD or one you have stuff on, sort that first)

MS-DOT (FAT) if you want to be able to use it on a Windows & Mac
Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) if you just want to use it on a Mac.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
HDD -

Open Disk Utility

Then erase (obviously if this is not a new HD or one you have stuff on, sort that first)

MS-DOT (FAT) if you want to be able to use it on a Windows & Mac
Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) if you just want to use it on a Mac.

Cheers Revels.

Any idea on the sync issue?

Google is not helping me out either.

Nope. You're doing it a weird way. Lol.

I just hit update at all before I go to sleep when there's loads to do.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Nope. You're doing it a weird way. Lol.

I just hit update at all before I go to sleep when there's loads to do.

Lol. What's weird?

I don't have a huge number of apps, so I just do them when I get in.

Wireless sync seems to be incredibly temperamental, although it was on PC too. I think that is down to my piss poor wifi.

Audi S1
I want to get my iPhone backups off of my MBP and put them on my iMac. How would I do this... I want to use my iMac for all my iPhone backups in future but I don't want to lose my contacts etc...