ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help ASAP - Running problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
  cup 182 mit stripes
What about this ''mystery repair'' Did'nt happen when the guys at Falkland had a wee shiftie at the electrics, did it? lol

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
It was summer, tbh I dont think its the corrosion thats knackered it, i think its the dodgy repair. The corrosion wont be helping much though

Ive had new iginition drivers fitted and it will be bak in my hands tomo.

Jesus, go and open your up and take a picture if you could, would be interested to see if there is any corrosion at all if its been driven in the wet.

Il post a pic of mine as soon as I get it back

not a problem mate, just been looking for my allen (sp?) keys to open the fecker actually! lol

seriously, it gets driven everywhere as I'm a lazy f**ker. I've done 15k this year, drive down the M60 ring road 2-3 times a week to see mates in Oldham and Leeds way and the standing water on that road is incredible, but so far no problems.
I'm going to email Omex tomorrow as a concerned customer as well and see what they think of how it's been installed and the location of the ECU, and if they see this as a problem. I'll also say that someone on a forum I use has had theirs corrode and that obviously I dont want the same to happen to mine and see what they come back with.

Stu, I'm not worried about the warrenty, if I ever had a problem Andy would sort that side of things out for me, so I'll go out after my T and get some pics... might be a bit dark, in which case I'll get some more tomorrow as well.
Not sure on the stock ECU tbh, the Williams one isn't, wouldn't imagine the newer ones are either really, as when Wayne worked at Renault they said never to put steam cleaners or water near the engine, damp cloth only for cleaning as the ECU's have a habbit of failing afterwards

my point actually, so if the standard ecu ain`t water proof n carrys on working then y wud the omex be any deifferent!? ;)

Lionel Richie
well its one of the jobs i'm doing to our car over the winter, moving the ecu to the glovebox, its an expensive piece of kit to have in the unfriendly environment that is the engine bay

M

mini-valver

I'd of though it bad practice to be put in the engine bay in the first place personally wether it be safe or not.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
well its one of the jobs i'm doing to our car over the winter, moving the ecu to the glovebox, its an expensive piece of kit to have in the unfriendly environment that is the engine bay

Are you getting omex to make the extension loom, I spoke to them about it while I was on the phone. No price was mentioned though, any idea? pm me if you want.

Lionel Richie
alot of race cars etc have the ecu in the engine bay, it doesn't really matter, but would you put a laptop next to a swiming pool?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
What about this ''mystery repair'' Did'nt happen when the guys at Falkland had a wee shiftie at the electrics, did it? lol

the who did what?
going on what stoddie has told me, only person to touch the car was GDI.

Lionel Richie

Are you getting omex to make the extension loom, I spoke to them about it while I was on the phone. No price was mentioned though, any idea? pm me if you want.

na i'll be waiting years! i'll be doing it

alot of race cars etc have the ecu in the engine bay, it doesn't really matter, but would you put a laptop next to a swiming pool?

exacly, similarly, would you give your Omex a bath? most ECU's on regular cars are in the engine bay, as are most of the electrics, which are all usually fine 99.9% of the time.

the who did what?

and that was how long ago? GDI did the car and that was the last time they saw it as Stoddie never brought it back, but check through some of his old threads and things may become a bit clearer. GDI didn't touch it last if the game is now "hot potato" lol. Stoddie never had to have the ECU repaired at GDI, so unless he took it to them there's no way they could have possibly attempted to fix it... but lets continue in circles, it's fun lol

Exige S1 + Honda S1
tbh i dont even care anymore, its not like I can prove anything is somebodies fault, ive just got to shell out my own pocket to make it right again

V6 Exige, GTR R35

see this fuckin place drives me nuts.

only time falkland have even looked at it was when it was on the rollers. so think you have your wires crossed somewhere.

the car which was sold to phil was the exact car which i recieved from gdi last summer - nobody has worked on it apart from an oil change done by me.

the car sat outside for 6 months of the year when im offshore - so yeah things do rust. youre lucky if it done 3k in the first year i had it.

a car driven every day cant be compared to a car which is left outside as they get the chance to dry out.

Lionel Richie
exacly, similarly, would you give your Omex a bath? most ECU's on regular cars are in the engine bay, as are most of the electrics, which are all usually fine 99.9% of the time.

the who did what?

and that was how long ago? GDI did the car and that was the last time they saw it as Stoddie never brought it back, but check through some of his old threads and things may become a bit clearer. GDI didn't touch it last if the game is now "hot potato" lol. Stoddie never had to have the ECU repaired at GDI, so unless he took it to them there's no way they could have possibly attempted to fix it... but lets continue in circles, it's fun lol

but ecus on regualr car are water tight, and so is the loom and connectors, omex and omex's connectors aren't, but thats one of the reasons why its an afforable unit, not ideal, but i haven't got £3K+ for a motec

M

mini-valver

^Agree with that personally. Although unless you are told it's not waterproof you'd assume it was fine having been put there by a company doing the conversion, whoever that might be.

Some people are missing the point I think.

The ECU has been opened and repaired regardless of the corrosion side of things.

If GDI didnt repair it then you have to question whether a new ECU was supplied originally by OMEX. I am going to have a look at mine over the weekend and see how it looks.

Lionel Richie
as the owner says, WHO CARES! he just wants his car in working order

its been messed with by someone, you'll never know who, all the finger pointing solves nothing, the end

maybe it was a duffly manufactured board in the first place, there's 1000 possibles!

Okay, I have had an update from Omex, so here is the email I sent to them

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you regarding a recent thread I saw on a Clio owners club regarding an issue a customer of yours had with an Omex 600 series ECU. I have the same ECU in my Clio 172 and as such am concerned I may encounter the same issue.

Basically the car in question has suffered with totally corroded injector drivers causing the car to not run properly if at all. With regards to this issue I have a few questions surrounding the fitting of the Omex 600 and general maintenance.

On my car I have the ECU mounted just over the battery on the bracket that goes across it, similar to the person who’s ECU is badly corroded, but the Omex on my car has been on for 40’000 miles and so far has not let me down at all. The car is my daily driver and I can ill afford to suffer with a similar issue but was wondering what may cause this? Is the ECU okay where it is mounted, or should I look to move it inside the car, say the glove box? Is there anything I should or shouldn’t do with regards to say cleaning my engine, as with the car going to a few shows a year it means cleaning the engine bay periodically to keep it looking nice and tidy when it is being inspected by people? I realise that the unit wont be totally water tight, but seems to be fine upto this point. Lastly, as I wont be using my car everyday before too much longer can you see this being a problem, as it will be stood still over the majority of winter and condensation is another worry I’m having.

I’m probably just panicking as I’ve only heard of one instance of this problem, so really I want to know if this is something I should be concerned about or a one off brought about by misuse of whatever kind, be it washing the engine bay, driving through a lot of standing water or just general use and road spray.

Regards,

Jon

Here is the reply I received.

Dear Jon

Thank you for your email regarding ECU fitment to your Renault Clio. Normally we would not comment on an individual's car but as that individual has elected to discuss it openly on a forum I can see no reason why they would not be happy for me to reply to you. Indeed it may be more appropriate to contact them directly to see how the ECU came to be damaged.

The 600 Series ECU is not fully watertight and is not advertised as so. It is however, water resistant. This is achieved by spraying the circuit board with a liquid plastic coating during manufacture. This gives a level of protection suitable for fitting in the engine bay of a vehicle. This is proven by most owners of '7' type sportscars fitting them there. Indeed one of our low volume oem customers has fitted over 300 in the engine bay of their vehicles and we have never had a reported fault. Our own test/development car also has the ECU in the engine bay.

The ECU that was returned to us showed considerable water damage. This is commensurate with pressure washing the engine bay which is generally accepted as poor practice. The case showed signs of significant water ingress that had then sat on the case and PCB eventually causing failure due to corrosion.

So to answer your questions; you do not need to move your ECU out of the engine bay,nor do you need to remove it during long periods of disuse of the vehicle. However if you wish to pressure wash the engine bay I would suggest common sense would require you to remove the ECU and cover up the connector with a polythene bag. However, I do not know how Renault would view pressure washing the engine bay, certainly my own road car has a sticker placed by the manufacturer specifically saying not to use a pressure washer on or near the engine and that any warranty claims due to such neglect will not be considered.

I hope that answers your query.

Best regards

Richard Wragg
Managing Director
Omex Technology Systems Ltd.
www.omextechnology.co.uk

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
well that sorts that fuker out then!! cheers jon, i wont be pressure washing my engine bay in a hurry :rasp: not that i wud anyway ;)

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Okay got the ECU back today, took it apart and there is no sign of corrosion from what I can see...

Anyway, I put it back into the car and it hasnt made any difference but at least I know the ECU is properly fixed now.

I think running on 2 cylinders has knackered the spark plugs cause they are pink at the end on 2 of them.

Checked the leads, they are roughly all the same resistance

the saga continues...

I going to take the cat out and try it then to see if the exhaust baffles have collapsed

Last edited:
M

mini-valver

Swap the 2 plugs from the 2 cyclinders that are down with the ones form the 2 that fire. if it makes no difference, don't waste any money on new plugs! HAve you had it compression tested?

Nightmare mate....

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Im in glasgow jesus so not exactly handy, yozzasport is closer.

Just swapped the plugs, no change.

they are about an hour and a half from Yozzasport, wouldn't have thought either was exactly handy in the travel time sense I suppose.

172DD Cup
just subscribing. really hope you sort this out asap. i use to have a horrible problem with my integra. it kept losing power. i had it on a rolling road and they couldnt find anything. i even ordered a dizzy from canada and it fixed it for about 50 miles and then the problem came back. in the end i sold it without fixing the problem. i know how you feel :dapprove: good luck :)

Exige S1 + Honda S1
just subscribing. really hope you sort this out asap. i use to have a horrible problem with my integra. it kept losing power. i had it on a rolling road and they couldnt find anything. i even ordered a dizzy from canada and it fixed it for about 50 miles and then the problem came back. in the end i sold it without fixing the problem. i know how you feel :dapprove: good luck :)

thanks for giving me confidence! lol

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
run the engine, remove the injector plugs each at a time... if the note changes then that injector is working... ... no change = not working..

trace the injector wires back to the ecu plug with a multi meter... call us or omex if you need to know which pins on the ecu....

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Phil,

Kev at Falkland is very good, again it's a hell of alot closer than the alternative. I would also doubt YS would touch it.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Andy, I assume this works only if its working on all 4? Right now, its just 2 even at tickover. I appreciate the help.

legohead - The ECU was ran on omex' test car for an hour an it was okay. It has also been running for 12 months on the current map so it is spot on.

Ali- fred has already offered to come up and have a look at the car, I have pm'd again to see if he would.

Will give andy's suggestion a go though

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
phil

the point being you can find which injectors etc dont work, then gives you a start point....

once you find it you can trace it back, now we know the ecu is fine its narrowing down the fault finding process

the centre two injectors are fired at the same time and the outer ones the same...

sounds to me like a loose or damaged or corroded wire from the injectors to the ecu...

you need to make sure you have 12v at each wire on the injectors when the ignition is on.... they use a common green wire on each (its the same side of each injector plug) check this...

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Bit difficult when its only firing on 2 anyway but I get what you mean.

Will have to wait a few days until Im back in scotchland.
I bought a compression tester as well to see if that shows anything, fingers crossed its fine.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
ok, well give us a call if you need any help. will try and talk you though the test procedures

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Okay an update>

I have check the compression and its 100% in all 4 cylinders about 185psi-190psi.

I pulled the injectors out on the rail and cranked it. They are all pulsing perfectly yet its still running on 2. Its the middle 2 cylinders that arent firing.

This makes me think its the electrics going to coil pack. Im trying my best to sort this out today

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Okay, you have any idea what it could be? Dont want to get you up and theres not much you can do. busy just now?

Status
Not open for further replies.