ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've just broken down and it sounded expensive

Looking for 182
Yeah, we'll crack it open FOC & you can have a look yourself :)

Awesome. I don't know if there'll be any salvageable bits, but if there are I'd like to take them home if they are worth anything :)
The whole thing is probably screwed though.

I hope that's ok.

Megane 265 Cup
Make a table out of it deffo! Something like the one on topgear with a glass panel over it, well cool :)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
If the block is going spare then i'll have it!
I actually want to get a coffee table made out of an F4R block so this will be ideal....

Clio 182
I'm going through all this myself right now, so may be in touch for advice on where to source an engine. Hoping to get the head off first and see how bad it is though.

Just had to shell out £200 to get the car back from Surrey where it broke back to Sheffield, where I live and will be fixing it!

Looking for 182
I'm going through all this myself right now, so may be in touch for advice on where to source an engine. Hoping to get the head off first and see how bad it is though.

Just had to shell out £200 to get the car back from Surrey where it broke back to Sheffield, where I live and will be fixing it!

Bugger, sorry to hear that dude :(

The places I looked were:

eBay (search for 182 breaking)
PistonHeads classifieds
www.cliospares.co.uk
www.renault-spares.co.uk -Ended up using these guys in the end
Sutt Auto's - A guy on here called Steve

Probably plenty of others as well, but these are the ones I tried contacting.

Golf GT TDI
glad its working out for you mate, really felt sorry for you. i would simply set fire to my clio if it did that to me lol

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
We removed the head off Nicks engine this afternoon

As you can see from the pics, some serious damage -

DSC01239.jpg

The valve head worked its way round 180 degree's and wedged it self back in the head

DSC01240.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

Cambelt was timed correctly when we removed it so can only be put down as defect in the valve its self.

New engine arrived today so should all be back on the road by end of next week :)

CB1N
The same happened to me, the valve head dropped off to cylinder and it threw a conrod through the block as the piston could not compress it :) and then it ruined the head as well. Now I got a second engine which is getting rebuilt now as the necessary parts had arrived. Added a new set of valves and guides to the parts list, just to be on the safe side this time :)

Dont know what was the reason the first engine blew. Might it have been that the previous owner had a problem with cambelt slipping and decided not to change all the valves, just the bent ones and that some were left though cracked. Or is it that these engines are like butter and break down all the time?

f**king hell !!!!

Its a bit of a shitter whats happened mate but i guess the good thing is things are happening to get the car back on the road althought you'll be a bit lighter £££'s wise :(

If it was a material defect in the valve itself, couldn't you keep all the evidence and try and claim to Renault for defective materials etc if your car had full Renault service history ?

Or would they just f**k you off with the valve has seen intense heat and cooling down over its lifetime and has weakened it or some b****cks like that ?

I guess there alway a bit of money to be made from what you have left part wise from your old engine though :)

CB1N
f**king hell !!!!

Its a bit of a s**tter whats happened mate but i guess the good thing is things are happening to get the car back on the road althought you'll be a bit lighter £££'s wise :(

If it was a material defect in the valve itself, couldn't you keep all the evidence and try and claim to Renault for defective materials etc if your car had full Renault service history ?

Or would they just f**k you off with the valve has seen intense heat and cooling down over its lifetime and has weakened it or some b****cks like that ?

I guess there alway a bit of money to be made from what you have left part wise from your old engine though :)

Well I am aware of what you are saying, and the mentioned happened 400km after the cambelt and aux belt sets service which had been done by Renault service. My friend that works there told me that before the service cambelt hadn't been timed properly, and had a slight misfire though which disappeared after the service. The previous owner must have gone to a local garage which had no proper tools. I also heard that he had had problems with cambelt slipping which resulted in bending few valves. He might have changed the ones that were visually damaged and left some old ones that looked ok and should have been binned.

I am afraid that there are no such things as claims for defective materials in Montenegro :( Here u have to be hit by a car to get some compensation.

Not many parts which I can sell from my old engine. Cams are ok, and no other parts that I can use. I can make a really nice table from my engine block though :)

But the most important thing is not to give up. It is not an ordinary car and I think it should be kept and enjoyed. My car is the only clio sport 172 in the whole country, which is a bit difficult when finding used parts. But we have a great Renault service so I can always order new ones.

I have waited for 5 months to find an used 172 engine, finally I got it and now I am having it rebuilt with new parts: big end rod bearings, piston rings, gasket and sealer set, new valve guides, valves, sparkplugs and clutch kit. All done by Renault and I get a full warranty for engine.

Looking for 182
Thanks for posting the photos James, it's good to know exactly what happened.

Hopefully I'll be seeing you later next week to pick the car up :)

A ANIMAL
Glad its moving on :D

Offers still there if you want a lift up there mate. i'm sure James and Tom will come for a beer

IIRC aren't the F4R valves cast? i know Steve (sm_wrc) on here had some issues.

320d
Glad its getting sorted for you mate. The bills a nightmare but hopefully you should have no more issues with it.

Looking for 182
Glad its moving on :D

Offers still there if you want a lift up there mate. i'm sure James and Tom will come for a beer

IIRC aren't the F4R valves cast? i know Steve (sm_wrc) on here had some issues.

Thanks for the offer mate. I think I'm going to stay at my sister's the night before though and go from there as she lives a bit closer than me.

Should be picking it up on Saturday, hurrah :)

Engine is back in the car, all ready to go - literally just got in from a manic day (172 cambelt / 172 RS works / and your engine rebuild/fitting all in one day) - time for bed :sleepy:

We were going to fire her up but we're totally out of oil filters and at 10pm there is not a lot you can do!

Looking for 182
Engine is back in the car, all ready to go - literally just got in from a manic day (172 cambelt / 172 RS works / and your engine rebuild/fitting all in one day) - time for bed :sleepy:

We were going to fire her up but we're totally out of oil filters and at 10pm there is not a lot you can do!

Wow, looks like you had a busy day. Let's hope the car doesn't have a catastrophic failure when you start it up today/tomorrow :p

It's good to know everything is back in place. I can't wait until Saturday, I'm very excited :)

Wow, looks like you had a busy day. Let's hope the car doesn't have a catastrophic failure when you start it up today/tomorrow :p

It's good to know everything is back in place. I can't wait until Saturday, I'm very excited :)

Nothing like thinking positive mate :rasp:

Looking for 182
I should be picking it up on Saturday. I've got to get the train up to London and then out to West Drayton, ready for a blast down the M25 to home :)

Clio 182ff
I should be picking it up on Saturday. I've got to get the train up to London and then out to West Drayton, ready for a blast down the M25 to home :)

been following this with much interest and I am proper pleased it's all ok now - those boys at JMS are looking impressive.

An engine rebuild is no mean feat tbh.

Will you be at FCS this year?

CB1N
@ScarySquirrel

Picked my Clio from renault yesterday, total rebuild of the new engine done by my friend working there. A great sigh of joy :)

He told me to be easy on the revs for the first 1000-1500 km, so that new parts could break in nicely.

Glad it's ok for u mate; been in the same shoes....

Bye

Looking for 182
been following this with much interest and I am proper pleased it's all ok now - those boys at JMS are looking impressive.

An engine rebuild is no mean feat tbh.

Will you be at FCS this year?

They have been fantastic, I'll certainly be singing their praises once the car has been picked up.

I won't be, I only found out what it was recently (only had the Clio a little under 2 months). I'll probably look to go next year though :)

@ScarySquirrel

Picked my Clio from renault yesterday, total rebuild of the new engine done by my friend working there. A great sigh of joy :)

He told me to be easy on the revs for the first 1000-1500 km, so that new parts could break in nicely.

Glad it's ok for u mate; been in the same shoes....

Bye

Thanks for the advice. This wasn't a rebuild though, it is a 2nd hand used engine which has gone in. Should I still take care for the first few hundred miles?