ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

04BGFF182CLIORS
Had massive fun with this, seriously great game! Looking to move it on if anyone is interested, £20 posted?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
7a600af9a4f09b4248cd257f7d1c4aab.jpg

Pic from tonight's session..... Now everyone go out and buy! Lol

It'll T-Cut out.

For anyone getting this. The game really does get far better the more you play, more so than most other games.
The orc nemesis system gets more in depth the further in you play, which is what I spent a lot of my time doing.... hunting down war chiefs and their bodyguards. Plus more special abilities which add massively to the combat, as well as your chances of survival in a big horde.

I've read some people have found they die a lot and find it difficult ..... but if you don't stand still, instead jump and roll and pick off orcs on outside of the pack rather than attacking the whole crowd head on.

The more abilities you gain the more head on you can go at it.... further in your running at crowds doing a load of instant executions, with heads rolling all round and orcs fleeing in terror. Its epic! !! [emoji48]

Doubt I'll ever sell this as its such fun to have a quick stroll into orc fortresses and take the lot of them on! [emoji38]

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
As said above, I was very tempted to trade this in after 3 or 4 hours play. I was just wandering around getting into fights which I found repetitive. Decided to stick it back in, do a few main missions and play it a bit more and it's a fantastic game. Unlocking the perks and upgrades is brilliant and really adds to the gameplay, too. The combat system is similar to Batman and the animations is cloned from Assassin's Creed. Nemesis Engine is excellent, I can see a lot of games using that feature in the future. Very clever how the enemy's evolve and become more powerful, even remembering past battles. One Captain even found me up on one of the high towers and shouted, "You can hide up there, but I'll find you eventually." Thought that was pretty cool that dialect was based on my location.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
I've played this briefly and really enjoyed it so I'm going to buy it at some point. It can get repetitive IF you let it, as in if you're only interested in charging in trying to batter the whole of mordor head on then it's going to get boring very quick. But if you've got half an imagination and like to mix things up it becomes a very enjoyable and always changing game, especially with the nemesis system which I found to be quite frustrating at times in an amusing way as it gives you solid goals and when you finally cut off the head of that orc that's been tormenting you for ages, it's very satisfying.

As said above, I was very tempted to trade this in after 3 or 4 hours play. I was just wandering around getting into fights which I found repetitive. Decided to stick it back in, do a few main missions and play it a bit more and it's a fantastic game. Unlocking the perks and upgrades is brilliant and really adds to the gameplay, too. The combat system is similar to Batman and the animations is cloned from Assassin's Creed. Nemesis Engine is excellent, I can see a lot of games using that feature in the future. Very clever how the enemy's evolve and become more powerful, even remembering past battles. One Captain even found me up on one of the high towers and shouted, "You can hide up there, but I'll find you eventually." Thought that was pretty cool that dialect was based on my location.
Yeah. Its got some superb little unscripted parts like that. [emoji5]

I kept getting stalked by a hunter orc captain and just before I'd kill him each time we met, he'd manage to flee! Was so satisfying killing the b*****d eventually after our 4th encounter!

Each time we met he'd say "I'm going to finish you this time!" "I knew I'd find you here again!" Etc etc
The voice acting is great too.

Its satisfying interrogating orcs to gain Intel on a captains weaknesses, then going in and easily defeating them with said knowledge. [emoji48] sneaky

Think it's clear I love this game...... lol

AK

M240i
@Scutch
The season pass forMiddle-earth: Shadow of Mordorwill feature new challenge modes, narrative-driven hunt missions and the chance for players to come face-to-face with the Dark Lord Sauron, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today.
Available for $24.99, the season pass includes three new sets of story missions. The "Guardians of the Flaming Eye" Orc Warband mission will pit players against the most elite of the Black Gate's guards, while "Lord of the Hunt" grants access to new hunt missions for the chance to collect more powerful runes. "The Bright Lord" mission allows players to control Celebrimbor as he wields the One Ring of Power in battle against Sauron.
Additionally, season pass buyers will get early access to the "Trials of War" challenges, which include an Endless Challenge mode that tasks players with cutting down waves of enemies for new upgrades and skills. These modes include online leaderboards.
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordorlaunches tomorrow for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC, with PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions coming on Nov. 18. For more details on the game, check out our review, and read up on the history of The Lord of the Ringsin video games in our in-depth feature.

It's good for 13 to be fair.

5 odd character skins, new beasthunter missions (haven't tried yet)
And there's a challenge mode, I tried one. Speed one = 1 warchief, 5 captains in under 15mins. Up to 3 deaths.

Did it in 8:36 with no deaths first try.

I did notice last night though, my health level was struggling. As I'd changed all of my weapon runes to newly acquired epic runes, I'd removed ones such as 20% chance of a heal on executions. Found during long battles in fortresses ny health was feigning, had to make a mad dash out to.find healing herbs then run back in.

So good tip, ensure you have healing runes such as 10 health on a bow headshot etc. Gonna 're do my runes tonight!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
4 hours in
f**king sick of being killed constantly. Boring.

Why are you being killed? You need to block and counter a lot. If you don't, you will die.

Also don't be afraid to run away like a chicken s**t. If you're losing health, run about and find herbs to build your health back up.

Here:

Trust me, once you start unlocking perks and upgrades, it's much, much better. It's rare an orc will kill me now. The captains are warchief's do get more difficult, but dying ultimately means the enemy becomes stronger! Which makes it even more satisfying when you revenge kill them.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Why are you being killed? You need to block and counter a lot. If you don't, you will die.

Also don't be afraid to run away like a chicken s**t. If you're losing health, run about and find herbs to build your health back up.

Here:

Trust me, once you start unlocking perks and upgrades, it's much, much better. It's rare an orc will kill me now. The captains are warchief's do get more difficult, but dying ultimately means the enemy becomes stronger! Which makes it even more satisfying when you revenge kill them.

I press counter. I didn't realise there was a block button tbf. I just hit X a lot.

Here:

Perfect advice [emoji106] [emoji106]
I press counter. I didn't realise there was a block button tbf. I just hit X a lot.
I didn't want to say your probably button bashing.... but yeah. Use counter all the time, then unleash.

Good tactic is to stun punch (b or circle) a few of them to buy time and kill some other. Once you get flurry kill ability you can unleash hell.

If there's a large crowd and you have elf shot and focus..... even mid fight just step back a meter or 2 then take 2 or 3 out with headshots. Thins them out a bit...
If your in a fortress you can climb higher up a tower etc and as they climb up after you.. push them off or at least they'll come up one at a time so makes things easier for you to pick them off.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I think I figured it out now. Have more runes and more health. I've taken to just running away when it gets a bit too mental.
Just took out my first warchief

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I think I figured it out now. Have more runes and more health. I've taken to just running away when it gets a bit too mental.
Just took out my first warchief

There you go. Once you unlock and purchase abilities it gets better.

Wraith Flash/Blast (once you build your hot counter up, your sword turns blue. You can then strike the ground which stuns and knocks down enemies - very handy!)

My favourite ability is Double Charge, which basically gives you 2x special move once your hit counter has built up. Excellent for 2 execution moves.

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor/Abilities

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
There you go. Once you unlock and purchase abilities it gets better.

Wraith Flash/Blast (once you build your hot counter up, your sword turns blue. You can then strike the ground which stuns and knocks down enemies - very handy!)

My favourite ability is Double Charge, which basically gives you 2x special move once your hit counter has built up. Excellent for 2 execution moves.

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor/Abilities
That Wraith Flash has helped me no end

Yeah. It does take a bit of getting into. Finding your techniques. .... but once you do and your abilities grow, you turn into a serious bad ass decimating hordes of them!

Last night I walked into a fortress, left the alarm go off and took on a warchief, 3 captains and the mass of orcs who respond to the alarm..... epic satisfaction! !

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
At the point now where I can't kill any of the stuff near the main missions. Getting 2 shotted by people I can't get close to killing.
I know it says to hunt down the bodyguards to get to the warchief, but at the moment there are 5 captains in the stronghold to the far right, and millions of normal orcs spawn. f**king ridiculous.

Last edited:
I had one fortress part where I struggled and that was a few hours in too... probably the same spot.

Best thing to do, unless you already have, is scope out who are the captain's in the fortress.
Then collect Intel on them. Intel is THE most important thing to taking down captains and war chiefs easily.

It can be the difference between a 5 minute battle leading to death.... to say, if their vulnerable to ranged or stealth finishers, all you need to do is get up high above them and one head shot of bow, or a stealth drop execution and that's the captain dead!! [emoji5] Then run away/hide and take the next one out.

Just roam the land for a short time interrogating the orcs with the green icon. Then pick the captain's off one by one. Its proper satisfying when you finally destroy them all.

Another option is instead of focusing on this mission, go do the side missions. The ones with a bow, dagger and sword icon. Doing these can speed up abilities unlocking, so you stand better chance of taking fortress on.

Dead rising 3 maybe? Easy, no brainer, killing fun. Probably can be had for cheap now too.

No invisible walls, kill whatever you like. Its tactics and a bit of technique. It is harder than your average game but that's what I fins satisfying. Further in you get, the easier and better it gets.

I caved and ended up buying this last night. £30 from Asda, £28 from Tesco. Only got an hours playing in but definitely hooked already!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I need to start playing again, been concentrating on GTA too long

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Finally started playing this over the weekend - PC version with the Xbox One controller. Love it. Trying to lure one or two enemies away at a time to take them out before going head-to-head with the Captains and tougher enemies; great fun. :)

Mito Sportiva 135
I got given Assasin's Creed Unity yesterday but not sure whether to swap it for this, or maybe Far Cry 4? Essentially I want a fairly quickfire action game to play in between Destiny and Dragon Age, so something which is quite self contained, fun and not too long.

What would everyone recommend?