ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing and refitting F4R head + valves

LY 182
Ah I see, don't worry about that then. Waste of time as they're shouldn't be any pitting in it really and its only an oil seal at the end of the day not like the airtight seal you need between the bottom end and the head.

oh, for the cam cover yes - i thought we were on about the block and head!

BMW M135i
Oh yeah hes got the head off as well :eek:, for some reason I thought he'd only got the cam cover off. Be worth I bash on the head/block faces then I guess.

edit: Yeh I was on about the cam cover as said! Oops.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I thought we were talking about the head/bottom end for W&D'ing - do i need to do both?

for the cam cover i was just going to clean up both surfaces and apply some instant gasket or similar

how do I go about removing the hydraulics?

do I need to do anything to piston 2? (marked)

LY 182
yes, ALL mating surfaces need to be as good as possible - paying particular attention to block and head.
also need to be free from grease and oil.

hydrualics just sit in the holes in the head, just pull out with your fingers.
the rockers pivot on those and the valves.
once they are out they will each want a little nip in the vice (you will see oil come out as you do this) before you start they will be rock hard cant squeeze them.
after you have done them in the vice they should feel a bit spongey when squeezing them by hand

and no, nothing you can do (or need to do) to the piston

'92 172, Lotus Elise
ok brilliant! :D

I've not tried actually removing the hydraulics, so sorry for the silly question :D

I've just had a read through the workshop manual and that answers most of my questions..

apart from having to use a roller to apply the gasket paste to the camcover!! :D :D

you've all been so patient with me :eek: cheers :D

LY 182
dont need to use a roller - just get a tube of it and run a nice little bead - you dont need to go mad just a line of sealant is all thats needed long as you get it all the way round

Bmh - I thought you were the man LOL!! only kiddin your a pretty clever b****d (most of the time ;))

easy mistake

PS I really hope you get it all sorted matteh! look on the bright side though even though youv had to f*** around doing all this to the engine at least your learning a s** load of stuff which will come in useful in the future!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yup

makes me look cool to the neighbors too, with my engine in bits and me poking it as if I know what I'm doing :D

BMW M135i
Oh btw just to be pedantic they're hydraulic tappets not hydraulics! You'd get a funny look if you needed to order some ;).

Bmh - I thought you were the man LOL!! only kiddin your a pretty clever b****d (most of the time ;))

I'm on nights this week, it doesn't put me at my best :eek:.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
so to 'reset' them.. i take them out, squeeze em in a vice and replace?

the workshop manual thing says to soak them in diesel :S

'92 172, Lotus Elise
more noob questions :eek:

my inlet pulley can rotate a few degrees with respect to the camshaft - I assume this is normal and to do with the vvt (or is it broken :D)

only thing is, looking through the instructions on how to time it up, it doesnt seem to make any reference to this... i.e. I could fit it with it turned fully clockwise with respect to the camshaft or turned counter-clockwise. surely this will make a huge difference, but doesnt seem to be discussed in the manuals?! :S

1.2 clio grande + 172bhp
you need a e14 socket to undo head bolts, also when fitting new valves you need to grind em in, i would avoid getting parts from renault as it will cost lot of £. pm us if u struggling with out i'm a renault mechanic..:evil:

1.2 clio grande + 172bhp
also another thing u gonna struggle timing yr engine up without renault timing tools, the bottom pulley isnt on a key way, once u undo that 18mm yr ****ed without the timing pin to lock the crank up:(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the crank is currently locked in TDC and I've got the timing tools being delivered... at some point.

I've removed the head already (so have the E14)

I've already replaced the broken valve and lapped the others so thats sorted too

so how does oil pressure change the timing?

BMW M135i
When the VVT solenoid opens it sends oil down the centre of the inlet cam to the VVT phase shifter in the pulley and advances (iirc) the inlet timing by 16degrees.

It shouldn't move when the engine is off, mine never did.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
could it be because mine has drained of oil? - I'm on about moving it when its out the car

'92 172, Lotus Elise
th_DSCF1444.jpg

surely its meant to move? :S

'92 172, Lotus Elise
sod it, bought one from renault :(

Looks like there have been 2 updates since the one I have.. hopefully it won't break again!

now there should be nothing stopping me from building this damn thing :(

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
what a shitter

that 172 engine i was selling now has CAT cams, AWT headwork and matched inlets ... hmmmmm

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yeh, thanks ben ;)

engine has been rebuilt now :)

I've done it by the book (hopefully :D) and have torqued everything up etc and generally took my time, so I hope it's ok!

my pulley and timing tools should arrive tomorrow... shouldnt take *too* long to time up the cambelt, should it? :S

DSCF1451.jpg