ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

show us your desktop !!

Bumblebee
100_1490.jpg

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I thought it was all eye candy too, but being completly honest its not.. I really find myself using multiple desktops now with all my work stuff on one desktop with music players, web pages such as CS on another. And its so easy to move windows around and sort out the clutter if you have too many windows open.

Yep, but that's all standard stuff.. XGL just made it prettier. :)
I was using multiple workspaces in various window managers years ago.. I just didn't have a cube rotating and taking longer than an instant to get me to my desired workspace :p

XGL/Compiz is very nice.. when I was showing people at Uni it.. every single person said it's very neat.. it's just got the wow factor, but it didn't improve my productivity at all (infact, it made it worse.. I just wobbled windows all day and made the cube rotate at high speed :rasp:)

Ya got me wrong, Ive been using windows managers with multiple desktops for years aswell, but ive never really found them usefull until xgl just moving windows between desktops is so much easier and better. It takes longer (by what 0.3 of a second ?) but it also (in my head anyway) makes me able to organise the desktop better as you can see physically see it moving to the other desktop.

Its deffinatly a wow factor when you see it the first time.. and I agree first time I used it I just spent all day wobbling live videos playing, and making them sticky to stuff ;)

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
^^^^

Why have you got so many toolbars open though lol, our CAD teacher wouldnt let us have them to make us learn the short cuts!

Looks quite inpressive non the less though

I cycle through my motorsport picture folders on a weekly basis, this week it's this, probably my favourite shot for a long time...

105326498-L.jpg

Yep, but that's all standard stuff.. XGL just made it prettier. :)
I was using multiple workspaces in various window managers years ago.. I just didn't have a cube rotating and taking longer than an instant to get me to my desired workspace :p

XGL/Compiz is very nice.. when I was showing people at Uni it.. every single person said it's very neat.. it's just got the wow factor, but it didn't improve my productivity at all (infact, it made it worse.. I just wobbled windows all day and made the cube rotate at high speed :rasp:)

Ya got me wrong, Ive been using windows managers with multiple desktops for years aswell, but ive never really found them usefull until xgl just moving windows between desktops is so much easier and better. It takes longer (by what 0.3 of a second ?) but it also (in my head anyway) makes me able to organise the desktop better as you can see physically see it moving to the other desktop.

Its deffinatly a wow factor when you see it the first time.. and I agree first time I used it I just spent all day wobbling live videos playing, and making them sticky to stuff ;)

yea, I guess that's the joy of using Linux - you can work how you want pretty easily. If it works for you.. then it's the best thing ever :)

Anyway, wobbly windows > * :p

^^^^

Why have you got so many toolbars open though lol, our CAD teacher wouldnt let us have them to make us learn the short cuts!

Looks quite inpressive non the less though

Cheers :D

Coz i'm using them all. lol.

Its PDS, which is a highway design package which 'bolts on' to AutoCAD. Which means there is a shitload of commands to remember. so just clicking the button makes things easier. :D

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ looking good.. been meaning to try the new ubuntu.. how you finding it ? supposed to be really sleek ?

182 Cup Inferno
this is my latest one looking down on where i live! took it a few months ago

IMG_1801.jpg

click to enlarge!

Not a Clio
^^ looking good.. been meaning to try the new ubuntu.. how you finding it ? supposed to be really sleek ?

To be honest not much different to Dapper.

Gnome 2.16, Boot up and shutdown is faster, art work is different, themes now support rounded windows, built in AIGLX is handy but apart from updated programs it's pretty much the same. There's probably a few other things that I've forgotten / don't use though. Oh and it comes with FF 2.0.

When I first read Marks hopes for Edgy about it being bleeding edge and all it sounded really exciting but the reality is it's nothing amazing when compared to Dapper.

I don't know if you have an Ubuntu install already but going by people's experiences it's best to do a clean install as the upgrade process has caused people a few headaches.

It is very stable though, I've not had anything freak out on me and I installed it a month before release.

sorry was going to boing this. ^ I've been playing all day with this and its great. Might increase the size of the partition and start using it as my primary operating system as its stable as fook.

Not a Clio
Excuse the burn screenshot the artifact only happens in screenshots.

th_December01.gif
th_December02.gif
th_December03.gif

Click to enlarge.

Mells, if my eyes aren't mistaken you've got a Kubuntu wallpaper on Ubuntu?