ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah I didn't take much of an interest until the M8 and G3 as they were all a bit average compared to my iPhone at the time. They need a proper new phone then with topline spec... M9 or similar.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't find the camera that bad in the shop against my nexus 5, saying that nexus' are rebound for poor cameras.

Yeah, entirely depends what phone you compare to, I know it sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, but got Camera FV-5 in the PlayStore, and now I have most of the usual DSLR options, its ridiculously good on this OPO.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was always wary of camera apps, not sure why. Guess it was my thinking, how can you make a better picture just by having a different app, camera etc is still the same.

My contract is up at the moment and was hoping that they released a better camera version of the M8 yesterday. Bit of a bummer that they didnt.
What phone would people recommend to pickup at the moment? Not fussed whether its Android or Apple.

I was always wary of camera apps, not sure why. Guess it was my thinking, how can you make a better picture just by having a different app, camera etc is still the same.

It is, but they access the full camera API, and give you the ability to change focus (points and type), shutter speed etc - so it's more down to the person using it :)

I guess it's a case of shooting in auto vs manual kinda thing.

Tempting. Havent had an iphone for around 2 years and the 6 looks very nice.
The m8 works outs a fair bit cheaper though ... hmmmm

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
M8 has been out for a while, if you don't want to go for the Note 4 size wise which is the new king of spec then a iPhone 6 would probably be my shout. Maybe feel quite restrictive after years with Android.

LG G3, Sony Z3 etc. Z3 is new. Moto X?

M8 has been out for a while, if you don't want to go for the Note 4 size wise which is the new king of spec then a iPhone 6 would probably be my shout. Maybe feel quite restrictive after years with Android.

LG G3, Sony Z3 etc. Z3 is new. Moto X?

To be honest I generally leave my phone as it comes form the factory most of the time so I dont think going back to Apple would be as big a deal for me as it would for some people.
iPhones hold their value well too so I suppose if I look at it that way the initial higher price isn't so bad.

G3 looks a bit plastic so Ill have a look in store today at the Z3, M8 and Iphone.

Tbh, if you're not fussed by either - go with which you use currently (Android or iOS) - so if you have any paid apps you don't have to buy them again :]

Btw, did you guys see that Google actually tried to by Cyanogenmod for 2 billion? Seems they think they're a real threat to Android (as it's opensource) as their own OS.

What is this? lol! I've never really delved properly in to the world of android and always stuck with stock setup on my nexi

Community driven version of Android, it's basically Android but with good tweaks + additions :)

It's nice because unlike most ROMs that say they do X Y and Z, and provide lame themes with it (you know the ones, horrible icons and transformer-like backgrounds), you get it nice and clean, but with all the fixes + functionality. It's actually the stock ROM for the OPO :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Like OEM+? Sounds very cool. I always wonder why they don't listen to specific consumers. I guess things like touchwizz suits the masses.

Yeah exactly! I think it's available for pretty much most Android phones out there too, certainly at least all the mainstream ones.

They even made a theme engine which works amazing, literally everything can be skinned (that's how I'm running Android L look&feel).

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Tbh, if you're not fussed by either - go with which you use currently (Android or iOS) - so if you have any paid apps you don't have to buy them again :]

Btw, did you guys see that Google actually tried to by Cyanogenmod for 2 billion? Seems they think they're a real threat to Android (as it's opensource) as their own OS.
I seriously doubt this. Yen maybe.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah read the same article. Google didn't offer anything like $1bn.
They (Cyanogen) want a valuation at $1bn, which is laughable because they were valued a year ago at $100m tops.

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Is it hard to flash back? Would I have to find the standard N5 software to do so?

Depends on the phone I guess, on XDA-Developers there's usually a thread containing all stock firmware, so just a case of flashing over the top :)

That's what I did when I sold my S4 - flashed the original firmware back, factory reset, good as new :)

The nice thing is with flashing back is that it usually contains the default recovery software too (and radio and kernel), so one flash and you have a completely stock phone!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Don't most things have warranty fail-safes like knox etc on the Samsung?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Last edited:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
HTC turned up today. Fantastic phone, extremely responsive and the camera is no where near as bad as people say!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As I said it won't be bad! It would still be my pick of the other Android phones.

I'm excited to see what they do next.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Some of the features on the Note are insane. Very impressed and an extensive review, especially for someone who hasn't had one before ...

2014 Focus Titanium
Some of the features on the Note are insane. Very impressed and an extensive review, especially for someone who hasn't had one before ...

Still looks laggy to me, that would do my head in (10:02, dat lag!). I'd definitely have a samsung phone again if they got TW into shape. (I'll stop banging on about this now, I've made my point).

Does have some good features though.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Wife has a note 3, beautiful phone but couldn't i personally couldn't live with the touchwiz interface, android looks and behaves so much better with the stock settings app rather than the crap Samsung for dummies one.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I have to agree with you guys after now playing with different phones M8 especially. But... the phones itself and running more than makes up for it imo. I haven't seen any real lag but I understand the TW hate if you're used to a sleeker system.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I have to agree with you guys after now playing with different phones M8 especially. But... the phones itself and running more than makes up for it imo. I haven't seen any real lag but I understand the TW hate if you're used to a sleeker system.

Have you considered the oneplus one? I've heard very good things about it on another forum I use and the guys on here with it seem to be very happy with it. CM11 is absolutely brilliant as an OS as well, stock but with tweaks that make it even better. I'm running CM11 on my Nexus 4, I'm really tempted by the oneplus just to get a bigger screen (dunno how people cope with small screens on smart phones) and that's my only reason because the N4 is still a stonkingly good phone.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
In regards to that lag! Come use my iPhone5, it's far from perfect, it stutters a lot now, that's fact.

I wouldn't buy a OPO if i'm honest. I don't like the look of it which is a big thing for me, it would have to be G4/M9 etc to tempt me. Something "flagship" and a brand. No harm to OPO but probably aimed more at techy people.

Also, expandable memory etc is something I really wanted. I'm so impressed by some of the basic things my missus can do on her S4 even and my colleagues S5, I believe i'd get use out of them. Piracy being one thing.

That's why I run custom ROMs imo, Touchwiz was nice (had S4 previously), but it just wasn't snappy enough.

Now I'm on stock launcher (I used to use Nova Launcher which is lightning quick, but don't see the point now), and it's awesome.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Voids warranty and ruins the S pen features (barring maybe some third party app). Just like jailbreaking really. Not sure i'd want to do that on a new phone. Android L may change things!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The S pen is a crap and pointless gimmick anyway, my wife has lost hers anyway as it fell out somewhere!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The S pen is a crap and pointless gimmick anyway, my wife has lost hers anyway as it fell out somewhere!
In your opinion, I feel I would make good use it with the larger screen. Still, it voids warranty and loses one key feature.

It's a shame HTC haven't launched a new flagship as I really like the M8.