ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo project!!!

A

ashy_gtt

Yep, plus a Meg 'box is longer IIRC

Ask Fred, when he tried to fit one with the 225 engine ;)

I really would invest in some Quaife action though

Yeah its longer, might just squeeze into a clio though? We've had to go for a JB series box on the R5 225 :(

6 speed and LSD would be nice!

Track valver + Ibiza FR
soft lad;) me n my mate went jords have a chat then immi christopher and sum1 else turned up lol, cs mini-meet at jords in the cold FTL lol, have you still not cleaned you car either ryan, bet its aweful now

Where was my invite to this 'meet' :dapprove:.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
All i can say is oops :s was driving down the road to get tickets for the rally when the engine started to make a funny noice. Soon as that happened i pulled over to see what it was and i had no oil as all and down the side of the right had side had oil on it. Then went around the back of the car to find the boot full of it.
Called the RAC they came and towed me off the motorway he halped me take off the bumper off to find a hole in the oil cooler pipe :S. We took the oil cooler off and filled it with oil run ok for bit then started tapping bad. Tomorrow it looks like the head will be coming off to see if its the lifters.

Ive got a video of the noise its making so will put it up in a bit.

Its tapping very very loud thought the bottom end had gone but it seems ok. doing 70 with no oil at all is not good

320d
Gutted Ryan. Hopefully there will be no major damage. As above guages may be useful to ensure no more problems like this happen.

FLOL!

sorry to hear this mate. oil cooler hoses braded? How did the hole appear? suspect it rubbed on something?
ye its braded looks like it was rubbing on a air con pip i think i will put a pic up tomorrow. Should be back on the road as normal tomorrow.

Fiesta Zetec S
...and for those of you who want the misfortune of hearing the engine...

th_04122008005.jpg

th_04122008007.jpg

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Sorry....but that to me sounds very bottom endy indeed!!

Gutted though mate - get some gauges for next time - Dual SPA Oil Temp/Pressure should be perfect for you I'd imagine!!

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Sounds like bottom end AND top end, but with a bottom end like that oil pressure will be right down and cause lack of oil up top.

I'd start with another engine!

Bottom end isnt making any noise at all iv had it up on stands its coming from 4th cylinder and abit on number 2.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Mate.....as soon as you put the slightest bit of load on the engine in the 2nd video you can hear the bottom end knocking its box off - as pmurray says yes its probably top end you can hear at idle aswell - no point messing about really I'd be changing the engine.....I hope it hasnt taken your turbo out in the process too!! :(

Its not the bottom end knocking lol all the noise is from the top it got me 70 miles home. wasnt even knocking for 50 miles then started doing that.

f**ked ph1 172
big ends are fubared! wouldn't be suprised to see the bores needing work and possibly new pistons.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Ryan....trust me mate...I dont care if it got you to Australia & back again - its your bottom end!!! Worn top end tends to rattle, worn bottom end knocks! lol.

Ryan....trust me mate...I dont care if it got you to Australia & back again - its your bottom end!!! Worn top end tends to rattle, worn bottom end knocks! lol.
Im not saying its not lol Im stripping engine tonight so will find out what the problem is then.

ValverInBits
As soon as you loose the oil pressure to the journal bearings, you start to grind away at the big ends. You'd be very lucky if it lasted 20 seconds at reduced oil pressure.
The metal on metal grinding forces are far less.

I know it's bad news, but it's going to be the big ends. Crank regrind me thinks.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
70 miles!!!!!!!!!! That gives a good chance to kill everything using the same oil, aka turbo.

If it's not spun at least 4 bearings i will be shocked!

Fiesta Zetec S
Blimey, its a bit bossy on here Ryan! Not very sympathetic either! I put the videos up on ZSOC too in the 'Off Topic' Forum :)

f**ked ph1 172
you wont hear big ends on idle.

only when revving and under load.

you can clearly hear it on the 2nd vid thats posted.

R56 JCW
No offence Ryan, that 5k could have been spent on summit else, than making a massive failure like u have, its a rig up, u rushed it when something like this needs time taking.

Ill hold my hands up, I havent a clue about putting a turbo on a car, but I do know u rushed it and you could have took your time, and all i can say is, its ur own fault

f**ked it good stylz :approve:.... Gutted:dapprove:

I would be worried about how this might have effected the turbo.... My fresh turbo was fucked in about 10 minutes of driving after the lower oil return hose from the turbo started leaking.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
As soon as you loose the oil pressure to the journal bearings, you start to grind away at the big ends. You'd be very lucky if it lasted 20 seconds at reduced oil pressure.
The metal on metal grinding forces are far less.

I know it's bad news, but it's going to be the big ends. Crank regrind me thinks.

70 miles!!!!!!!!!! That gives a good chance to kill everything using the same oil, aka turbo.

If it's not spun at least 4 bearings i will be shocked!

Unfortunately, you need to listen to these guys. That noise is the bowels of the engine. Oil starvation will very quickly affect your crank journals/bearings. I'd check the turbo as well, the worst thing for a turbo is starvation. :(

I'd take the chance to break the engine down, re-grind the journals, hone the bores, replace bearings and check and double-check everything. Do it properly FTW.

Still, gutting to hear this dude, if you need an extra pair of hands, let me know! :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
No offence Ryan, that 5k could have been spent on summit else, than making a massive failure like u have, its a rig up, u rushed it when something like this needs time taking.

Ill hold my hands up, I havent a clue about putting a turbo on a car, but I do know u rushed it and you could have took your time, and all i can say is, its ur own fault

Lawl!

Harsh

:coffee: