ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbocharger or Supercharger??

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Same as anything and it depends how it's driven really. Our stock engine that we ran at silly boost is fully stripped and there was only a problem on the crappy cast on one piston's ring land. Pretty good for a 100k engine really. The mechanical side can be a minefield on these at times anyway, we've seen totally standard 40k cars throw a rod for no reason then others are abused so much and just take anything you throw at them!

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I will be investing in a supercharger kit this time next year if the kits prove themselves.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing the conversion yet as there are quite a few unknowns with regards to how it will effect the cars 'long term' even though GDI seem to be leading the way with successful testing.

car in question has done over 8k since install all on a 100+k original engine, not bad considering the idiot driving it

Tav

Clio 197
Supercharger FTW!!!

[youtube]XPhTFQFMI5Q[/youtube]

^^^ That's an Eaton M45 doing it's loudest + best to create 190bhp from 1341cc and 8v's. The engine was originally designed in the 70's and had 45bhp from 1272cc. The supercharged standard car with 8:1CR has 115bhp. You need to spend the money to make boost reliable. That now has forged pistons and a good intercooler set up to keep things running cool. Linear delivery, the noise and the performance of superchargers are great. If you're not chasing numbers I'd pick one over a turbo. I wouldn't be surprised if the Polo had more than 100k on it before the huge increase in power.

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
Tav, those eatons sound so annoying.

Go for a turbo if you've got the cash. And get someone to make you a proper manifold for it.

Focus RS Mk1
my 2p's worth.

supercharger all the time!

and for whoever said you cant run S/c with ITB's, yes you can and you defo dont need to remove all 4 throttles! ;)

Ph1
More power, HUGELY improved reliability, less torque sub-3k so it's actually driveable...and some would say the noise...other would disagree.

Probably more reliable but for out and out power a stage 5 set up would take some beating.

Tav

Clio 197
The figures speak for themselves, Eaton cars run higher power mod-for-mod. The G40 is a good supercharger for producing low down boost but it's not as suited to producing large amounts of boost at high rpm's as the M45...it was originally designed as a pump in the 1800's. You don't generally get G40's over 180-190...Eaton or 2 running at 220...Turbo is ideal as you save so much without the parasitic loss of driving the charger. You'd reap. the costs back in a few charger rebuilds, £300-500 every 20k miles hurts.

2005 Nissan Navara
Horses for courses really, centrifugal chargers like the rotrex are better suited to ~standard Cr engines, so they are ideal for the bolt-on market.

ITB'd MK1
The figures speak for themselves, Eaton cars run higher power mod-for-mod. The G40 is a good supercharger for producing low down boost but it's not as suited to producing large amounts of boost at high rpm's as the M45...it was originally designed as a pump in the 1800's. You don't generally get G40's over 180-190...Eaton or 2 running at 220...Turbo is ideal as you save so much without the parasitic loss of driving the charger. You'd reap. the costs back in a few charger rebuilds, £300-500 every 20k miles hurts.

worth noting the parasitic loses of driving a rotrex are nominal. Tiny in comparison to an Eaton

Tav

Clio 197
worth noting the parasitic loses of driving a rotrex are nominal. Tiny in comparison to an Eaton

I know of one person who fitted one to a Polo, he actually managed to shorten the boost pipe work by about 5ft as well. They seem to be really good...but pricey!

Ph1
So going by the performance stats on the Mazi, Clio must be a mid to low 13 second quarter miler on the strip

Pretty good going :cool: