ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu - a good Linux client?

Punto/Clio GTT
or is my home directory hotkey set as ~ ? so my home folder is ~/Dan/pictures just like my local drive on windows would be c/dan/pictures etc

Punto/Clio GTT
(20:35:53) FM (696): how do i change the location of files where they are downloaded to
(20:36:14) FM (696): in my little download box it says all files downloaded to : Desktop
(20:36:27) FM (696): i click desktop and it brings up my folders, but how do i set it to one of them
(20:37:37) FM (696): when i click on the folder i want it just opens it
(20:37:44) FM (696): theres no "ok" or "save"

Not a Clio
yes or just ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run

To make it easier you could rename the file to something shorter e.g. NVIDIA.run

Then all you'd have to enter would be ~/NVIDIA.run

Punto/Clio GTT
ok cheers i'll do that

got a problem though, ive exited from gnome and got to the login prompt, it happily lets me put my log in name in and hit enter and it asks for password, but it doesnt let me type ANYTHING for the password. my keyboard is just dead apart from the enter button, i hit enter and it just says incorrect password, please login :S

Not a Clio
It will let you enter the password, for security it doesn't give you any stars or anything.

Just type it in and hit enter.

Remember it's case sensitive.

Punto/Clio GTT
sorted, got in, next problem (taking the piss now surely?)

it came upto fm696@fm696-desktop$:

it allowed me to type in after the ":"

typed in;

sudo/etc/init.d/gdm stop

and it came up no such file or directory

Punto/Clio GTT
right sorted, got past that one, it stopped gnome

the first command worked fine sudo apt-get remove nvidia* linux-restricted-modules*

but this one didnt

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) \ build-essential pkg-config xorg-dev

Punto/Clio GTT
DSCF0957.gif

Punto/Clio GTT
i did try it with and without the spaces but it was the second one i took the picture on, brb ill try again with spaces

Punto/Clio GTT
it says it couldnt find em anyway, then if i try just executing the NVIDIA.run, it goes into the set up and i get the error that i need the headers (pics are uploading, 2 secs)

Not a Clio
Try them separate.

One after the other:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
PRESS ENTER
THEN
sudo apt-get install build-essential
PRESS ENTER
THEN
sudo apt-get install pkg-config
PRESS ENTER
THEN
sudo apt-get install xorg-dev
PRESS ENTER

Punto/Clio GTT
right that worked, cheers, got pretty far now, im on #5, problem.

ive extracted

it says copy the wfb module over

cd ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg2/usr/X11R6/lib/modules

tried that and it dont exist. BUT i renamed it to NVIDIA.run, so what folder name will it be?

i tried
cd ~/NVIDIA/usr/X11R6/lib/modules
and
cd ~/NVIDIA.run/usr/X11R6/lib/modules

Fair play to you FM for sticking it out this long, I usually sack it off a lot sooner. I really wanna give it a fair try but having no patience doesn't really help matters.

Punto/Clio GTT
right, how do i get back into my desktop from alt-ctrl-f6

whats the command to get back onto it?

im supposed to open a terminal prompt which i thought was ctrl-alt-f6 but it isnt :(

i dont want to reset my pc as all my settings will f**k up

Punto/Clio GTT
Fair play to you FM for sticking it out this long, I usually sack it off a lot sooner. I really wanna give it a fair try but having no patience doesn't really help matters.

i wanna give it ago, kdf raves about it so might aswell.

first impressions are that its a pain in the arse to set up. it seems faster than vista for general browsing etc, start up is the same time, turn off is the same time.

to sum up linux = a lot of f**king about

Not a Clio
right, how do i get back into my desktop from alt-ctrl-f6

whats the command to get back onto it?

im supposed to open a terminal prompt which i thought was ctrl-alt-f6 but it isnt :(

i dont want to reset my pc as all my settings will f**k up

Not sure where you're up to but to get back in from where you are type:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Punto/Clio GTT
typed that and it accepts it , it comes up Starting GNOME display etc but then it just goes to the next command line. but im sure im hitting my commands from the wrong starting point, its at /etc/modprobe atm, do i need to get it back to my original starting point first? then execute it?

fm696@fm696-desktop/etc/modprobe:

Ive tried Ubuntu numerous times and didn't get on with it tbh, although I know nothing so that probs what I based my opinion as I didn't really known how to operate it. Wasn't a huge fan of the multiple desktops either, and the general appearance of the standard ubuntu desktop.

what's another good distro to try for a newb?

Is SUSE worth a try?

Not a Clio
changes won't be lost but without looking over your shoulder I couldn't tell you whether you'll get back to a GUI heh

Punto/Clio GTT
CMON YOU LINUX PIECE OF ****

me and j are a formidable force, we could take over the world online.

sorted it mate, drivers are in, res is set.

:D

now for the fun stuff

Punto/Clio GTT
right, whats next on the to-do list?

installed, graphics drivers are installed, all updated.

anything else thats a priority before i start customising

Not a Clio
lol mate take a break, you've been at it for ages.

However... Applications -> Add/Remove

Choose "All Available Applications" from the drop down menu

Click Other on the menu at the left

Install Ubuntu-restricted-extras

Ubuntu restricted extras
Commonly used restricted packages
This package depends on some commonly used packages in the Ubuntu multiverse repository.
Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and decoding, support for various other audio formats (gstreamer plugins), Microsoft fonts, Java runtime environment, Flash plugin, LAME (to create compressed audio files), and DVD playback.
Please note that packages from multiverse are restricted by copyright or legal issues in some countries. See http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing for more information.

The use, modification and distribution of Ubuntu restricted extras is restricted by copyright or by legal terms in some countries.

Not a Clio
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it's security!!

Important things ask for your permission. You should NEVER even think about trying to disable it.