ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu - a good Linux client?

Not a Clio
Isn't a shortcut by default. Go to System -> Administration -> System Monitor

You could add it to a panel. Right click -> add to panel -> system monitor

Just click on it to open it up.

Punto/Clio GTT
it crashed halfway through installing the thing you said and now when i goto add/remove i get this

Screenshot.gif

Not a Clio
lol great

run that code in terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

Code:
dpkg --configure -a

If it complains about privileges then stick sudo in front of it.

Punto/Clio GTT
ran it again

fm696@fm696-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sun-java6-plugin:
sun-java6-plugin depends on sun-java6-bin (= 6-00-2ubuntu2); however:
Package sun-java6-bin is not installed.
dpkg: error processing sun-java6-plugin (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubuntu-restricted-extras:
ubuntu-restricted-extras depends on sun-java6-plugin; however:
Package sun-java6-plugin is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing ubuntu-restricted-extras (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
sun-java6-plugin
ubuntu-restricted-extras
fm696@fm696-desktop:~$

Punto/Clio GTT
next problem, every restart my screen res is just restting to factory, when i click save settings this is popping up, ideas?

Screenshot3.gif

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
what are linux-headers anyway? do they need to be installed manually or something?

They are the building blocks for building custom modules for your kernel.. and basically anything else that involves re-using code from the kernel.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
right, how do i get back into my desktop from alt-ctrl-f6

whats the command to get back onto it?

im supposed to open a terminal prompt which i thought was ctrl-alt-f6 but it isnt :(

i dont want to reset my pc as all my settings will f**k up

for future reference, ctrl+alt+F7 returns you to the GUI (assuming it is ofcourse started)

F1 to F6 (by default) are virtual (non graphical) terminals.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Fair play to you FM for sticking it out this long, I usually sack it off a lot sooner. I really wanna give it a fair try but having no patience doesn't really help matters.

i wanna give it ago, kdf raves about it so might aswell.

first impressions are that its a pain in the arse to set up. it seems faster than vista for general browsing etc, start up is the same time, turn off is the same time.

to sum up linux = a lot of f**king about

You haven't even tuned it for performance yet ! I spent about a day tuning a linux system.. boot time from loading screen to working console with mouse.... 7 seconds !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it's security!!

Important things ask for your permission. You should NEVER even think about trying to disable it.

its a bit annoying though.. I normally sudo pwd the root account and disable the standard users accounts from the sudoers wheel.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
-.-

ok, whats the command to bring up task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) on here?

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to anything you want.. if you want ctrl+alt+delete to make your system start playing music you can :p

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
First thing I do on any linux GUI system is right click the top/bottom menu's and make them semi-transparent..

Punto/Clio GTT
i can see the potential, its so customisable. it seems though that all you get is a bag of bones OS. if you want it to wipe its arse, you have to hand it the toilet paper and show it how to use it.

i will give it another go when i get round to it, but atm, yea, alot of f**king about.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
"Windows - Where do you want to go today?"
"Linux - It's a lot of f**king about".

;)

Not a Clio
next problem, every restart my screen res is just restting to factory, when i click save settings this is popping up, ideas?

Screenshot3.gif

Code:
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf.oldbackup

To get nvidia-settings to actually save any changes it has to be run with sudo, that menu item isn't set up for it.

You can edit the menu or just open terminal and type

Code:
sudo nvidia-settings

Now when you make any changes in thet GUI and click save, it will save.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
booted up my vista harddrive again, its annoying me a bit having to terminal everything to get it going

Once it's setup that's the end of it though, should be problem free.

You've done very well so far, be a shame to give up now.

Exactly, and I think thats the point they are missing, once it setup.. you never need to touch it again.. it just keeps on working..

no 6 monthly re-install cause its slowed down etc. No BSOD no viruses no spyware etc.

Not a Clio

Exactly, and I think thats the point they are missing, once it setup.. you never need to touch it again.. it just keeps on working..

no 6 monthly re-install cause its slowed down etc. No BSOD no viruses no spyware etc.

ubuntu does have a 6 monthly release cycle though, I always fresh install rather than upgrade. Gutsy is out in October, shame he didn't install tribe 5. (tribe 6 in 3 days time)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Just cause there is a release doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade though. Having said that, the integrated upgrading system seems to be rock solid and I've never had any problems.

So with just a couple clicks you can upgrade to the latest version !

Punto/Clio GTT
yea it is cool and fully customisable but just alot of f**king about.

i mean i tried to set up my hotmail account via the ubuntu email program and found i needed to get linux to know what pop3 and smtp was first :S lol

What O/S, once installed and never touched again slows down after 6 months, crashes and develops spyware?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

What O/S, once installed and never touched again slows down after 6 months, crashes and develops spyware?

is that a trick question ?

Dun, Dun DUUUUUUN

Windows !!

When I say touched again.. I mean still doing your daily work on it..

Dun, Dun DUUUUUUN

Windows !!

How does Windows slow down, develop BSOD etc by just doing your day to day work? The fact is it doesn't.

EDIT: I just want to add I don't really want to get into a debate about the pros/cons of each O/S. I just wanted to ensure people understood that your post could be misleading. I agree, if left to Joe Bloggs, Windows can end up in a right mess. This however is not due to the underlying O/S but the fact that there is so much crapware/drivers out there and Windows is a victim of its own popularity.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
How does Windows slow down, develop BSOD etc by just doing your day to day work? The fact is it doesn't.

Two words:

"The Registry"

Probably the single worst OS design decision ever made. Utter, Utter pants.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Dun, Dun DUUUUUUN

Windows !!

EDIT: I just want to add I don't really want to get into a debate about the pros/cons of each O/S. I just wanted to ensure people understood that your post could be misleading. I agree, if left to Joe Bloggs, Windows can end up in a right mess. This however is not due to the underlying O/S but the fact that there is so much crapware/drivers out there and Windows is a victim of its own popularity.

Ye, don't really want to get into a debate about it either.

Windows isnt a victim of its own popularity, its a victim of poor design.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
ide say windows is ALOT more user friendly, its more of a plug and play, pre-packed ready to go OS.

Only cause you know the windows way to do things... 99.9% of things can be done through a GUI, but when you get good at it.. its quicker to do it via a terminal ! None of my servers even boot to a GUI.

Not a Clio
ide say windows is ALOT more user friendly, its more of a plug and play, pre-packed ready to go OS.

It's not really pre-packed. You have to install your video drivers, sound drivers, network driver, scanner drivers, printer drivers etc from CD or a separate download. It doesn't come with a decent graphics package and no office suit, it's bundled email client is stripped down etc etc.

The only driver I have to install for ubuntu is the nvidia one, and the restricted drivers manager does that for me, so I don't even have to go and look for it. The gimp is installed by default as is evolution and Open Office amongst other things.

And if there's something I'm missing, 99% of the time it's in a repo so I don't even have to go far to find it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well Xubuntu struggled with my c1xd. but it does have exceptional specs.