ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

’STOP’ WARNING LIGHT

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this-

Recently my STOP warning light has started to flicker on and off whenever it feels like it in my Clio 172 mk2, Im pretty sure it is just a loose connection somewhere due to the fact that it seems to randomly flicker on and off whenever it feels like it.

I know that a few people have had a similar problem with the airbag warning light and that this can be sorted by checking the wiring under the passenger seat....anyone got any ideas why this might be coming on or if there is anything I should be checking?

thanks

Doesnt sound like a loose connection. Probably something like an engine sensor starting to fail, remember they read many times a second, so if its intermittent it will flicker.

ive just had this start today aswell in my RT - any sensors in particular to look for? any how do you test that they work ok - wouldnt there be other signs?

yeah thats the one. says stop then, and intermittently while driving - and ive already checked the handbrake aint half way up!

Yeah the stop light is for the handbrake. Not had a look but theres probably a switch somewhere on the handbrake, you may have to remove the casing though:(. A dirty contact or dodgy connection could cause this. You could always try holding the button in and pumping it up and down about 20-30 times (while youre stationary) and see if this makes any difference. Could be some crud in the switch!!!

320d M Sport

Balls, that warning light is for low oil, mine did it so i rang reno and they told me to top the oil up. Did, since then had no probs.

(!)-thats handbrake!

Paddy

320d M Sport

exactly what mine was doing, also when u park on a hill, check your oil, mine has been fine ever since i topped mine up!! It was v, v low!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

read the manual, the STOP light covers a lot of stuff and is NOT for the handbrake.. try it put your hanbrake on in a mk2 172.. the only light that comes on is the handbrake light.

According to the manual when the stop light comes on you should stop as soon as it is safe to do so. There is also a service light which I would imagine would cover low levels of fluids.

lol i got ya paddy! will check NOW, didnt realise it was for low oil.

...thought the guage was supposed to be for that? proves how sh*t they are then!

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 12 February 2003

read the manual, the STOP light covers a lot of stuff and is NOT for the handbrake.. try it put your hanbrake on in a mk2 172.. the only light that comes on is the handbrake light.

According to the manual when the stop light comes on you should stop as soon as it is safe to do so. There is also a service light which I would imagine would cover low levels of fluids.

Yes its for a bunch of things, mine flickered when i had idling/stalling problems and also lack of oil!

checked my oil, its not that. couldnt check the coolant, didnt want a mini geyser in my engine bay!

so is it a sensor thing? mine doesnt stall, has rough idling but i thought tgat was normal!

would reading the ECU tell me any fault codes that might help?