ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£10,000 in cash and want a 172 !!!

Hi, I am new to posting here but have been addicted to reading posts for a few weeks. My dad has given me some cash from selling a house and I intend to use 10k to buy a car. I currently have a 1.4rt and want a 172, I do like the Cup, but would prefer the extra comforts etc. Where is the best place to look for one, and what should I be aware of when buying a second hand one. I have seen one in the Auto Trader for £10,350. Its a 51 reg and has 8,000 miles and is Iceberg Silver, just what I am after and one owner from new. Is this a good price?

Thanks for any advice guys.

Well if you sold your RT how much would you get?

Id say its worth looking in the back of car mags like Autocar, they are plenty of car supermarkets who sell brand new 172s for the same as the Cup, £11995.

Welcome to the forum.

-Rob

52 plate £11699 at Trade sales Or you could wait a few weeks and when the new plate comes out see if you can get a pre registered car from renault

Thanks for the welcome !!

The RT is a 93 L 1.4 3 door with perfect body work, how much is that worth?? £1,000 or so .

I never thought of that really, good idea, put the extra for a brand new one !!!

dogmaul, some cars from trade sales are eu sourced, some arnt. Even if they arnt they will still have a one year warranty ( not as good as a 3 year one admittedly, but better than nothing! )

the one i asked about was from cyprus and wasnt uk spec either so you also might have trouble insuring it as it aint uk spec

the question was to you dogmaul. What do you mean by trade sales? the car I saw in the Autotrader was as far as I know a UK car. Do you mean the car supermarkets are not always uk spec?

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 19 February 2003

Well if you sold your RT how much would you get?

Id say its worth looking in the back of car mags like Autocar, they are plenty of car supermarkets who sell brand new 172s for the same as the Cup, £11995.

Welcome to the forum.

-Rob
When did they drop the price of a cup to 11995??? and where can i get another?? (there soooooooo good!!)

Theyve always been that price?

There are some UK cars and some EU cars, best thing to do is ask. Or ask your local dealer how they feel about servicing/warranty on an import. As far as i know the EU cars have 1 less silencer and mechanically thats it.

-Rob

Looking back at some of the posts on here about a week ago, many people with EU cars have phoned Renault UK, who have in turn sent them a 3 year warranty for nowt.

Its the dealers that kick up a fuss because they didnt make a packet from you in the first place.

it aint far from me and it aint all that, i know people who have bought cars from there who needed engines replacing, one had grass all stuck to the underside of the car and in the engine, when they took it back to trade sales they didnt wanna no anything about it and said they didnt sell the car in that condition, however i nkow people also who have bought cars from there and had no problem.

Matt

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Jonny Disco on 19 February 2003

Its the dealers that kick up a fuss because they didnt make a packet from you in the first place.
They also expect to make money from servicing, parts and repairs and get annoyed if you then find a better garage (possibly non Renault) to look after your car!!

VW Potato

i bought my clio from Trade Sales. The only thing missing was the alarm and the radio code. The cd-changer was under the passenger seat. Car came from a dealer in Paris, so its an EU sourced car that complies with EU regulations, exactly the same as you would get from a UK-based Renault dealer. The fact its had a few minor probs has more to do with how it was made rather than who it was bought from.

g

Might be selling mine (if I get a scooby) in a month or so ... 52 Reg 7500miles, Monaco Blue. If youre interested mail me on mailto:charlie@livemedia.co.uk">charlie@livemedia.co.uk if interested .. would be looking for around 10k I guess ... Im in Oxford BTW.

as for trade car sales i have been warned away from them by numerous (sp?) people who have lots of problems with the service of them and the cars they bought like the cars they get arnt the ones they asked for !!!!