ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£1300 to spend! Opinions wanted

Evo
Morning all.

Looking at buying some coilovers for the car but just cant decide between two kits, seeing as i have little experience with both makes and designs i was hoping someone could shed some light on it...

So heres the first kit: http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2411&pic=3

Its the cheaper of the two options, but has fixed damping, which isnt much of a problem cos i dont really know how to adjust that anyway.

But heres the second kit: http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2442&pic=1

It's much more top of the range stuff, very flash. It has fully adjustable damping but do i really need that??? And apparently KW are a better quality build too.

Any input or opinions would be appreicated, thanks!

Evo
Whats wrong with the standard stuff just out of interest? Renault set it up fairly well from the factory as far as i was aware ...

Car has been stripped resulting in the ride height raising a good few mil, looks stupid and its made the back end dodgey under heavy braking.

Springs dont cut it for me and i want the flexibility of track day/road use too.

And finally becuase i have a big fat wad burning a hole in my pocket and they're all shiny chrome :rasp:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I probably would go for the KW Kit.

But as Dave says, the car is very well sorted out of the box.

£1300 to fix a problem that doesn't exist? I'd rather go to disneyland.

If ride height is the issue, get some H&R springs.

Evo
ben_r1 a bank managers dream! :p

Well i did spend £650 on a carbon diffuser nobody even ever notices :(

So heres a little justification :rasp::

carbondiffy.gif

PH1 iceburg
I would only get H&R springs if it was me.

If you are going to use the fully adjustables as they where intended then fine but in my opinion for looks the H&R springs are excellent value and i havent heard any complaints about them.

500 Twinair
If using for fast road/track then i would go for the KW's. Having adjustable damping and ride height means you will able to adjust the settings for road and track to you liking.
Do a search on here as well because i think some people are running kW and HR's on their 197, so get a view on both.
Also have a chat with Mark Fish, cos he knows his stuff and may recommend something you havent thought of.

Mk4 .:R32
After having H&Rs on my old 172, I would say getting coilovers seriously isn't worth the cash unless you're going to be using the car on a track...

Looks great, but with the English roads in the state they are in, they cause more grief than good. pot holes, speed bumps, raised man holes, uneven surfaces. Just not worth it in my eyes unless like I've said, it's going to be for track use!

I'd rather spend a couple of hundred of some springs that will just lower it 30 mil

Evo
Car is intended for limited track use, maybe a few times a year + ring trip.

Going to spk to a few ppl who have been mentioned in thread first.

RB 182 Cup
dunno what suspension to go for ben but get some coiloers and take some pressure out your rear tyres :D

Evo
dunno what suspension to go for ben but get some coiloers and take some pressure out your rear tyres :D

2BH mate i dropped a few psi out the rears and it seemed to just make the swaying more aggressive.

Hows your clio? heard you blew the box to smitherines??? :dead:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
KW's all the way.
H&R's will corrode, and I wasnt impressed with mine.