ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£150 for a bulb

My headlamp went this morning on the way to work on my mk2 172, just spoken to Renault who want £150 for a new bulb. £150!!!! For a bulb!!! Arse. Anyone got any suggestions for other places to try, or am I out of luck here? :cry:

Yep, its xenon. I did ask the guy on the parts desk, but he said he couldnt say what the expected life of the bulb was. But if it lasts for two years (as mine has), then it works out at about £150 a year, just for bloomin bulbs! :(

Revels Mum & Sister

I would think so

Unless it was broken by you smashing it. I would imagine its Under Warranty. Even maybe under ur Warranty for the car. If you still have one!

Renault just got back to me, the bulbs are only covered in the first year of warranty, so Im going to have to stump up the full cost. And therefore go back into the garage for the third time this month (and its only the 9th, ho hum).

Dont go to renault for the bulb.

I think you can buy them from companies such as lucas for alot less than £150 per bulb

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

should be done under warranty mate Im sure they have a 5 year gaurantee

Quote: Originally posted by Phil 99 on 09 March 2004

I would never spend that much on bulbs. No matter what sort they are.
If you buy a 172/182/V6 MK2 you have no choice. They come fitted as standard and unless you want to do alot of work to your car you aint going to be moving away from them.

know anyone with a car under a year old? swap with them and get i done under their warrenty, give em £20 everyones happy!

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by boyced on 09 March 2004

know anyone with a car under a year old? swap with them and get i done under their warrenty, give em £20 everyones happy!
What a good idea!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Im sure they come with a 5 yr guarantee so maybe try the bulb manufacturer who may replace it for you under their warranty?

a bit off topic, but my local halfords will fit the bulb for you if you want, for the cheap fee of only £15!!!! :eek:

Couldnt believe it, was thinking of setting up outside their door offering to fit em for a fiver, ffs, its a 5 min job, if that

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

To a Cup probably easy yes.. to a 172 its a little tighter.

The xenons are a bit pricey.. but the light you get from them is 100x better than normal lights.. I wouldnt want to go back now !

Mk2 Golf GTI

i was reading the other day about these. they are almost guaranteed to never break!! whats wrong with it, has it blown or did you break it?

I think the dealer has to fit them because they need to be properly aligned. Dont quote me on this but I heard someone say that they have to take the wing off to fit the Xenon!!!!

Fitting the passenger side bulb is dead esy open the bottne find the back of the light take the rubber cover of twist the ligth bulb holder to one side take the bulb out and thenput it all back together. DONT forget to put the rubber cover firmly back over the bulb else you may loose it.

As for the drivers side you go mad the battery is in the way. Best change the passenger side one first or at least take it out and put it back so you know what to do with the driver side.

Renault bulbs seem unless both of them have gone in 16 months one gave us after just 12 months. Got soem uprated one (£35 for the pair) from Halfords which seem much better.

EDD

Volvo S60 T5

Its unusual for the Xexon bulbs to go, its normally the ballast section of the headlight that fails, this will be sorted for you under warranty at a dealer.

They usually get an ingress of water in them which causes them to fail.

Part Number and price as follows

77 01 207 033 KIT BALLAST 135.20+vat

If it is the bulb then part number and price as follows

77 01 046 154 BULB DISCHGE J66 150.97+vat

Dont worry its covered under warranty anyway;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

URGENT SAFETY MESSAGE

ALways get Xenon bulbs fitted properly by a trained and qualfied person who knows that hell they are doing.

They are extremely dangerous.

Simon

Volvo S60 T5

Its very high voltage something like 20,000 volts to kick them into life then 80 odd volts AC to keep them alight.

Plus you have to tell the computer for the headlights that a new bulb has been fitted, all clever stuff!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by Mike172sport on 09 March 2004
Dont worry its covered under warranty anyway;) 

Is this for definite? All covered under first 1yr or full 3yr warranty etc?

Volvo S60 T5

3 years, when you pop down your dealer they can check on the computer for you to tell you exactly what is covered.

Im 99% sure that xexons are included in the 3yr warranty.

Thanks for all the info, this forum comes through again! :)

But.... started the car last night to move it so I can get my landy out, and lo and behold, both lights working again! wtf? Bizzare! But at least I dont have to splash out for a bulb+fitting; any ideas what could have caused the light to fail in the first place?

The only thing I can think of is that I was sat waiting outside someones house, so I turned off the beams and sat with the side lights on only. It was shortly after turning the lights back on and driving off that the light went out. Is it possible the light just didnt get the kick it needed to turn it back on, or that the computer just got "confused"?

Ah well... happy for now! And i can also afford to still go out drinking in London this weekend... sweet. :D

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Tinium on 09 March 2004

My headlamp went this morning on the way to work on my mk2 172, just spoken to Renault who want £150 for a new bulb. £150!!!! For a bulb!!! Arse. Anyone got any suggestions for other places to try, or am I out of luck here? :cry:
Thats ridiculous!! Surely £150 would be for the complete headlamp unit!

Direct Car Parts sell Xenon bulbs @ £10 - £15 but not sure if they fit a Clio

http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=1&osCsid=afa869f6cbd402ba660fb07294da425ehttp://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=1&osCsid=afa869f6cbd402ba660fb07294da425e

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 12 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 12 March 2004

what a load of b*llocks!
Are they not the right bulbs then?
if we are talking about the xenon lights in a 172/182 then no, those are xenon effect bulbs for cars that are wanna be xenon lighters, a xenon headlight is completely different and will cost about £150. The main beam in the 172 is a normal bulb and you could replace those with brighter bulbs like this but not the dipped bean Xenon headlight, thats a job for Renault.