ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£2000

Subaru impreza
Heyup, I'm thinking of buying a clio sport for a daily driver to also use on the track sometimes. I have £2000 to spend, I just want to know is this enough? And how good are the engines? Do they still go strong with high miles? Thanks

Clio 182
Check out what cars are for sale. That's the best way to get an idea if you've got enough money for a car you want.
There are 172's on autotrader from £1550.
And they will still go strong on high miles if they've been looked after.

Subaru impreza
I like the look of the ph1 172, on pistonheads they range from about £1200 to about £4000 with miles ranging from 60000 to 90000, would you get any problems with ph1's at this mileage?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I paid 2k for mine 6 weeks ago. Its in very good condition. x reg with 80k, fsh etc. Patience is the key tbh. The right one of whichever model you want will turn up. As long as the cars been looked after, belts, services done etc you should be fine mate. Good luck.

Dan

clio 172/Fabia vRS
Just sold my 2002 clio 172 on 59000 for £2600, and i know mine will go on for years and years. Makes sense a slightly older one owuld be available for 2k, just make sure it's been looked after or it will cost loads in the long run.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
IMO if you buy a ph1 for 2000 it probably wont be a minter, and may not have the all important belts and recent servicing done. This means it will possibly end up costing you another £1000 or so in the first year of ownership getting it up to scratch. Why not just up your budget slightly and buy a much more looked after example.

I just picked up a 30K miler 172 ph1 with FSH and belts etc for just under 3K, but loads of nice ones out there for around £2500.

Clio Ph2 172
2k Should easily get you decent Ph1 maybe a ph2 if your lucky! You just have to be willing to travel far for it and don't go rushing to buy the 1st one you go see.

It's important though you check the belts have been done, or your looking at around £500 to get them done.

Westy. MX5
Plenty of 172's for £2k about. The engine block and major components are strong enough, what lets them down is the little bits around the engine and the body as well. If you are good with the spanners they are cheap enough to fix yourself. Coming from a Scooby you'll find running one cheap as chips.

Clio Sport 172
Yeah do it mate, ph1 are quality got mine for £2000 with 60K on it. Been quality, every car has its downs you just gotta get one that your happy with

Subaru impreza
Wikid thanks for the info peeps, and yeah the scooby is poor on fuel and just about everything, I also had an rx7 which was worse, one of my mates has a ph2 172 cup and he just has it as a track toy but I cannot afford to do this just yet do I want to sell my scooby and buy a ph1 172 to use as a daily runner to also let loose on the track. Again cheers guys

Stagecoach Ticket
if would go for a ph1 172 but save for a few more months the difference between a 1.5k ph1 a 2k ph and a 2.3k ph1 will be massive spending tht little bit more will get you a mint one

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
its your luck chief.

Mine is on 90k and iv done all of that from new and id want more than 2k for it, but I know the history inside and out etc etc.

Alot of sub 2k cars will be alot of hassle with problems, but im sure with it being a buyers market you will fish out a gem. As long as cambelt and aux belt changes are done (every 5 years or 72k for the cambelt and 3 years or 36k for the aux belt) then that is key. Good quality oil and frequent changes are recommended for track use.

Id also consider enhancing brakes and investing in some decent suspension.