ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£50 for some front speakers...which ones

I want something with a bit more punch than the standard speakers. I had some nice front speakers in the Williams and I miss em, but I have no idea what they were.

I know bugger all about ICE. Are front speakers easy to fit? Which brand/models should I look at? Is it worth replacing the rear speakers at the same time?

Thanks Tom, but Im more confused than ever now! Too much choice... Ive had a listen to a few different 13cm speakers in Halfords, but they were playing from radio and all of them sounded a bit cack, even the expensive ones.

Which ones are likely to work ok with the std head unit?

:confused:

Okeydokey, cheers. BTW, Id better be the envy of all the boy racers in Halfords car park with these mothers.... ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

yes

you would be

(i hope bam bam dont give me a whooping for recomending those)

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 08 November 2003

Ive had a listen to a few different 13cm speakers in Halfords, but they were playing from radio and all of them sounded a bit cack, even the expensive ones.
Listening to speakers in a shop display will never give you a good idea of how theyll sound, it depends on things like what they made the display out of, what its attached to, etc etc etc. The same set of speakers could even sound different from one shop to the next.

Well, just popped to H*lfords and bought some JBL526e speaker things. Settled on those ones after reading some posts on this forum. They didnt have the Pioneers.

Just got to figure out how to fit them :confused:

A well built VW

Dont suppose your after a set of 6x9s for the back ive got a set of alpine sps690as for sale for £50 inc p+p brand new still in box

i can send pics pm me your email if interested

hhhhmmmm disagree with that last post, but its your opinion, well in my opinion, as you are after 13cm the ones above are a very good bet for that much, i use the pioneer e-motion series in my car and are very good quality. you could probably get the co-axial version of those for the money, rather than a seperate tweater have it built in (which will be easier to fit) the model numbers are tse-1375 or the better 3 ways are tse-1395, both will be a very good buy for the cash! cheers

ian - what basis do you base your comment on??

how much research have you done into sound stages in cars?

have you ever looked at a competition SQ car and wondered why they dont fit 6x9s (or any mid range speakers) in the rear?

well lets face it, for £50 i dont think hes gonna be entering any SQ contests now is he!!! i think for the money they offer good all round sound quality, i know that top instally normally do not have them but thats not really what this thread is about!! oh IMO;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

good choice on the JBL Rhys, we sell loads of it at work cos its fairly cheap yet still pretty good

i bet we could have beat Halfords on price, JBL love Motor World and there givin us good cheap prices cos were shiftin so much stuff

i know but for £50 he was looking at improving the cars sound, not fitting 6x9s

if anything, a set of rear co-ax with the balanec faded to the front is about all i accept as rear fill

6x9s are far too overpowering to be in a car

A well built VW

All these different opinions i bet the poor guy is in a dark corner somewhere by now rocking himself to sleep in his straight jacket

fair enough, they have got to be the best selling of all types of speaker though?? gotta be a reason for that?? if these speakers were so bad then surely these companies would stop making them!?! i was just sayint that i do not agree with the opinion of worst possible speakers for in a car!? IMHO!

oh yeah what about the notorious, infamous evil ice, he has three in each door, must be a good thing;)

Quote: Originally posted by ian h on 09 November 2003
fair enough, they have got to be the best selling of all types of speaker though?? gotta be a reason for that??

Max Power - Promotion of all things shite

oh yeah what about the notorious, infamous evil ice, he has three in each door, must be a good thing;)

and what happened to his business?

hhhhhhhhmmmmmm yeah i was being serious in that last point!! heard of tongue in cheek humour?? or the ability to read between the lines! hence the winky thing!?! man your install has gotta be really serious for the amount of stress going into this thread!!;)

Youre all wrong.....

and you can think about that as I speed off into the distance with my nice, light, acceptable sounding 13cm speakers ;)

hhhhhhhhmmmmmm yeah i was being serious in that last point!! heard of tongue in cheek humour?? or the ability to read between the lines! hence the winky thing!?! man your install has gotta be really serious for the amount of stress going into this thread!!;)

before the car was stolen i had spent over £2k on ICE, its all currently sitting in my bedroom with nowhere to go :(

as follows

Alpine 9815RB Head Unit
Genesis Profile 2 Amplifier
Phase Linear Opus 2 Amplifier
Diamond M651 Components
Diamond M6-10 Sub
Stinger 1 Farrad Power Cap

using Stinger 4awg cablinf and Stinger Competition RCAs

what you expected???

A well built VW

i have to agree with ian most mags i.e maxpower revs redline etc their cars all seem to have 6x9s fitted i know you guys love your tunes bambam and tom as you seem to be the resident ice experts but most people are satisfied with a good set of front and a set of 6x9 in the rear we are all allowed to be different if we want :confused: its not a bad thing but lets not get into a scrap about it and agree to differ on this one guys!!!:D

So would one have 6x9 instead of rear speakers, as well as rear speakers, with a sub, instead of a sub??? I still dont understand why.

gutted bout the car - jealous pricks mate, oh back to the important stuff! -

Pioneer 6400r cd headunit, 6 disc autochanger, pioneer tse-1075 coaxials in dash, pioneer tse-175c 17cm components + pioneer tse-1795 17cm coaxials in custom made door pods, pioneer tse-1075 co-axials + pioneer tse-6995 in custom made parcel shelf. pioneer gmx 800 watt amp (ordered from states - discountinued over here!??! :() pioneer gmx 572 4 channel amp, pioneer gmx 372 2 channel amp 2x pioneer 12 inch subs, forget the model number, the bullet style ones. i farad digital power cap, uprated battery, 2awg power cabling, 5.6 inch roof mounted screen, nintendo gamecube, havnt added how much its been but rising all the time!! lol

A well built VW

6x9 are usually put on your parcel shelf replacing any rear speakers that may be in the car already

Im sure bambam or tom will correct me but the idea is to give rear fill and add bass to your system which the front speakers are not producing hence them being classed as mids without getting too technical without the need to get a sub or if you prefer a sub can be fitted instead taking up half your boot space

Hope this clears it up a bit for you :)

didnt particularly look for all pioneer just kinda worked out that way, i like it all to match as use the car as a show car so gotta look good as well as sound good (god im gonna get slated for that), i really like the sound produced, its by far my best install, not really interested in outright bass, just enough, but hell i like it!!

oh yeah, sorry to steel this thread BTW! im going to sleep now, well have to continue our discussion another time, cheers

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, just popped to H*lfords and bought some JBL526e speaker things.
Good effort...

I have these in mine and for the money they sound superb! :D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 09 November 2003

subs and front components - no more speakers
But what if you dont want a boot full of ICE and having a sub & box is a no no then?!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 November 2003

Well, just popped to H*lfords and bought some JBL526e speaker things.
Good effort...

I have these in mine and for the money they sound superb! :D
Yours was one of the threads about JBL526es that I read. Everyone who uses them seems to like them and Im not arsed about having expensive ICE. Just got pissed off with the crappy cardboard speakers.

I cant have 6x9s as about 50% of the time I have no rear parcel shelf.....or back seats! Currently carrying the spare wheel and toolkit though. Dont want to weigh it all back down with ICE.

Quite tempted to go and get another set of JBLs this afternoon seeing as they were so easy to fit and Ive more or less turned off the back speakers now as they sound like poop compared to the fronts.

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 November 2003
Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 09 November 2003
subs and front components - no more speakers[/QUOTE]But what if you dont want a boot full of ICE and having a sub & box is a no no then?!

then have some 6" subs in the factory locations coupled with a set of components up front