ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Desktop/monitor speakers, maybe a soundbar?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
In my office at home I currently have a desk with 2 floorstanding Eltax speakers to the side. I wanted to move it round so my desk is under the window, but the cabinet I have all my trainers on won't then fit the other way due to the width.

So I am considering losing the speakers and replacing with either some monitor speakers which will fit on the desk, or maybe a soundbar for under the monitors? I like listening to music whilst I work, and I don't want some tinny s**t that sound pish.

Any recommendations?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Good deals on B&W 607 S2's here as they have just been replaced by the S3's

I currently have Eltax Symphony 6 which are 80w, but as they are floor standing, I think that's why the bass is great. I'm not sure a pair of smaller monitors, mounted up on the wall will be as nice.

My pal has recommended these, apparently can add a sub if needed

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
B&W 607's are really very very good. I can't say the bass will be better but the overall audio quality will likely be on par if not better than what you have. What amp are you using and do you need wireless speakers?

I haven't ever heard of Audioengine but my assumption having listened to a lot of B&W stuff is that the 607's will take the piss out of them plus in a few years the Bowers will still be worth something. The speakers in the link were nearly £500 not long ago, still people on eBay trying to sell them used for £300.

Pre child I had a nice pair of 805d's and had no complaints regarding bass - similar sized to the 607.

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
B&W 607's are really very very good. I can't say the bass will be better but the overall audio quality will likely be on par if not better than what you have. What amp are you using and do you need wireless speakers?

Cambridge Audio A300, barely ever have it above half volume TBH. I think that's rated to 40w.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I had some gigantic Eltax M500 speakers, the bass was great but they really weren't amazing when it came to actual audio quality.

Those B&W speakers look a storming deal

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I had some gigantic Eltax M500 speakers, the bass was great but they really weren't amazing when it came to actual audio quality.

Those B&W speakers look a storming deal

I'm certainly no audiophile, I just like it loud/bassy lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What about premium headphones instead?

I'm no audiophile either - but I find headphones way more immersive than a traditional speaker setup. They also have the added benefit of playing an FPS quite loud and not pissing off my neighbours. :p

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

I'm no audiophile either - but I find headphones way more immersive than a traditional speaker setup. They also have the added benefit of playing an FPS quite loud and not pissing off my neighbours. :p

Grado

(Not for watching pron with tho)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

No, they just aren't the same for me

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
No, they just aren't the same for me
I think spatial audio in terms of headphones was a game changer for me - from the music perspective that is.

I don't think I could ever go back to just standard 'stereo' headphones now. That said, when you get a purpose-built room with the correct speaker setup, they do sound amazing. I'm one of those that has the TV on volume 10 out of 50 for the most part though!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I had these when I had a desktop computer, always rated them...

In fact I still have them to hook up to my decks in the rare event I actually have time to play with them. Not sure if they're still available mind you, it was over 10 years ago I bought them!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ve got these in my living room for the TV. Run off a cheap Cambridge audio Amp. They are absolutely unreal for the size.

Clio 182
Go used and save some dough. And do local collection.That automatically narrows your search quite a bit. Might stumble across something nice.

I've had KEF ls50 (not worth£), wharfedale, monitor audio, Logitech crap.
Wharfedale nice sound and good value imo

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I ended up with the Acoustic Energy Aego5 surround sound system. I've put a satellit speaker at each side of my desk, just under the monitors (they have angled bases, which is very handy), the base unit under my desk with the sub at the back. They sound fantastic so far, although the sub actually sound louder at the door than where I sit, so might need to revise where I put that. More than happy for the price, and may even add the other 3 speakers at some point.

20231115_161113.JPG
20231115_161104.JPG

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Adam Audio T5V / T7V studio monitors /end thread!

even after a few years I still feel like they are the biggest bargain of the century for cost vs performance.