ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

0-60....182ff v 182 cup ???

182 FF Cup options
Hi all, i pick up my clio 182 ff with both cup options tomorrow, and was wondering what the 0-60 is like on mine compared to the lighter 182 cup?

Also does anyone know the bhp to torque values for each one?

Dan:approve:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
the difference is nominal. maybe 0.2 of a second between both of them.

tiTTy & SV650
bhp and torque are identical, its the power to weight that will be slightly better on the cup.

Black/Gold 182
dick said:
think ff is 6.9, cup is 6.7??

I think that's manufacuturer's quoted 0-62.5 mph. If you look in Evo (The Knowledge section at the back), they've done independent 0-60 tests and quote 182 FF as 6.6 sec and 182 cup as 6.5 sec.

Focus ST
Carbon bonnet, take back seats out, add some lighter wheels. Bob's your uncle, you've made a CUP KILLER!!!!!

MINI JCW
All things equal the 182cup will be marginally quicker. Im talking a tenth/couple of tenths to 100mph as it only weighs 20kg less, giving the cup a power to weight advantage over the full fat 182 of about 3bhp per tonne.

However variables such as the amount of fuel in the car, weight of the driver, driver ability and whether its a good or a bad engine will decide on the day which omne is quicker.

172 Cup
The cup has no air con and lighter seats.

Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

Scirocco GT 210
hoggaz said:
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

I will the next time I bump into a real racer whilst I'm driving along the congested public speed-limited roads I use to go anywhere :clown:

MINI JCW
hoggaz said:
The cup has no air con and lighter seats.

The 182 cup has air con

182 FF Cup options
I am picking my car up in about 9 hours. Cant wait. To be honest i bought it thinking it was a cup lol, but i still think its a nice car and nippy, and it comes with the toys whilst still beniffiting from harder suspension and a wider track. Dan

172 Cup
The 172 cup doesn't have abs either. Don't think they were allowed to do that with the 182. It has a spare wheel well but no spare wheel.

BMW 320d SE
hoggaz said:
The 172 cup doesn't have abs either. Don't think they were allowed to do that with the 182. It has a spare wheel well but no spare wheel.
The 182 doesn't have a spare wheel well!
The cup didn't have xenons, climate control, auto wipers/headlights (iirc), a half decent stereo, or decent (read half leather) seats.

Turbos.
I'm getting confused here...

As i understand it there is no 182 Cup, right?

There is a 182 with a 'Cup pack' though. I thought this was just same wheels painted a different colour, slightly different suspension and the splitter/spoiler from the 172 Cup?

Where does the weight difference come in?

BMW 320d SE
There was a 182 Cup - it was a stripped down version of the regular 182. You're thinking of the the 182 with cup packs on it - like mine! :D

182 FF Cup options
Well when the 182 was new, what was the cost af a new 182 ff with cup options compared to a 182 cup? Which was the most expensive? :S

Black/Gold 182
I might be wrong but I think the list price for a 182FF was about £1K more than a 182 Cup. You could then have Cup Suspension Pack and Cup Spoiler Pack as extras on the 182 FF (I think £250 and £150 or thereabouts).

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
i get 6.36 in my cup basicly standard apart from exhuast an open airfilter with cold air feed :p

Clio 182
JBarber said:
That's just typical lazy journalism. They are quoting the manufacturer's 0-62.5 figures but mis-quoting it as 0-60. This write up must have been before the timed road test, the 6.6 sec figure is in the Knowledge section at the back of the actual magazine. Buy it yourself and take a look

Cheers for that mate will need to buy it and have a look. Is it at the back of every mag?

Black/Gold 182
c9kay said:
Cheers for that mate will need to buy it and have a look. Is it at the back of every mag?

Yep, the numbers are in bold if they've been independently recorded and normal for manufacturers' claims. It says 6.6 for the 182 (in bold) and 6.5 (not in bold) for the 182 Cup - although I've never seen any Renault stuff quoting 6.5 sec 0-60 so who knows where they got that from (I think they've just copied the 172 Cup figure which was independently recorded - more lazy journalism).

I guess there's a lot of other factors in there (weather, driver etc). but there are some surprising numbers, e.g.:

Honda CTR 0-60 = 6.8s (independently recorded)
Clio 182 0-60 = 6.6s (independently recorded)

[although CTR is quicker than 182 to 100 mph, those numbers are there too]

Clio 172 Cup 0-60 = 6.5s (independently recorded)
Clio 172 0-60 = 7.1s (independently recorded)
Clio Williams 0-60 = 7.6s (independently recorded)

Megane 225 Trophy 0-60 = 6.7s (independently recorded)
Golf GTI mark V 0-60 = 6.7s (independently recorded)
Astra VXR 0-60 = 6.7s (independently recorded)

[VXR only 0.1s quicker to 100 than Clio 182]

Last edited:
The main benefit of the 182Cup was that it was cheaper for new owners such as myself. Another (unforseen) benefit is that it doesnt suffer from as many faults as the 'toyed up' full fat cars. I'd rather own an FF now, mainly for the nicer interior.

Speed? apples for apples the Cup will always be Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly quicker, but normally there are too many variables. Some cars produce more power than others for starters. A good 182FF could be identical to an average 182Cup, but equally, a good Cup might be slightly quicker than an average 182FF.

It's all good, both are great cars and you can have very quick examples of each. The 182Cup is ultimately slightly quicker and more nimble in theory, but add 20kg into the boot of your 182FF and tell us you noticed it too much...no different to driving a 182Cup with a full tank of gas.

Apples for Apples the Cup is quicker, but you'd never notice it on the road IMO. The bonus of the Cup is that still has AC...the one thing lacking that would stop me owning a 172Cup.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ I must admit that some of the recorded figures seem a little off, especially the VXR being only 0.1 sec quicker than a 182 to 100, and the 182 being quicker to 60.. Odd.

Tyson.

Black/Gold 182
^ yeah, maybe the VXR was done in the wet or something - it doesn't say. Although their track times also show the 182 Cup faster round their test track than the VXR and GTI Mk V (but not by much)

I think the only thing these numbers really show is that they are all pretty close (and for me the Clio had the advantage of being > £4K cheaper new with better std kit, better fuel economy and a cheaper insurance group).

It is not too hard to understand the VXR 0-60. It doesnt really boast much in terms of power/weight over the 182. It pwns at higher speeds though which is to be expected. It will aslo pwn a 182 in-gear.

Black/Gold 182
pwn?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the VXR didn't have such good dynamics as the 182. I know some of the other VXRs (Vectra and Zafira) suffer from excessive wheelspin and poor understeer, dunno about the Astra.