ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

03 clio 1.4 dynamic

saxo vtr, clio
ok joined from sax p as mrs has a clio and I;m at my whitts end with it, bought a Haynes and tried to fix the problem but no luck.

ok the problem is for quite a while it had a idle issue, which I hoped to fix when had the time off, so ordered a idle valve off eurocarparts, parts here waiting. in the mean time we were driving about, and as we were coming to end of journey the car was sounding rougher and rougher, then as we pulled onto drive it died. left it a lil and tried restart but it dies straight away, only way I can keep it running is to keep foot on accelerator pedal, where it runs but sounds like a diesel and so rough.

today I took apart the throttle body and found there was no idle valve on the throttle so I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and assembled back up and still does the same runs rough with my foot on accelerator but doesn't stay running otherwise.

the Haynes I have at the mo doesn't seem to cover the engine that's in the car so I am really lost as to what to do.......

cant really afford garage at mo and have limited tools and very little knowledge on clios of this type at the mo so any help you guys can provide would be awesome.

only thing I;m pointed towards was idle valve and injectors but don't know how to test these injectors plus theres still issue of the rough sounds

mark

rough running, loss of power on these is usually Sparks/Coils/Leads. You could have your foot to the floor but it won't go anywhere over 2krpm or so, runs badly and shakes and judders on occasion?
It's at least worth a look as it's an easy fix if it's the problem. While it's running, unplug the lead to a coilpack (they stick out of the engine, on top of the sparkplugs). Unplugging a working coil will make the car sound worse, unplugging a shot coil will make little to no difference. They're something like 20 quid new and are a wear-and-tear item basically.

Phase 1 1.4s have a cable-operated throttle and Idle valve, the Phase 2s have an Electric throttle. Have you tried getting it on an OBD reader to see if there's any error codes? You can get a generic bluetooth code-reader on ebay for a few quid and an app for your Android phone to check the car for generic codes.

Your engine is the K4J which should be covered by the haynes, it's covered in mine. There's really only very minor differences between the phase 1/2 engines.

Some things for you to check there but really without getting it on diagnostics or a better description of the issue, it'll be tough to diagnose online.

saxo vtr, clio
I have a code reader for my car which I plugged in to the clio and no error codes at all. which is why I was scratching my head more.

and the pictures of the engines in Haynes don't match what I have and nor do the instructions which is whats puzzling me more as I;m going at it blind but finding bits as I go.
but you say to take out the tubes that are sticking out the top of engine, as in just unplug or unscrew and take out?

only thing with this is it wont stay running for me to check this idea without someone else sticking foot on pedal? and when it was driving it was hesitating juddering or anything it was just on idle it would rev itself and try to cut out, like saxos do if you don't keep idle valve clean?

I have a code reader for my car which I plugged in to the clio and no error codes at all. which is why I was scratching my head more.

and the pictures of the engines in Haynes don't match what I have and nor do the instructions which is whats puzzling me more as I;m going at it blind but finding bits as I go.
but you say to take out the tubes that are sticking out the top of engine, as in just unplug or unscrew and take out?

only thing with this is it wont stay running for me to check this idea without someone else sticking foot on pedal? and when it was driving it was hesitating juddering or anything it was just on idle it would rev itself and try to cut out, like saxos do if you don't keep idle valve clean?

Ebunk5b.jpg

They just pull off the top of the spark plugs after you unbolt them, but you don't need to remove them, you can disconnect the wires going into them at the top.
Yours does not have an idle valve, the idle is controlled via stepper motor connected to the throttle body. It's possible your throttle body is damaged and can't maintain the idle. Any lights on the dash or anything?

saxo vtr, clio
there are no lights on dash at all and when reader plugged in displays no codes at all. and my engine doesn't match one pictured either.

so to check the sparks if I start engine, and get mrs to rev engine so I can unplug one by one, what am I looking for a change in noise? as in the one that's disconnected and noise changes that's the faulty one?

and if its the throttle body that's damaged what signs would I see? as I had it out today and cleaned but didn't visually see anything?

saxo vtr, clio
so for sure you thin its lead/sparks that's causing it not to stay running nowt else that could poss cause it to not stay running and to run so rough like it is

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Where are you located?

Post up a video of how its running will make it easyier to fibd the fault.