ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

03 plate 172

clio 172
i have a 172 but i dont think performing as it should...it has quite a big sound system in the boot but it shouldnt make that much difference....it doesnt seem to idle too good and the power seems a little restricted and it is omly going up to about 110mph and it dont seem to want to go above that....i had a valver a few years back and that seemed alot faster what could be the problem if any?????

172 rep
Sounds like summit wrong, I got my sister's pushing 140 on my runway at the back of my house ;) lol. You had diagnostics done?

clio 172
no mate ...i have just had cam belt dont and a set of new plugs put in but still the same there is a rattle that sounds like it could be the cat could the insides of collapsed and could be causing my problems ?

RenaultSport cup172 TT309
Mine ended up coming out the tail pipe. Had no problems since. While it was comin to bits the car ran badly,lost a lot of power and wouldn't tick over steadly.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
could be the cat / exhaust. My gf fiesta had a similar problem - turned out to be the exhaust blocked. Yours sounds like the cat if its drinking fuel.

320d
Get it RR'd to see what power its putting out then go from there.

A guy on here had a 172 cup that was only putting out around 138bhp. I can't remember exactly what was wrong with it but he got it back up to 170bhp easily, was something simple iirc.

If the inside of the cat has fell to bits,surely the pressure and heat of drivin it hard,will either push it out the tail pipe or,the exhaust will blow out somewhere?
When this happened to my 172 it didn't take very long to clear. DIY Stealth Decat!

ValverInBits
I bet it's the Cam timing. If it's even slightly out then you get massive loss in power. I'd take it to someone like GDI and have them take a look at it.

If you suspect it's fuelling badly, then it could be the lambda, but that doesent normally affect WOT performance too much.

Talking about excess back pressure.. Unfortunate guy with a AX GT. Surprising how much damage an un ripe banana can cause ! He wished he hadn't gone to Quick Fit !

clio 172
where is a cheapish place to get a exhaust system from as i dont want to be spending too much money on it as i dont know how long i will have the car there are some on ebay but they are all with twin tail pipes