ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v / 1.4 16v

Has anyone driven both these engines in the mk3 clio?

Im changing my order from a 1.2 16v to the 1.4 16v version today and just wondered if the difference in the two is very noticiable? The stats dont seem that different.

At the moment im driving a 1.2 8v so i know the difference between that and the 1.4 will be BIG!

The difference between the two isnt massive.

Ive had 1.2 courtesy cars which do ~95 to 100 the 1.4 will top 115 with more to go.

You will notice the extra power especially if you drive it with loads of people but unless the extra cost is quite small or you want to be different its not worth it.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

u will notice it mate going from a 1.2 8v defo...in fact i rekon u shud get a 1.6!

H22A7 Accord Type R

when i bought mine, it had air con and an electric sunroof............that was the only difference. I drove both engines, the 1.4 was more to run (insurance) and i couldnt wait hehe, drove the 1.2, thought it was good for what it was, bought it. 1.4 will be bit more substancial, probably be a less tickity engine, and a wee bit quicker :) Rob

think the 0-60 of the 1.4 is 10.4 and the 0-60 of the 1.2 is 13.0....

however there isnt such a big difference in speed between the 1.4 and the 1.6,

but if ur really that worried about speed then the difference between the two probably aint cost effective!! seeing as the 1.2 comes with free insurance?

ive got the 1.2 16v... and it may not be the quickest of cars but it was quicker than my 106 quiksilver which was the main thing and has some cool features like climate control, electric sunroof, auto headlights, auto wipers, on board computer, abs & a few other things! i love it to bits :D

Mazda MX5 1.8

I got a 1.6..... its not so much the speed on paper difference between the 1.4 and the 1.6 but its like u can run the 1.6 on 1/4 power when the 1.4 would be running on 1/3 power (think thats the right way around lol) and seem as theres not a lot of price difference between the 2 i went for the 1.6 (plus its better when ur explaining ur car has 110bhp and 0-60 under 10 secs......lol)

Also the 1.6 will obv be able to deliver more power on day to day running (ie. not 0-60 runs)

anyway yeah i went from a 1.2 8v clio (mk1) - difference is huge! SO much easier to drive! dont have to try to over take really at all (unless they r going quick in which case why would u bother ovetaking?)

I also drove a 1.4........ good cars but as i say a lil less grunt than the 1.6 obv so if uve got the money go for the 1.6 but the 1.4 is still good and will get the job done! both good cars (1.2 16v would be a no no in my books now i got the 1.6)

and breathe

Well it depends on your age doesnt it for the insurance, as your asking between the 1.2 16v and 1.4 16v, id say the 1.2 16v, probably more economical, cheaper to buy and for the money, better value!