ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v Spark Plugs

I brought some Super 4s spark plugs for my clio as they listed them in a ripspeed halfords..... Goes to fit them and could not get a normal spark plug tool in the hole (Top of engine) to remove the old ones :-(

Anyone else had this major problem? Is this tool a specilist renault part? How do I go about this?? HELP!! ta

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Yes thsi is a problem LOL

i had to replace mine after getting me car, and you cannot use a standard tool to remove them.

But since my dad is a mechanic, managed to source the tool from Snap-On

they are the only one with the tool, (this was 2months ago) so maybe more ppl are stocking it, but we went everywhere and no one had the tool.

Has

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Erm... try taking it to a local garage see if they have a tool u can use, i tried this but no one bloody had it !!!

im in Surrey, nr Epsom probably a lil bit far off for ya. :s

if its not urgent i can try an source one for ya?

Epsom aint that far.... Im pretty much on the M25 and its just clockwise a bit. But yeah if you could source one that ill be great.... Why do they make these specilised parts eh?

Changing them because super 4s give a better responsive engine.... better spark, better starting.... What im trying to say is Renault done it again by inventing a specilised tool that no one can get hold of so they get more money from people having the sh*tty renault spark plugs fitted at service....

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 20 November 2003

Changing them because super 4s give a better responsive engine.... better spark, better starting.... What im trying to say is Renault done it again by inventing a specilised tool that no one can get hold of so they get more money from people having the sh*tty renault spark plugs fitted at service....
God, not this crud again!

f**k sake, i changed mine after 25k cos of a very lumpy engine and they were utterly shagged !!

apparently the tool costs £100+ from snap on !! got a mate with a garage to change em for a five quid backhander :)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

use a standard deep socket( i think there 14m) then pick them out of the holes with a pencil magnet.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Steve,

Right had a word to me dad, cause im up in Coventry at the mo (University)

If u really want to use the tool, u can drop by to my place in London nr U, and u can use the tool there if ya like, PM if ya need anything

Has

Lionel Richie

Mine were changed as part of the major service, "better spark = better running engine etc etc blah blah" rubbish!!!! Spark plugs do one thing, spark!!!!! OE ones are fine (remember a 1.2 16v is built for economy not performance!!!! Even changing the plugs on a 172 wont do anything!!)

it is a special tool, even the guys at renault were confused about the tool, a slim socket used for a bikes plugs also did not fit, the standard ones are too big by about a mm or 2

you def need a tool from snap on or similar...

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 21 November 2003

socket extension people!!!

You deffo do NOT need a special tool.
Yes i know that mate, my dads a mechanic and said i can take em out for ya with a standard tool, but when/if u pull them out after with a puller u risk damaging the spark plug mate!

be safe and use the correct tool!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

BUT in any case, unless ur spak plugs need changing dont bother¬!¬

there is no need to change em unless ur car is havin serious problems like mine was.

Has

Renault Laguna Sports

Why are you all so obsessed with getting a special tool for changing spark plugs.I work for a Renault dealer and we use a standard 14mm deep socket, nothing special.

Honestly mate the standard tool does not fit down the hole... It simply just does not go down the long deep hole which the spark plug sits... Ive been in motor factors and talked to them they have one size fits all thats all they sell and they dont fit down the hole.... Trust me on this one ok....

Quote: Originally posted by Clio16vSport on 21 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 21 November 2003

socket extension people!!!

You deffo do NOT need a special tool.
Yes i know that mate, my dads a mechanic and said i can take em out for ya with a standard tool, but when/if u pull them out after with a puller u risk damaging the spark plug mate!

be safe and use the correct tool!

Renault Laguna Sports

Not saying use a standard plug socket, use a standard 14mm deep socket [ available at any motor spares shop ] , an extension and ratchet and changing the plugs is no problem at all.

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE, IM A RENAULT TECHNICIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

never mind mate lol.........if they wanna make plug changing a massive deal lol.

And a puller on a plug! eh?

it either comes up with the socket if its got a rubber sleve in it or a pair of long nose pliers or a magnet will pull them up.......break them, only if your really retarded.