ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 8v

Has anyone driven it, and does it really feel underpowered as a first car? Im looking at getting the 1.4 16v as my first but theres a 1.2 8v replica V6 which could look very nice but i obviously dont want it if i wont be able to keep up with a granny!

I wouldnt worry the 1.2 8V is underpowered but if its the V6 lookalike on here I wouldnt care about power just look at the thing, you dont need to go quick to get people to look at it.

Its an excellent replica.

If you want you could have a 2.0 etc dropped in.

At 16... id love the 2.0 16v lump dropped in, and could afford to but it insurance wise it aint gonna happen ;). Thats what i was thinking though, if i had the 1.4 16v then id be encouraged to speed, whereas if i had the 1.2 8v id be happy enough cruising at low speed in a nice looking car lol.

Fiesta ST Stage 3

But you would get blown away by a smart car ;) . Looks are nice but RAW POWER is soo much fun but at 16 its just a big no no .

Quote: Originally posted by mr bognor on 21 September 2004

But you would get blown away by a smart car ;) . Looks are nice but RAW POWER is soo much fun but at 16 its just a big no no .
Whats a big no no?

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Your age

Powerfull car = £££££ insurance

So get a 1.2 or somthing like that for the first year or so .

Fiesta ST Stage 3

??? Insurance company do not like mods at all

How about this for an example

Me . age 22 2 years NCB fully comp Tesco with no mods £ 937 for 12 months

With direct line with an IK Chip ect £ 1754 for 10 months.

[Edited by mr bognor on 21 September 2004 at 9:17pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Spammy on 21 September 2004

Sounds about right, but will i be able to insure the car even with the bodykit do you think?
Yep give a few companies a ring. Quite a few dont charge for mods.

More than (fine with any exterier and interier mods so long as no faster accelaration or top speed)

Liverpool Victoria (excellent with mods and engine work so long as you dont change cc)

Twingo 133

I find the 1.2 8v pretty nippy for what it is (mk1 phase 3).

Because the clio dont weigh much it can keep up with heavy 1.4s.

my 1.2 is pretty quick off the line and has beat a few cars of the line, but top speed is sh*t, and only 4 gears :|

None

1.2 8vs a fairly nippy for the engine size, especially when u think the mk1 1.4 corsas etc (not 16v) have the same 60bhp as the 1149cc 8v clio :) - according to Parkers Guide

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by mr bognor on 21 September 2004

Unless its the diesel Smart that they dont do over here. 1.3 Turbo Diesel (85 bhp I think) Seen them in Italy

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 22 September 2004Unless its the diesel Smart that they dont do over here. 1.3 Turbo Diesel (85 bhp I think) Seen them in Italy
Ive heard of 120hp tunning kits for them.

Now that would be good laugh

My 1.2 8v Mk1 Phase3 was perfect for me.. first car, Had it for 3 years. Didnt feel slow at all, but then, Id never driven a quick car at that point..

Still in me garage cus I dont wanna sell it, but it has got to go..

Street Triple R

i sometimes drive my mums 1.4 16V and really its pretty slow, i cant imagine the 1.2 being much too much worse powerwise, i would go for the 1.2 just to get yourself some experience, plus the insurance will be better:)

i bought my 1.2 4 years ago but got a years free insurance, it may be underpowered, but put a good air filter in it and it still turns heads!!