ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Clio -- Cold Air Feed

Suzuki Ignis Sport
In a 1.2, where is the best place to put a cold air feed apart from the original place, or where the fog light is?... give me opinions or photos.. thanks

RB 182 Cup
heatsheild001.jpg

heatsheild004.jpg

RenaultSport 197
^ noticed your engine cover has gone. Off to Mark for a spray or just taken off for effect? I agree with where you have put the grey piping, but I dont think the original standard hose (if its still stuck in it's original place) won't work 100% because the IK doesn't have enough power to suck through that hose. The grey pipe should get cold air to the filter a treat though. Good work mate.

RB 182 Cup
weight reduction doug lol. nah joking its a old photo, took it off and sprayed it matt black. Engine looks like a big lego block now lol :D

can just see it here

ebay309.jpg

Breaking A 172 Replica
I don't get why people bother with cold airfeeds to a normal cone IK like that?

Why not just route the IK to the front grille?

Sam

RenaultSport 197

Sam

I've heard that if you get the K-Tec filter relocation kit it suffers from lot's of heat soak and no power gains except for a more deeper intake roar. Just a waste of money by the look's of things IMO.

I think just the filter cone with a decent heat shield may do the trick. Not 100% sure though.

RB 182 Cup
pretty sure you will loose power with 1 of those massive relocation pipes, and with the air feed it directs the air straight in the adaptor plate so just as good, ive also taken that cover behind the grill out so more cool air. I would rather have mine then a hillpower 1 or the ktec 1 with the massive relocation pipe

Breaking A 172 Replica
How would you lose power with the relocation pipe :S?

It doesn't matter where the filter part is does it?

I doubt the cold air feeds are making much, if any difference to the temp of the air flowing into the cone. Check out the angle on the grey tubing and then the other tubing is coming from near the fuse box (I assume?) so no air will be forced in anyway?

Sam

RB 182 Cup
Matt - Yeah its looks soo good cheers for the ps, is going to be looking like that but lower in a couple weeks :D . Also i cant have it to the right of the plate becuase my rads in the way, but im taking out my drivers side fog light, putting my 4inch piperx trumpet in it and having a hugh 4inch air feed to the airfilter :D

RenaultSport 197
pretty sure you will loose power with 1 of those massive relocation pipes, and with the air feed it directs the air straight in the adaptor plate so just as good, ive also taken that cover behind the grill out so more cool air. I would rather have mine then a hillpower 1 or the ktec 1 with the massive relocation pipe

K&N Panel filter in original airbox with 75mm CAF is the way forward :rasp: I decided when I was sluggish as soon as the hot weather came i'd revert back to standard with uprated panel filter and I'm glad I did!! :approve:

RenaultSport 197
How would you lose power with the relocation pipe :S?

It doesn't matter where the filter part is does it?

I doubt the cold air feeds are making much, if any difference to the temp of the air flowing into the cone. Check out the angle on the grey tubing and then the other tubing is coming from near the fuse box (I assume?) so no air will be forced in anyway?

Sam

It makes every bit of difference Sam. The material the pipe is made out of, where the actual filter is, what the cone is made out of etc.. Cold air is denser than hot air :) If you have an aluminium or steel relocation pipe think of all the heat it's going to get! And add to the fact its further away from the engine intake makes it all the more ineffective because hot air into the engine won't make any positive affect on the car. If anything, you need as much cold air as possible running into the filter, so any kind of pipe that is facing in the direction wind enters will have a positive affect on how well the air filter works.

K&N Panel filter in original airbox with 75mm CAF is the way forward :rasp: I decided when I was sluggish as soon as the hot weather came i'd revert back to standard with uprated panel filter and I'm glad I did!! :approve:

I think this will be my next mod, as im starting to feel the heat soak with this hot weather.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Don't get me wrong, I do not doubt the physics of it all; colder air, bigger bang...

But what I do doubt it the effectiveness of the photo'd air feeds. As I said the one coming from behind the off side headlight will be doing sweet FA and the grey one is bent to such an extent I doubt there is even any air flowing out the end!

I am unclear as to exactly what you were saying about the relocating of the filter (I am not being funny btw) but the amount of airflow that gets to even a small engine like a 1.2 is staggering and the heat of the rubber like material that a Hill Power or CAF piping will make to the intake temp will be negligible.

The only disadvantage to relocating to the front grille will be the loss of induction noise.

Sam

RenaultSport 197
Don't get me wrong, I do not doubt the physics of it all; colder air, bigger bang...

But what I do doubt it the effectiveness of the photo'd air feeds. As I said the one coming from behind the off side headlight will be doing sweet FA and the grey one is bent to such an extent I doubt there is even any air flowing out the end!

I am unclear as to exactly what you were saying about the relocating of the filter (I am not being funny btw) but the amount of airflow that gets to even a small engine like a 1.2 is staggering and the heat of the rubber like material that a Hill Power or CAF piping will make to the intake temp will be negligible.

The only disadvantage to relocating to the front grille will be the loss of induction noise.

Sam

Your completely right, Sam that pipe IMO isn't doing anything because it is not sucking any air in and the filter isn't strong enough to suck it. But the grey pipe because it is stuck under the front grill when he travels at higher speeds he will notice a pick up in torque a bit because of the rush of cold air running into it. Fortunately gas will be as flexible as the pipe itself, so if anything the air will lose a bit of power travelling up the pipe, but it will still supply the filter with a source of cold air. I also agree that the engine even on a 1.2 get's plenty of air because it's the same shape as a 2.0ltr under the hood, but steel piping is going to get very hot under there with the force of the wind and the heat from the engine itself, hence a negative effect. It's very true that you will lose the induction noise as well further away from the intake, but the steel pipe with air rushing up it makes a deep grunting noise on full throttle.

Suzuki Ignis Sport

Sam

Maybe because the relocation kit won't fit my car due to my car having air conditioning.

A18XHO ---- Is urs a open filter or is the CAF attached to the air filter? I can't see it properly...

Breaking A 172 Replica
I am not saying get a proper relocation pipe - IMO they are just for aesthetics. Just get a CAF pipe and then attach one end to the adaptor on the airbox and the other end onto the IK.

I really am not convinced about that silver pipe due to the angle.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I am not saying get a proper relocation pipe - IMO they are just for aesthetics. Just get a CAF pipe and then attach one end to the adaptor on the airbox and the other end onto the IK.

I really am not convinced about that silver pipe due to the angle.

One end at the adapter plate?.. and one end at the IK??? won't it be going round in circles?

Breaking A 172 Replica
Why would it be going around in circles?

Cut the pipe to size, so it goes straight from the cone filter (located behind the grille) to the adapter plate.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Why would it be going around in circles?

Cut the pipe to size, so it goes straight from the cone filter (located behind the grille) to the adapter plate.

Ohh i see what u mean!! doing a DIY reolcation Kit, instead of using those big metal tubes?...

U mean detach it from the IK from the adapter plate, then attach a hose to the apdater plate securing it, then attaching the other end to the air filter?... would that seriously work? If it does i will give it a go!.. might look really good aswell!

Whats the best tubing and best looking one also?

1993 Clio 1.2
I'm looking into this as i just got my pipercross through the post yesterday and it seems to be sucking a hell of a lot of hot air. I'm planning on putting 2 feeds on mine from the inner spotlights and make some scoops to increase the driving force to the air.
DSC00009-1.gif

RenaultSport 197
I'm looking into this as i just got my pipercross through the post yesterday and it seems to be sucking a hell of a lot of hot air. I'm planning on putting 2 feeds on mine from the inner spotlights and make some scoops to increase the driving force to the air.
DSC00009-1.gif

LMAO. I'm not suprised it's sucking in alot of hot air!! - The evidence is in this photo. For a start your IK is at the top of the engine, and of course hot air rises, so that's negative point number 1. Point 2 is the fact that it's mounted right above the engine, so it's going to get the full force of the heat from the engine as it's closest to it. And thirdly here, it's right at the back of the engine!! Air has to travel right from the front of the car and under the engine just to get to it, but because all the hot air is rising quicker than the cold air, it will get more heat than cold!!

That won't give your car any gains, and you would be lucky if your car isn't sluggish from that set-up.. Send the filter to the front and relocate it to a source of cold air and you may feel something. The only time that kind of set up work's is if you have a proper bonnet scoop - But that would look naff on a Clio and expensive to do properly.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
i would get a closed system. like a BMC CDA or viper. by the time you have open IK + sudgested SAMCO hosing and *****ed around relocating it. IMO the cost are prob the same

RenaultSport 197
i would get a closed system. like a BMC CDA or viper. by the time you have open IK + sudgested SAMCO hosing and *****ed around relocating it. IMO the cost are prob the same

I've already looked into a BMC induction kit and they don't do 1 for the 1.2 16 or 8v mate. :(

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I'm fine with relocating my open IK, i just want to know whats the best tubing to use... silicone?

306 GTI-6

Any chance of a pic of your setup mate? Not that I intend copying it on my 1.6 at all.;)

RenaultSport 197

Any chance of a pic of your setup mate? Not that I intend copying it on my 1.6 at all.;)

Yea Im sure!! :rasp:

Haha, yea I will try and get some pic's tonight when I get home. :)

306 GTI-6
Yea Im sure!! :rasp:

Haha, yea I will try and get some pic's tonight when I get home. :)

Cheers mate, would be much appreciated. The standard air feed does seem to go somewhere where i can't imagine much air gets to. Did consider rerouting it but couldnt decide where to put it.

RenaultSport 197
The standard air feed goes where the most cold air can be collected without interfering with other engine componants. I had a good look when I re-fitted the new caf exactly how the air gets in and as far as I can see that is probably the best place for it unless you can get a pipe long enough to go to the front bumper. I would actually stick the cold air pipe in the fog light well, but that's not going to happen as I have fogs.

Just get a wide caf, like 100mm thick feeding into the original air box with a new panel filter such as K&N or P-X and you will probably get more gains than an IK at this time of year. I have felt much better throttle response since I have done this. I would imagine it's going to perform all year around as it's not exposed like a cone filter anyway. I wasn't overly impressed when I had my P-X IK on and the foam used to get very hot after I had been driving for a while when I touched the cone. I also felt my fuel consumption was suffering a bit.

As Sam suggested I was going to re-route my filter to directly behind the grill, but im not sure the effect rain would have on this?
Im bored with the IK now anyway, its abit annoying when your slowly edging past someone on a DC and the IK is going baaaaaaaaaaammmmm and your hardly moving!

RenaultSport 197
As Sam suggested I was going to re-route my filter to directly behind the grill, but im not sure the effect rain would have on this?
Im bored with the IK now anyway, its abit annoying when your slowly edging past someone on a DC and the IK is going baaaaaaaaaaammmmm and your hardly moving!

Would do jack mate, rain can't make its way upward's into the filter. The end of the nozzle would get wet, but it's very unlikely it would get inside the air filter housing mate.

So no worries. :D

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I just fitted my CAF to my car, wanted a blue wone but they ran out of stock, so chose boring silver!

DSC00571.jpg