ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Clio project

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
Kinda new to the forum but after reading a lot of the content on here I thought I may as well give it a go! I'm kind of starting the thread after doing quite a bit of the work myself so bare with me[emoji23] So a bit of info on the car; it's a 2002(52) 1.2 16v Gris boreal 'expression' trim spec. The car came from my brother after he'd had it for 3 years prior. Paint work was and still is in very good condition. We bought the car on around 25,000 miles! And my brother took it up to a touch under 60,000 by the time he'd finished with it. In terms of mods it came almost as standard as it gets. Only differences were uprated speakers, pioneer sub and head unit and a false floor in the boot.

eea239b71ccf91ba463aeedbe238a5fa.jpg

So as soon as I got the car I wanted to make a few changes. The main changes were colour coding, sport grille and lowering the car.

The first and cheapest of the lot to do was colour coding the side strips. The paint code (MV632) converts to platinum grey in halfrauds so I bought a couple cans of that, multi grit sand paper and plastic primer. The texture on the plastic was a b**ch to get off and took a good evening of work. I then followed on with the steps of spraying them. Anyone that owns a gris boreal clip will know it's a dreadful colour to try and match up as it has a lot of colours mixed in. I was quite happy with the colour match on the strips in the end and look a good match in most lights.
213820f792d49909c94b69c888dd485c.jpg

I then went on to spend quite a bit of money... Ordered a sport grille brand new from amazon (around £70), then went to ktec and ordered up a set of heko wind deflectors and some eibach springs (-40mm I believe). It all arrived at the same time and I got the grille and wind deflectors fitted pretty easily. The difference the grille makes to how the front end looks is pretty good imo and the wind deflectors make it look a little more sporty so I was happy :) Now, the springs came but in my excitement when ordering them I hadn't really considered insurance too hard :/. I'm a 17 year old lad with nothing good to my name in an insurers eyes and therefore an opportunity to squeeze every last penny from me. Basically id be looking at 2500-3000 with springs insured. So I now have a new set of eibachs under my bed looking sorry for themselves.

As you might have noticed the car had steel wheels on it that my brother had gloss blacked to tidy it up. I decided to source some 172 or 182 wheels for cheap on eBay. After a bit of looking and losing I found a set of 172 16" wheels in decent enough condition on eBay and managed to get 5 for 50 quid!
796fef4aee1d23a63b571b314ca88e81.jpg

0dfd69fdfe6d0ac166275e0ff763e1bd.jpg
20a0fcc8bc79c6b206af8fb1239ac844.jpg
6afde55ab6eae606fb8640ccf8d69f5e.jpg

They arrived in a few days and I booked them in for a new set of rubber (hankooks) for around 250 quid[emoji51]. I test fitted them onto the car but decided the alloy colour really didn't suit the colour of my car so I wanted a quick refurb and respray. This one definitely one of the best choices on the car! I got my brothers mate who works in a spray shop to do them for me in a gun metal grey and this is how they came back to me a few days later, 100 quid well spent!
09f9a30f1b87a7fc3486bffcada3fcfe.jpg
d8cebc47dded2811aa6da22c291d8c60.jpg
447e0da3dd5233b2a7be1c7bffae0b1e.jpg
88fb4cafc4a05717514a79cc9d8be7da.jpg

Next thing I wanted to sort was the lights. As everyone on this forum with a Clio will know the plastic on the headlights goes dreadful and yellow after a while. I tried a cleaning kit from Ktec which worked okay but wasn't the finish I wanted. So I found compete new units on eBay for about £70. Fitting these was alright apart from having to remove the front bumper which had never been done on the car so the screws were rather rusty, took about 3-4 hours in total but the difference was amazing! I also got some satin black spray paint and did the front bumper strips so stop them going faded and I think it made it look better.
93029383476df10bafba8a987d058073.jpg

One of the bits I hated about the Clio was the interior. Reminded of old school trips in 50 year old buses. So I sourced a Clio sport interior on the forum selling part and went up to Essex to collect it. 100 quid for literally everything inside the car, another bargain!

39e5ed9a9d538e4df6f4969601143736.jpg

Fitted most of it now bar one door card that's giving me a headache because of those little popper clips. It's all in good condition kind of relative to its age really but I'm very happy with the difference it's made to the quality side of the interior :).

I've been trying to collect photos throughout the project and I'll add a few more when I've given it a clean up.

In the end id like to have a sport rep (bumpers, lowered etc) and I'm sure I'll do that in time.

More than welcome to give me any things you think would improve it etc. Hope there a few bits that other people with non sports can pick up on and try themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great project mate, I look forward to seeing more updates in the future. Also good work on the colour coding especially with the annoying 632 (Gris Boreal), you planning on doing the bumper strips at the front and back?

I've got the same car and colour but unfortunately my paint work isn't the best so I'm just going to fix some problems and leave it stock until sold, but I'm glad I've got your thread to relate to if I did do some modifications to the car!

Good Luck! :D

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
Great project mate, I look forward to seeing more updates in the future. Also good work on the colour coding especially with the annoying 632 (Gris Boreal), you planning on doing the bumper strips at the front and back?

I've got the same car and colour but unfortunately my paint work isn't the best so I'm just going to fix some problems and leave it stock until sold, but I'm glad I've got your thread to relate to if I did do some modifications to the car!

Good Luck! :D
Thanks fella, obviously a lot of people say don't spend too much on it and save instead for something better, but if you wanted to do a few mods then I'd recommend it! In regards to colour coding I think I'll get a 172 bumper coded to my paint and then a sport front end will follow the same :) feel free to drop me a message if you need a hand with anything :)

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
New update on the 172 rep sort of thing. Been down the local scrap today and had a field day. Found a black 172 rep and a full 172 in Monaco blue in SRC scrap dealer. Apart from the engine everything way there, fresh interior in both cars etc so head down there If you need anything. I only went looking for a plastic clip but like every trip to the scrap dealer I ended up with more than I bargained for. Managed to pull out some plastic inserts for the interior and a 172 rear bumper and cup spoiler! Got the lot for 65 quid which I didn't think was too bad considering the condition.
13ec11959290963ad953e317a2bcc539.jpg
8d88d08d984851bf9e51dc7134797085.jpg
16599f89662239e4ab58c59063281082.jpg
634261ebb4ecfdea7ede0a206c213416.jpg

Next stop is going to be the spray shop to get the colour done in MV632 to match my car for the bumper and spoiler!

Here's a picture of the car for anyone with a Monaco blue 172 or needs other sport parts
1dc550b5813823dfcb76e94e076c0320.jpg

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
Looking great so far, I always enjoy the 1.2 builds in particular since I haven't tweaked with mine at all! Seeing the full interior done with The Renault Sport stuff is nice to see as well, and really tempting...

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
Looking great so far, I always enjoy the 1.2 builds in particular since I haven't tweaked with mine at all! Seeing the full interior done with The Renault Sport stuff is nice to see as well, and really tempting...
Cheers mate, best addition was the interior, just makes it feel a bit more quality certainly wasn't the easiest things to fit though

Titanium 182
Starting to look good here bud, I second the lower dash swap if you have the cream lower one. I did it and it made such a huge improvement to how the inside looked, pain of a job but was worth it. Get them front bump strips colour coded aswell. :up:

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
Starting to look good here bud, I second the lower dash swap if you have the cream lower one. I did it and it made such a huge improvement to how the inside looked, pain of a job but was worth it. Get them front bump strips colour coded aswell. :up:
I really want to do the dash swap but it seems like a huge amount of work! The hope is to get a sport front bumper and that soon so I'll leave it as is for the moment, cheers for the feedback mate

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
So it's been a while since I updated this as not a lot has happened with the car due to low funds over Xmas. But now I've been paid I decided to put the springs on that I bought a while ago. I paid about 150 quid for them from ktec (eibach sportlines) with a 45mm drop all over. Because of this shitty weather I decided I'd take it to a garage for them to fit them. I took it to ATR in Bognor and I definitely recommend them to anyone in the area. Cost came to 2 hours worth of labour at 40 quid an hour which I considered pretty good to keep me out of trouble and rain! I really like how it sits now and it will settle eventually to a lower height. Next few tasks are a gloss black wrap on the roof, sport spoiler and rear bumper and a boot build for the sub! Heres a picture of it lowered, I don't have a decent one of before but when I'm back from work I'll put one up
d4881952312ad040e5c2fb7b52d8b5d4.jpg

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
So, quick update. Got a few plans for the clio coming up but all limited by money of course :/ I'd love to get a new exhaust on in March, nothing too big or noisy but enough to just give it a bit of a nicer sound, looked a couple of ones including Ktec stealth and an eBay jobby which both look quite good. Also still waiting on getting the 172 bumper a spoiler sprayed, got quoted 220 to do the lot so I'm holding out for a while until I have the funds. But on the bright side it's been a decent day today and given it a good wash and polish. If anyone has any ideas on good 1.2 exhausts from past experience then let me know!
96b2079ea0c883d6db85d06a3e580384.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
You wont get a nice sound of that engine by adding an exhaust, you can have more volume, but it'll still sound like a 1.2 4-banger.
I know that what is a "nice sound" is entirely an individual thing, but after you've spent the money putting a zorst on it, it could sound like Daffy Duck getting his end blown and you'd still swear blind that it's better than a Ferrari.

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
You wont get a nice sound of that engine by adding an exhaust, you can have more volume, but it'll still sound like a 1.2 4-banger.
I know that what is a "nice sound" is entirely an individual thing, but after you've spent the money putting a zorst on it, it could sound like Daffy Duck getting his end blown and you'd still swear blind that it's better than a Ferrari.
Mm I get where you're coming from, just don't want it to be a 7inch pipe that sounds awful, want something that has a bit more noise without it being ridiculous if that makes sense

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
Sooo what's been going on with my 1.2. Had a few bits done since I last updated, first of which was a new exhaust! I opted for the sportex one on eBay for 155 quid and I am more than happy with the result. Sounds a lot deeper than I expected plus gets plenty of pops and bangs from it! and it idles silently which sort of prevents headaches lol. I am going to do a cut out for in soon so it looks a bit more oem but it's under the bumper for now :) and the second thing I've done is colour coded my door handles, pretty small change but makes a nice difference to how the car looks! So moving on from that I'm hoping to get some bumpers and spoiler sprayed and then get it down on coilovers and maybe some shiny new wheels!
57a1f723c433c5471e5cbe86a0e2d333.jpg
2e879e99e3507aacb7268c0b2a4b9553.jpg
eb0fadfc8a16bbc084e24fa05f3c223a.jpg
7020bc0f39ee0cbd63195c42ab68a874.jpg

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good mate. Best mod you can do is tyres on a 1.2 IMO, stuck some good rubber on mine and had some great fun in the bends since straight line fun was out of the question.

Is your sunroof sealed too? Mine leaked which was a bit of a b**ch, tried to seal it but didn't work long term.

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
Looks good mate. Best mod you can do is tyres on a 1.2 IMO, stuck some good rubber on mine and had some great fun in the bends since straight line fun was out of the question.

Is your sunroof sealed too? Mine leaked which was a bit of a b**ch, tried to seal it but didn't work long term.
Couldn't agree more, got some good hankook tyres on when I bought it and it's great fun down a B road, but coming out the corners not so much haha. Yeah I sealed mine up, it hasn't stopped the leaking but has made it a lot better!

Clio MK2 Phase2 1.2
A lot of you seemed to say the bottom half of the dash would be good to change to a black one which I agreed with but I decided to try something a bit different. I bought myself a large piece of suede and had an attempt at wrapping the dash. Took a couple of hours but I was pretty happy with this outcome! Just need to find a neat way of being able to use the handle on the glove box. Also as it was a nice day I could do a bit of cleaning ready for a meet this evening! I hope to be getting coilovers and some show wheels in the coming months.
8fc8f77a0301bff27016d7c6e3647c0c.jpg
d015875a5bdb3e6eac6c2b687de1b80f.jpg
1c6354b0517e7457fe0488aa5dca7eb9.jpg
79be960305a167a1f5e6320d24bbc30e.jpg

A lot of you seemed to say the bottom half of the dash would be good to change to a black one which I agreed with but I decided to try something a bit different. I bought myself a large piece of suede and had an attempt at wrapping the dash. Took a couple of hours but I was pretty happy with this outcome! Just need to find a neat way of being able to use the handle on the glove box. Also as it was a nice day I could do a bit of cleaning ready for a meet this evening! I hope to be getting coilovers and some show wheels in the coming months. View attachment 1319045View attachment 1319046View attachment 1319047View attachment 1319048

I read suede and thought, 'oh god. here we go...' but to be honest mate I'm with you on this one, I kinda like it! certainly, makes it stand out from the rest - mine included ;)