ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 engine really loud, tappets?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
basically my 1.2 engine sounds like a diesel and its driving me mad. i had a look on here through the search but most people who have this problem have a sport and the solution was the dephaser pulley or something like that. from what i have read, the 1.2 doesn't have this ? so it cant be that. so im thinking it may be the tappets need adjusting ? any ideas would be good, also if they did need adjusting would it currently be affecting performance in anyway ?

any help would be good, cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Correct, most likely that the clearances need setting... obviously you need to do this when the engine is cold.

I doubt it would seriously effect the power output of the engine unless they're completely wrong but the knocking will make you feel like something isn't right.

Mick

MK3 GTI golf 16v
it does feel like its lost a little low end power lately and its been getting worse. ill get the valve clearances done and see what happens after that

They can get so bad that it affects running and sometimes they cause a banging / backfire sound from the inlet. Was a renault tech note about it.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
my car backfires basicly everytime i put my foot down then lift of the throttle, i dunno if thats normal, it has covered alot of miles though