ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 First Car..

EP3 and Turbz
Hi everyone, allow me to introduce myself. I'm 20 years old and for the past year, I've been a member on this site and told myself once I've become employed, I'd sign up to be a full member.

After a year of searching for work with the 'useful' Job Centre and fixing up a MG TF 160, restoring the brake callipers, a overheating problem, repairing a wiring loom which burnt out the fuse box, cigarette lighter and interior lights, changing front two rotten wishbones and fitting the sports exhaust from the previous MG F.
I've recently become employed and work for Land Rover so I decided to re-insure my bone stock 1.2 Clio, which I've had for 2 years, with 1 owner from new and had 65,000 miles on the clock, off a friend of my Dads at his work, he kept all the original receipts, as well as past MOT certificates he had. (Unless you count my Dad as it was in his name when we brought it then 2)

(With all of this information I have pictures to follow)

When the time come to book the car into an MOT, I was told that my rear springs were corroded. I had a look around at the prices for rear springs, but my plan was always to lower it in the near future. So to save myself some money I brought a set of four, 40mm Apex Lowering Springs (No idea if they're any good, but seem to be all right to me) My brake light and rear fog light used to flash in sync with the indicator, so by searching through the forums I found out what the problem was and fixed it, so thanks for all the useful help to anyone who posted in the relative area.. :approve:

Finally when my springs arrived, my Dad and myself decided to fit them, the rear springs were pretty simple to swap over, when removed the rear right spring snapped off at the bottom when sliding it out, but, the front right shock absorber nut was seized on. No matter what, heat, wd40, spanners or 2 sets of broken alan keys would not budge it. My Dad then made the decision to drill into the nut to get off. After doing that, we then saw that the shock was damaged, so the next day we ordered two front new shocks (KYB Shock Absorbers Premium, which were my Dads choice) and a shock absorber cup. Finally with the car back on all fours, it went off the for re-test and passed. I've also blacked up the black bits on the car as they were fading.

Current:
LED side lights,
40mm Apex Lowering Springs.

Plans:
New plates, the old ones are starting to grow trees,
New alloy wheels (I like the OZ F1 Cup Alloys)
Colour coded strips and spoiler,
Exhaust (I hate the sound of the standard one)
Clear side light repeaters.

That's pretty much it as far as I can think of so far..

Attachments

• Clio 1.jpg
    Clio 1.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Clio 2.jpg
    Clio 2.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Clio 3.jpg
    Clio 3.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Front Springs.jpg
    Front Springs.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 51
  • KYB Shocks Premium.jpg
    KYB Shocks Premium.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 61
  • Lowered Height.jpg
    Lowered Height.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Original Height.jpg
    Original Height.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 78
  • Rear Spring Size Difference.jpg
    Rear Spring Size Difference.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Snapped Spring.jpg
    Snapped Spring.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 58
  EP3 and Turbz
I'm also trying to get to grips with how to upload the pictures without having them appear in little boxes. so it doesn't work sorry.

As the sun came out on the weekend and both of the cars were in need of a good clean I decided to take advantage of the weather and clean them both up. After a few hours, they were taken out to get some photos in the sun.
Dirty cars:
20130420_115528_zps9841436a.gif

20130420_115633_zpsab574046.gif

After the clean:
20130420_173253_zpse440f783.gif

20130420_173304_zps90927be9.gif

20130420_173326_zps4130c1ba.gif

20130420_175948_zps7f2a698c.gif

20130420_175958_zpsd0c92490.gif

My co-driver also decided to come for the ride as he heard the clatter of the keys when I picked them up, so here he is in action..
20130420_180445_zpsb7e9e0d3.gif

After watching some videos to get the idea of the types of exhausts I could get I purchased a Sportex 3" twin exhaust (Yes I know it's a 1.2 but I brought it for the sound) and some clear side light repeaters. About a week they arrived and after telling the insurance company about the exhaust, I decided to install them. In the process of fitting the exhaust the rear rubber mounting looked as if it was going to break in the wind, so I purchased a new rear exhaust mount and rubber for around £9.50. After replacing it and starting it up. It sounds quite loud when it's first started up but then it starts to die down (So when I'm on the morning shift leaving at around 4:45am I'm going to be popular with the street but slowly getting to grips with pulling away without it making to much noise) The exhaust itself sounds quite nice and occasionally pops back when I come off the accelerator which I tend to enjoy the sound of :eek: I also thought it would be to big for the bumper but it fits on it quite nice and is something else to look at.
036fe5fc-0cf6-4cd8-b2a6-fc8f599c39e6_zps8dcee573.gif

549846e2-3d8c-41ef-b354-2882f1c1ac00_zpsc329493e.gif

20130428_171346_zpsb114e7aa.gif

20130428_171330_zpsa06f540e.gif

That's about it so far.. I've just ordered some Team Heko Wind Deflectors as sometimes come home on the motorway and do quite a bit of driving with the windows down, plus I think it helps make them look better.
I've got some new plates but kept them to the standard size after my police friend told me they were illegal although he said it depends how you speak to the bobby. "If you treat them like an idiot, they'll treat you like an idiot" I also don't want to pulled over any more than the next man does really.

But that's about it for the time being until, I decide to order my grill and new wheels, then I'll happy :)

EP3 and Turbz
Also forgot to add, my membership pack came in the post, so I fitted the ClioSport decal on the rear screen below the spoiler and the tax disc..

If anyone has any more suggestions on what else to do, let me know, thanks :)

EP3 and Turbz
Haven't updated this in a while, but I took a trip out and managed to take a photo of how my car looks now to how it looked then, in the same place. Not that much of a dramatic change apart from the wind deflectors, clear side repeaters, slightly lower and the exhaust and the black parts on the car, actually black rather than the faded grey..

DSCF0156_zps75c7e499.gif

20130505_1731141_zps4a0384f4.gif

Probably going to stay like for that a while until I find some wheels that I like

EP3 and Turbz
Thanks, it's one of my favourite places to drive to and once you're there. There is so many places to take some decent photos.

EP3 and Turbz
It's in Wales mate, just about East of Aberystwyth. It's full of reservoirs. Yeah I enjoy the twisty roads, surprisingly how well the 1.2s actually handle. Can't wait to try a 182 :D

EP3 and Turbz
I finally got my sport grille on and completely forgot to upload the picture to my thread. so here we go!
2013-08-24131545_zps2da141f2.gif

I have now brought a Liquid Yellow 182 so I won't be carrying on with this thread anymore as I'm giving the car to my brother in a few months, so pointless in me doing anything else to it as it will be wasted money and might aswell save it for the 182! Here's the progress thread for anyone who is interested! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?717394-Liquid-Yellow-182-second-car-)