ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Grande Engine Trouble

The timing belt snapped on my car a few months ago and i got it repaired and was running fine.
Over the past couple of weeks its developed a starting problem. Sometimes taking two turns of the key to start until the other night. Was out and about and stopped the car, went to start it and it attempted to turn and gave up. I tried it a good few more times and still nothing. Got to the point where my battery went flat because i tried it so many times.
I am going to get a new battery anyway as this one keeps discharging itself, i can't leave the ignition on for the radio or it goes flat very quickly.
Managed to get my mate down and we pushed it out the car park and i got it started that way. Its now down it twice in 4 days and both times iv had to push it to get it started.

Ever since iv had the car its made a horrible noise when starting. Like a screech or something just after the cars started. I managed to get a video of it starting, it might not be good quality as there was builders across the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJtGFbxyFLI

Any thoughts?

monaco 172
sounds like it could be alternator (not charging the battery) or starter motor (making the screeching noise).

i don't think its the alternator, think its just a dodgy battery as i checked the voltage across the battery on idle and it was sitting at 14.6V so that's fine.

Thought it might be the starter motor making the screech

jamescolli

ClioSport Club Member
mine has started making the exact same noise a couple of weeks ago :(
hope this isn't an expensive fix

Mines made the noise ever since i got it last September, its just now im having starting problems :s

Think i might of found the problem.

Went out to have a look where the TDC sensor actually was and realized that the oil return hose coming from the throttle body wasn't actually connected up and the oil was pissing down the side of the engine. Reconnected that and its started fine again. Will give it a couple of days though

Bux

Golf GTD
Hope it's sorted now. Mine makes that screeching noise sometimes and i've had it since last November. Ive never had any problems with it yet :p

That wasn't the problem. It still struggles to start.

Iv now taken off the TDC sensor to find it has been renewed before at some point. Gave it a clean with carb cleaner and replaced. Also flushed out the U-Bend from the airbox to the throttle body. That was full of gunk so cleared that with carb cleaner too.

Will report if it clears the problem now. Failing that il get a new TDC sensor ( £25 from Renault )

Car still struggles to start.

Also realized that the cable for the TDC sensor has been cut before and put back together so i think i will recut it and solder each wire back together, maybe get a better connection.

Failing that its a new TDC sensor

Gave in and bought a new TDC sensor today after 2 days of constantly bump starting it.

Car starts first time now but on a couple of occasions it is still struggling to start.

Also a noise has just developed on the way down the revs, as in just coming to idle, it is a clatter sound and seems to be coming from the left hand side of the engine to the right of the aux belt. It sounds like a bolt in a washing machine tbh. What could possibly be the cause of this?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Clio
OK that sounds (your utube clip) exactly like your starter motor solenoid is sticking. This would cause the sound when it does start (as the starter cog tries to disengage the fly wheel) and stop it from starting at all (as the solenoid engages the starter motor cog then connects the motor to the battery.) You can get these separately from the starter motor but there like hens teeth and for a little extra you'd get the whole starter motor and solenoid together.
If you want to be totally sure it’s this part, hit it (nothing else) with a hammer a few times next time it doesn’t start and try the key again. It’s the small cylinder on the side of the starter motor by the way.
I carried a hammer around for a total of 2 weeks as a means of getting the car started (even through the MOT, it passed). Funny i had to do the same for a mate's Ford Transit van once too.

Last edited: