ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 mods

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Hi guys,

Im new here, after previously having my dci encounter a tree i have decided to move onto petrol (im converted!).

Basically ive just got a few questions with regards to my 1.2.

I really dont like the height and im aware that chopping standard springs is a big no no so if i bought 60mm lowering springs and cut one coil off to drop it a few more mm would this be ok? I guess because its a harder spring it could take the extra weight it has to support?

Next question is breaks. Now since i like going on track and having braking power, would i be able to fit some 182 discs on the front and fit a 182 front beam on the rear too? I think it would be awesome if i had front discs all round and it would stop so well. Some people tell me the fron does 90% of the braking but i think if i had it all the way round every little would help.

Next job is the engine. I know its a 1.2 but its a quick 1.2 and was wondering what mods i would need to do to get it competing with the 1.4s and 1.6s possibly 172s (although i know 172s are quick i think its possible with forced air induction).

Thanks for your help guys, appreciated. :)

172 Cup
Diesel_Power said:
I know its a 1.2 but its a quick 1.2 and was wondering what mods i would need to do to get it competing with the 1.4s and 1.6s possibly 172s (although i know 172s are quick i think its possible with forced air induction).

Forced induction and £20,000 later may see a 1.2 "competing" with 172's otherwise I'd be sensible and come back down to earth.

If you want that sort of power then simply save you cash, drive the 1.2 for a year and then buy a 172.

Renaultclio mk3
Diesel_Power said:
Hi guys,

Im new here, after previously having my dci encounter a tree i have decided to move onto petrol (im converted!).

Basically ive just got a few questions with regards to my 1.2.

I really dont like the height and im aware that chopping standard springs is a big no no so if i bought 60mm lowering springs and cut one coil off to drop it a few more mm would this be ok? I guess because its a harder spring it could take the extra weight it has to support?

Next question is breaks. Now since i like going on track and having braking power, would i be able to fit some 182 discs on the front and fit a 182 front beam on the rear too? I think it would be awesome if i had front discs all round and it would stop so well. Some people tell me the fron does 90% of the braking but i think if i had it all the way round every little would help.

Next job is the engine. I know its a 1.2 but its a quick 1.2 and was wondering what mods i would need to do to get it competing with the 1.4s and 1.6s possibly 172s (although i know 172s are quick i think its possible with forced air induction).

Thanks for your help guys, appreciated. :)

if your dropping it recommend getting coilovers and doing it properley instead of chopping springs etc.

as for engine mods if your going to attempt to make your 1.2 keep up with a 172 good luck. your gonna need a hell of a lot more than forced air induction to produce another 100bhp at least.

Focus ST
I wouldn't start cutting springs, not really how they are designed to be used. Anymore than 60mm and I believe (could be wrong) that you'll have to start taking out the wheel arch lining or something.

If your going to mod the disc best to mod disc's and pads. Don't think you can put 1*2 brakes on, but if you try www.yozzasport.co.uk or K-Tec Racing, I think they have the bits you'll need.

1 Series Coupe
tbh the 1.2 engine really isnt that powerful... its not ever going to be as quick as the 172... or even the 1.6... the 1.4 is possibly, but its not worth it... but you must have more money then sense to try and make the 1.2 faster...

I'd strongly recommend modifying your springs and putting identical brakes front and back, after all the backend won't lighten under braking and lock up due to the vastly over powered brakes.......

If you want to spend the money to make a 1.2 compete with a 172 why don't you save some and buy a proper 172?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Thanks for the reply guys. :)

The reason i have a 1.2 is becausxe i have a high insurance premium therefore i cant afford the 172 but i thought i could just mod the 1.2 to get it near 1.6 in perforamce, obviously 172 is a dream but it would be nice to aim for.

Coilovers are good but too expensive, i was just thinking springs afterall i want it to look good before handling.

Would the 182 front beam fit ok on my rear? Also, this may sound silly but my mate says that exhuasts are just pipes and since hes a welder he could just make a straight through from some mild steel he has laying around, shoulkd i trust him or walk away? I mean hes good and could make me a manifold and pipe up to my backbox.

Renaultclio mk3
its not advisable putting 60mm springs on standard shocks doesnt do them any good at all. thats why id recommend coilovers cost a bit more but at least its done properley.

1 Series Coupe
Diesel_Power said:
Thanks for the reply guys. :)

The reason i have a 1.2 is becausxe i have a high insurance premium therefore i cant afford the 172 but i thought i could just mod the 1.2 to get it near 1.6 in perforamce, obviously 172 is a dream but it would be nice to aim for.
Trying to mod you 1.2 with engine mods will probly boost your insurance higher then a 172 anyway... and theres no point in not delcaring mods.. as this causes more trouble then its worth..

Sorry JoelDee to make an example of you:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123794&highlight=civic

(read the whole thread)

al

ST on the way...
It would need a HELL of a lot of work to give a 1.2 110bhp.

1.6 16v is only Group 8 insurance.

Diesel_Power said:
/quote]

You'll have an even higher premium when you've declared these mods!!!

Who smells a troll?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I suppose your right with insurance mods declaring an that. I suppose i could just save my money on engine mods and improve it with coilovers etc. Whats the best way to get the best out of my engine? Would a induction kit and my mates exhaust free up the air so more gets in the engine? Do you have to declare if you take your seats an interior out cos i was gonna weight save it but i dunno about dash cos i would need speedo for speed cameras an that.

C

Cupster

I would have another dci and chipped that. Aren't they turbo diesel?

lol @ chopping springs, 60mm is a nice drop for the clio.

The money you would spend modding a 1.2 to get any sort of gain would cover the 172 insurance!!

172 Cup
Diesel_Power said:
Whats the best way to get the best out of my engine? Would a induction kit and my mates exhaust free up the air so more gets in the engine?

You'd end up with probably twice the amount of noise and 1bhp (possibly minus 5bhp) with those mods.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Cheers cupster, i realised now moddin the engine would cost as much as jus buying a 172, lol.

I want my car about 100mm down, i think it sits nice so if i just chopped a quarter off it would be about 100mm on 60mm springs. The diesel was good ,i loved it, weasa dci 80, good run around but i like the sporty noise from the petrol and the revs.

ST
If your wanting to track it, get some good discs and pads up front, leave the standard drums at the back as you said earlier the front does 90% of the work anyway....if you want to improve how the car goes round corners go for the -60mm apex kit (60mm springs with matched gas shocks) around £280 from: http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/

Or if you have a bit more to spend on suspension go for coilovers.

To make it breathe a little better get a stainless cat back exhaust and a panel filter for the standard airbox with a custom cold air feed....your not going to get much power from the 1.2 16v so your best working with whats already there....the 1.4 is quick for what it is with 98bhp and only group 5 insurance tho the 1.6 is a bit of a waste of money 110bhp and its group 8 and they aren't really that quick...

When i had my 1.2 16v dynamique with the apex gas kit and a black diamond fast road brake kit it easily kept up with my mates C2 VTR on back roads, he sometimes struggled to keep up with me...if you can drive a car you'll have no probs keeping up with 'faster' cars.

Cheers, Alan.

ST
al said:
I'd beg to differ with that.

Of course you will, you drive one ;)

Nah they are alright if you can justify spending the extra over the 1.4 but the one i drove was a bit of a dog.

al

ST on the way...
Alan said:
Of course you will, you drive one ;)

Nah they are alright if you can justify spending the extra over the 1.4 but the one i drove was a bit of a dog.

Exactly!! lol :D

Not just the extra power but the extra torque.

"There's no replacement for displacement"

8.8 0-60 ;)

K20 EG Hatch
On a serious note, coilovers and a descent brake pad/discs setup are the way forward on a 1.2!

Attachments

• DSCN2399.jpg
    DSCN2399.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN2401.jpg
    DSCN2401.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 29
then what the standrard dampers would die on on me i guess? humm a point to ponder lol u rekon best to wait till i can afford whole kit?

al

ST on the way...
Don't get a 172/182 tho, they're far too common!! :rasp:

**runs away whilst donning heavy duty flame suit**