ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 to 1.6 Conversion

Hi Guys

My familys grew now so were looking at getting a bigger car and wanting to keep the little Clio

Before anyone says its not worth it or its too expensive I'm wanting to do this in my spare time to gain more experience in the mechanical side of cars.

So what would I need to change from a 1.2 16v to 1.6 16v so far ive got:

Engine & Box
Ancillarys
Engine Mounts?
Ecu, Uch?
Driveshafts?

Anything else ive missed off?

Cheers Scott

220 Trophy, 172 Ph2
You'd be better trying to get a complete 1.6 car to do the swap but why not just put a f4r in it instead. You could pick up a rough 172/182 with a good engine and box and probably cost you the same. The reason that i say get a full car is that if anything is different you can compare plus you have a few spares just incase.

You'd be better trying to get a complete 1.6 car to do the swap but why not just put a f4r in it instead. You could pick up a rough 172/182 with a good engine and box and probably cost you the same. The reason that i say get a full car is that if anything is different you can compare plus you have a few spares just incase.

this tbh mate ^

I'll be doing the same once I can afford the conversion, I will be doing the 1.2 to F4r conversion including the rear axle etc, so I would need a full car anyway

but anything you don't use from the donor car you can sell to someone else as spares :)

With the price of 1*2s conversions just don't make sense anymore.

If you want to gain mechanical experience just take it apart and put it back together.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
FFS he has a perfectly good reason to do the conversion, he wants to learn more about the mechanics of the car and I say good on him for it.

FF Clio 182
Did anyone seem him say " should I do the conversion!" No because that isn't what this thread it! No answer the poor mans question people!

Thought about doing what you are thinking a while back. Keeping my 1.2 buying a new car (Probably a 182 ;) ) and then getting a cheap rear end smashed 172 to transfer the engine to the 1.2 to learn more about cars. It's a good way to learn, if you can afford it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the conversion from 1.2 16v to 1.6 16v and 1.2 16v to 2.0 16v need the exact same parts all changed over so its no more work to go for a 2.0 than a 1.6 as i looked into it all years ago. if you fancy doing something different however i would atleast look at a 133hp twingo RS 1.6 16v engine or a 1.2 TCE engine especially the 1.2 TCE since no one has converted it yet to a Clio 2

the conversion from 1.2 16v to 1.6 16v and 1.2 16v to 2.0 16v need the exact same parts all changed over so its no more work to go for a 2.0 than a 1.6 as i looked into it all years ago. if you fancy doing something different however i would atleast look at a 133hp twingo RS 1.6 16v engine or a 1.2 TCE engine especially the 1.2 TCE since no one has converted it yet to a Clio 2

Cheers Martin

The twingo RS and 1.2 TCE would be somthing to look into also so will look into that also:)

If I was to convert it to a 2.0 16v what parts would need replacing? Pretty much everything under the bonet?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
engine, gearbox, ECU, all wiring, UCH, dials and ideally to make the job a bit easier the subframe,bottom arms, steering rack, hubs, suspension etc etc.

which is why it makes a bit more sence to buy a car and swap it all over,just drop the subframe, engine, gearbox, suspension etc all as one lot then lift the car being converted over the top of it and mount it all in!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
thought the 1.2,1.4 and 1.6 clios all use the same suspension,brakes,subframe,driveshafts,gearbox and exhaust where as the 2.0l uses different so fitting a 1.6 would be easier and cheaper than fitting a 2.0l.