ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.216v to 2.0

Can i have a list of what things spring to mind for a 2.0 172 conversion..

Comments along the lines of just get a 172 not welcome ;)

Cheers

-Rob

to be more accurate..drivetrain wise..essentials..like what makes a 172 diff from base models. 172 badges..rear brakes, dont matter!

Thanks.

I would have thought pretty much most of the car !! The only thing that will probably be original will be the shell !!! Plus I am under the impression that a Q plate would be in order ??

Engine, Box, ecu and loom for starters, not sure about the exhaust manifold etc.

Oh and just buy a 172 :p

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

And remember you really would need upgraded brakes at least as the engine may be too much for the standard ones.

The mechanics bill would equal the cost a 172 so its not worth it !! The only thing that your car and a 172 have in common are its looks !! engine,box,ECU,wiring loom, brakes, driveshafts, subframes, suspension, and anything performance related !! If the parts could be sourced cheap and you had a LOT of free time then it may be viable but otherwise its really not worth it !!

7.6cc :D

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 28 December 2003

The only thing that will probably be original will be the shell !!!
The shell is different isnt it, youd need new arches, grill, bumpers etc

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

to convert it would cost you a fortune to buy all the parts new.you would need either an written off 172 so you could retreive all the mechanical/electrical parts you req(try to find one thats had a heavy rear end smash) or just sell yours and buy a 172.

LoL @ craig - next time choose a pic which dont have wings which are part of the shell my friend,

and the shell is different - no sunroof and roof/chassis strengthening.

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 28 December 2003

LoL @ craig - next time choose a pic which dont have wings which are part of the shell my friend,

and the shell is different - no sunroof and roof/chassis strengthening.
I know !! hehe went on google search and it was the best i cud find !! U get my drift anyway !!

And lol @ the shell being different aswell !!! I really cant see a 1.2 - 172 conversion being viable !!!

Cheers Roamer !! U gonna be at this mids meet so u can take me for a spin in ur TB beasty !! ??

I can get the conversion done for free, and i have found a cheap engine (45k), box incl. ecu. from a mk1 172. I know brakes are important but im not looking for a carbon copy of a 172, i can cross those hurdles when i get to them. The advantage of buying a 172 engine seperately is i can modify it whilst still having a car to drive..

I would buy a 172 but theres always the quest to be a bit different, id love make it look like a standard dynamique but have a big engine :D

Anyway im just day dreaming at the mo..its just irratating that i could do it. Would i have any problems putting the engine and gearbox in?

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No. the drive shafts and the hubs might prove a problem tho.

plus you really need to find a rear beam.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

your going to need the rest of the immobiliser system as well.only trouble is if you have a clio 2 mk2 then the immobiliser/internal computer is a different type to a clio 2 mk1 so the looms wont match up(mk1=ucbic mk2=uch).but if you fit a mk1 loom non of the dashboard controls will plug in.you really need a computer,engine loom and the uch of a clio 2 mk2 if yours is a mk2.mechanically it should drop in easy enough.

Mk2 Golf GTI

Quote: Originally posted by JillyB on 28 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 28 December 2003

The only thing that will probably be original will be the shell !!!
The shell is different isnt it, youd need new arches, grill, bumpers etc

duhhh