ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 16V starts then dies

renault clio 1.4 16v
experienced a strange problem today and thought id share.

was driving along all was well, then at a intersection when I dipped the clutch she went straight to zero, didn't even try to idle, re started, revved up fine then went straight to zero again, so drove home just keeping the revs up at intersections. in the past a dirty throttle body and bad connections on the map sensor have caused the car to do similar things, so thats where I started.
cleaned the map sensor, throttle body, tdc sensor, coolant sensor, computer box plug, then something strange happend, it would idle roughly, battle for a bit then stall but as soon as the revs went over 1000 when revving it my rev gauge would drop to zero like something was shorting it out or it was running in reverse.

ended up going through every plug, fuse and relay and earth in the engine bay and cleaning all the contacts, found 2 of the 6 earths to be badly corroded, especially the earth next to the brake fluid reservoir which is rather fun to get to... as well as 4 of the relays were badly corroded.

she idled and revved fine after that, but rev gauge still ran in reverse, a cluster re set took care of that... so before going and blowing millions on new sensors and throttle bodies, try give everything a clean first, bad contacts seem to do strange things

anyone else had a similar problem?