ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1/4 mile 172/182’s over 100mph

Ziel Nurburgring

Do you find that once you hit 100 mph, they really do run out of puff. I suppose its all down the gearing as it gets you there and then runs out of steam.

172 cup TT

i wouldnt say 100, id say around 115/120ish... i know what you mean though. 4th is pretty strong in my cup and gets up to around 120ish (i think)no probs but after that it kinda goes plop..

Ziel Nurburgring

Well i didnt want to post that speed as its not really achievable on a 1/4 mile. But that was what i was getting at. ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

When I went from a 306 Rallye to a 172 Cup I always thought the 306 was better at the top end due to the gear ratios, the Clio would be awesome with an extra cog...

Lee

BMW M2C

My old 172 used to struggle over a ton, but I never felt it was a good example. The 182 pulls hard to 130mph and is still going well up to 140 indicated on the speedo.

Ziel Nurburgring

Its geared to get you there quickly, and then noticably gets out of breath. Heres hoping the new shape gets the 6 speed to not only drop it to acceptable revs in 6th on Mways but also has the top end grunt

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 11 February 2005

My old 172 used to struggle over a ton, but I never felt it was a good example. The 182 pulls hard to 130mph and is still going well up to 140 indicated on the speedo.
Hi lee - nice, how though is the 182 different than my cup in that respect.. maybe mine is similar to yours and it does pull better than that but im not sure mate.. mine is about 180odd bhp anyway too.. oh i dunno

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 11 February 2005

Its geared to get you there quickly, and then noticably gets out of breath. Heres hoping the new shape gets the 6 speed to not only drop it to acceptable revs in 6th on Mways but also has the top end grunt
here here, needs that extra cog

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 11 February 2005
Agreed with Floodie there. It starts to get "I cannae hold it Capn, shes breaking up..." round about 120mphish

FPMSL.. i actually did just laugh out loud cause I acutally shouted that once while driving in the car by myself.

I agree with other though, it does hit a brick wall at about 125-130mph..

MKIII 138

surley thats good enough to prove a point to most cars on the road. other than that i wouldnt want to be going round the twisties at that speed (actually i would but its impossible).

0-125 is where its at !

Clio 172 (flame red)

The gearing has been designed to be nippy around country roads etc not to go blisting down autbahns, unfortunately you cant have it all. I think it needs a 6th gear cos it definately has the torque to deal with it. Although on the plus side it does mean that if you are going along at 80 you arent too far away from the torque limit and it pulls strongly from 80 to 100!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

How long will it be until we get variable gearing ;)

Like that car that used an big elastic band as its gearing lol

think the clio would definately benefit from havong an extra gear, wots the top speed everyone has had out of there 172/182 then ?

Clio 200 Cup packed

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 11 February 2005

How long will it be until we get variable gearing ;)

is that not what comes in some rovers/audis

put ya foot down and the car jumps to 6000rpm and stays there till the wheels catch up, then changes gear and starts again.

CVT i think its called, but apparently is a load of crap, the better version, IVT (which nobody uses) is meant to be much more useful.

172 GTR

To 90 my Boxster and 172 are even. Its after that speed its more about drad Cds v BHP. The Carrera pulls like a train to 150 ( on the track obviously)

Quote: Originally posted by harv172 on 11 February 2005

had indicated 145, with just myself in the car. 140 will car full. think the speedos arent that acurrate tho
speedo is quite accurate really mate. GPS shows mine is 3mph out at 30mph, 4mph out at 100mph and 5mph out at an indicated 147mph, 2mm away from the rev limiter in 5th. (gps reads 142mph)

lads u really shouldnt be taking ur car up to that speed its not all about top end is it as for what everone else says bring on the sixth gear please

VaVa

Fifth isnt brilliant, but at least it still pulls a bit. 5th in the Mk1 172 is much worse . Not much good for speed but better for cruising if thats yours of of thing.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

What sort of speeds do 172/182s hit standard on the 1/4 mile?

Wouldnt have thought theyd get to 100mph?

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 12 February 2005

What sort of speeds do 172/182s hit standard on the 1/4 mile?

Wouldnt have thought theyd get to 100mph?
Nah, standard they wont. Low to mid nineties from what Ive seen on here.

BMW 320d Sport

From what Ive seen, non-standard they wont either. Or at least no-ones modified one and put in some proper times to prove it. In fact the only new Clio that has done over a ton at the line, that I know of, is the orange 1.2 at York - IIRC stripped out totally, tuned 172 engine, plus nitrous, maybe running on little wheels (not sure on that though). Cant remember what the terminal speeds were, but it quarter miled in the mid 13s I think?

Heres a couple of figures.

I ran the 1/4 mile last summer at 14.6 at 94.1mph. This was 100% standard and un-stripped

I ran (only 4 runs 1st thing AM), again at Crail on Sunday, ground was slightly damp (mainly morning dew), couldnt get good traction but ran a couple of 14.9s at 96.4mph, again unstripped. Only mod since last time is Eibachs and full magnex. Given the ET, I think on a dry run I may run 14.5 with the new exhaust.