ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 or 1.5 dCi?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Getting closer to choosing the car I want but can't decided whether I should go petrol or diesel. I'm after a mk2 ph2 either 1.4 petrol or 1.5 diesel.

Still waiting for insurance quotes which will play a huge part in my decision, but was wondering what other people would recommend?

I have driven my brothers 172 and a driving school's (mk3) dCi and have to say the diesel does seem easier to drive (in the sense that it's hard to stall).

I plan on keeping the car for around 3 years - anything else that could help with the decision?

Burgandy 174 sport t
Dci 65 1.5 im sure is 35 quid a yr to tax now and will be cheaper to insure than a 1.4. The 1.5dci is a tad slower than a 1.2 petrol but can be remapped to gain on 1.4 performance imo!

clio...
DCI 65 hands down for a first car. As stated Tax 35 quid, easily achieve 55mpg+, remap for better performance and better MPG.

2002 DCi 65
I have owned my 1.5 DCi 65 for just coming up to 2 months now, and what can i say, except, i wish i'd known about the running costs 4 years ago when i started driving!!

£35 per year to tax - Group 2 insurance (also exempt from London Congestion charge)

and to £10 of diesel at todays prices, comuting to and from work, i am getting 120 miles!!

compare that to the car that i changed from (Celica 2.0GT) and the same £10 of petrol got me, if i was lucky, 55 miles (no joke)

so i say - Get the DCi

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Right, well that was simple.

Every aspect of owning a diesel ticks the boxes. :)

Will be phoning around tomorrow for quotes which, by the sounds of it, will be pretty damn good.

Thanks everyone.

www.renparts.co.uk
diesel feels faster than the 1.2, better mpg and the power is more useable imo, the 1.2 feels dead, the dci 65 still has a nice bit of torque to ride.

Never above 25mpg
The 1.4 isnt a bad option but for fuel economy go for the diesel ;)
I can get 40.8mpg round town if I drive like a grandad and so far havent tested my motorway mpg!!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
all the 1.5dci models are £35 road tax for a year, 65bhp,86bhp,100bhp,106bhp,110bhp

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
why would renault choose to get such shitty power out of the same engine (all 1.5DCI's right?) so why diddn't they make them all with as much power they can squeeze out of the 1.5 instead of giving you peanuts to play with (65bhp)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
its about what u need the car for, plodding around town u would obviously have the 65bhp, motorway or long distance driving u would have the 106bhp or 110bhp, although when i last went on a training course the clio dci 86 was perfect for 200miles at 80-90mph doing over 50mpgs

www.renparts.co.uk
why would renault choose to get such s**tty power out of the same engine (all 1.5DCI's right?) so why diddn't they make them all with as much power they can squeeze out of the 1.5 instead of giving you peanuts to play with (65bhp)

i sometimes wonder whether people have a brain tbh.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
because not everyone buys a car to horse the f**k out of it everyday? :S
so out of the 1.5 range your telling me you, purposefully would buy the slowest one? there cant be that much diff MPG wise and its always handy to have a bit more underfoot - is it not?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
why would renault choose to get such s**tty power out of the same engine (all 1.5DCI's right?) so why diddn't they make them all with as much power they can squeeze out of the 1.5 instead of giving you peanuts to play with (65bhp)

i sometimes wonder whether people have a brain tbh.

for asking a perfectly acceptable and justifiable question? - well i can't see the reason for it personally and theres no need to be arsey about it

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
because not everyone buys a car to horse the f**k out of it everyday? :S
so out of the 1.5 range your telling me you, purposefully would buy the slowest one? there cant be that much diff MPG wise and its always handy to have a bit more underfoot - is it not?

no. i am the kind of person that like to make the most of the power that i have. my mum however, does not. thus, i would get the 106, and she would get the 65.

320d
also the 80 gets the best mpg not the 65, 65 was just the cheapest model to make hence why it went in the lower models. car makers have to have better engines in higher specs to tempt you into the higher spec otherwise if you could get the 1*2 engine and setup in authentique shel for 7500 then some wouldnt pay the extra 6500ish for the 1*2 etc

not all dcis have have 35quid tax the mk3 dci106 doesnt i dont think the mk2 ph2 dci100 does either the meganes an senics do for some reason but they use a diffrent engine irc

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Tbh, I'm leaning towards the 80bhp model (or is it 86 as people have said here?).

Anyone know what this can be remapped to?

CB600FS
Just to add the DCIs tax is going down to £20 next year aswell.

Get the 65 if your purely looking for MPG, get the 80 bhp if you want a bit of poke aswell.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Insurance quotes from Adrian Flux (online not on phone)

1.4 petrol - £1489
1.5 diesel - £2625

I think it may work out cheaper for me to get a petrol car... Are these differences in quotes normal? Should sort of difference should I expect to pay?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Yeah defo. I seem to get a lot of varying results everywhere.

Am planning on phoning a few places tomorrow but not sure who would be best. I'll phone Flux for sure but I'm after someone who will be cheap and won't be trouble with small mods later on. Any suggestions?

Ps. Flux quoted me over 6 grand to insure a 172.

172 Cup (Iceberg)
GZUS that is expensive insurance. I would ring around a hell of a lot more places, have you tried direct line? Co-Op?