ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 or DCI 65 Clio ?

dCi 100
The dCi80 has a diferent turbo than dCi100/105, so you can't remap all these to the same level, with stock hardware!

And even the dCi105 has diferent injectors than the dCi100, so I'm guessing the 105 gets the medal for bhp/remap, hehe.

Regarding the dCi100 box...

It's has edde says!
The box it self is just like any other box, it takes it's pounding! There are some dCi100 remaped to about 230/50 nm (torque) and the box handles it OK.
It just needs you to get used to it when shifting! It's not a great box when it comes to town shifting, if you know what I mean...

Regarding the topic...

Between the dCi80 and 65, I'd go for the 80! But if you can't have the 80, then you can buy the 65bhp model and stick a dCi100 or 80 InterCooer and you're done! Then you have all you new for a simple remap to about 80bhp...

It's a simple enough job and there are good DIY's, like this one - http://dcioffice.net/index.php/topic,95.0.html

Cheers!

Last edited:
  MERCEDES CLS AMG
1.4 ........the K9K 704 1.5 DCi is very unreliable and when they go wrong it will set you back ££££........be warned

Meg on pistonheads £6995
^ ^ where on earth did you get that from??

NEVER heard of any 'expensive' probs with dci's on forum

mine's a peach at 54K

MERCEDES CLS AMG
I got that from running a Renault garage and selling 10 engines a week to people that have had theres blow ........ When you need one there £995 + vat - i will keep one to the side for you

t3 corolla 116bhp
i'm happier with the dci 65. drove the 1.2 and 1.4 clios b4 buying the dci and its much better in my opinion. plus its great economy and tax!! and it accelerates well and has ample torque

dCi 100
To blow up an engine ( any engine ) you have to drive it pretty roughly! But, I beleive you if you say that, Matt Black.

It's just that a lot of company cars here in Portugal are Clios (dci65 mainly) and those are driven harshly! And I never heard of any dCi engines blowing up on forum either! Broken turbos, yes! Injector problems, yes! Broken engine, nop!

The 704 (dci65) does miss out on not having an Intercooler! If you start modding the dCi65 (remap, etc etc) and pay no attention to cooling (IC), etc, it's bound to affect the engine lifetime, sure!

If you constantly ragg the crap out of an engine and don't service it properly, etc, etc it's bound to break up.

Cheers!

Last edited:
80, 100 and 106 are essentially the same altho different gearbox on 2 higher power models

BUT all three higher power models re-map to almost the same, so go for an 80 cos lower emissions (tax £35 p.a.), better economy (67 combined against 64) & lower insurance (3 instead of 5)
The 65, 80 and 100 all are £35 road fune the 105 is more.

The 80/100 and 105 don't remap to the same HP though by a fair way.

NEVER heard of any 'expensive' probs with dci's on forum

mine's a peach at 54K
Theres always good and bad ones.
To blow up an engine ( any engine ) you have to drive it pretty roughly! But, I beleive you if you say that, Matt Black.
There load of potential issues where a second hand lump becomes cheaper than a repair.

Shed.
this subject has been thecause of many arguments....

personally i would say the 1.4

Yeah. id go for the petrol, but only because of the roads i drive on when i want to have a bit of fun.

The dci though, has a lot more plus factors to it. Like mpg and the large amounts of torque.

If you can stretch get the 80 or even the 100.

Clio dci 65 Extreme
Regarding tuning a dci 65 are ECU-Remaps and ECU-Chip Tuning considered the same thing? and would doing both of these modifications collectively add up to increase the hp?

Regarding tuning a dci 65 are ECU-Remaps and ECU-Chip Tuning considered the same thing? and would doing both of these modifications collectively add up to increase the hp?

There the same thing. Its just different works for adjusting the stock ECU's maps.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
I've got a 1.4 and right now me and it are really not seeing eye to eye :(

It's doing 20-25mpg max around town, and that's driving it incredibly carefully.

If I had to get another Clio it would be a DCi but to be honest I can't see me buying another one.

Renault Clio Trophy
I drive a pair of beefy diesel vans at work (104hp VW Caddy, 137hp Transit) so bought the Trophy as a home car to be totally different, but if I only drove one vehicle, I'd just have a diesel; you just can't beat that torque.

Keep looking at the new Megane 175 diesel, and thinking "hmmm...."

DCI 80
Definitly the DCI, i went from a 1.2 to a DCI 80 a couple of months back and it's fantastic! :)

MPG never drops below 60 however hard i push it, although i always use BP Ultimate which should make a difference.

I test drove the 100 and to be honest there wasn't much in it, i felt you really had to work the 100 to make it feel any quicker.

I'll definitly be havin another diesel.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ive got a Dci 65 at the moment

The 1.4 is alot quicker, but then the costs are greater!

Mine is much quicker than 1.4s and noticably quicker than edde's 65. So I wouldn't say they're that different, you obviously haven't thrashed yours for 20,000 miles ;)

@ OP

Get ANY DCI Clio over ANY (non-RS) petrol Clio. They're much better.

And regarding MPG. (If you're reading this and have a 1.2/1.4/1.6 think how much MPG you get when thrashing the pants off it). My DCI 80 got 29.9MPG over the course of 2 Nurburgring laps. :)

It's still recovering and is at 39.7 (my daily 10 mile commute atm is stop start).

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
id put money on a 1.4 clio being faster than a dci 100.

depends on driver. there isnt alot in it though.
i remeber getting to 120mph in my 1.4 to get past dangermouse who used to be on here.

for fuel and lts of miles diesel all teh way.
if your manhood is intact and you can afford to pay for fuel then go for the fun option!!

TeZ

Non RS : (
yeha i herd lol, I can get 120 in mine well had a like twice but not keen on going fast in it ,But as you said No dci can beat a Well run in 1.416v even if it was standerd and mine ent :p

Clio DCi 65
Ive got a Dci 65 at the moment

The 1.4 is alot quicker, but then the costs are greater!

Mine is much quicker than 1.4s and noticably quicker than edde's 65. So I wouldn't say they're that different, you obviously haven't thrashed yours for 20,000 miles ;)

@ OP

Get ANY DCI Clio over ANY (non-RS) petrol Clio. They're much better.

And regarding MPG. (If you're reading this and have a 1.2/1.4/1.6 think how much MPG you get when thrashing the pants off it). My DCI 80 got 29.9MPG over the course of 2 Nurburgring laps. :)

It's still recovering and is at 39.7 (my daily 10 mile commute atm is stop start).

The DCi 65 wont beat the 1.4 16v Mk2Ph2 - The 80 would beat it but my 65 certainly wouldnt. Unless the other driver was crap!

BMW M4; S1000 RR

depends on driver. there isnt alot in it though.
i remeber getting to 120mph in my 1.4 to get past dangermouse who used to be on here.

for fuel and lts of miles diesel all teh way.
if your manhood is intact and you can afford to pay for fuel then go for the fun option!!

How much money ? I'm not a betting man, but I'd take you up on that.

My DCI can do 125 on the clock and that's limited by gearing.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
yes but whats the mid range like is it better? also arnt they heavy?

The Clio Dci's have fairly big turbos for their cubic capacity. This gives them a lot of lag, and no real low down grunt where a large diesel engine would be off(I'm talking 1-1.5k rpm), but on the flipside, it means they have a relatively high output for a 1.5 diesel.

2k to 3.5k rpm outruns any 1.6 I've come across (bar Saxo VTS') from 3.5k to 4.5k and they're on par with cars of similar power output, so it loses out a bit to a 1.6, but is equal to a 1.4. Then when you change and you're back at 3k, you'll accelerate faster for a bit, and then the same.

Heavier.... Hardly, it's not as if the Clio petrol engines are lightweight. I think the 1.5dci is actually lighter than a 1.6 according to Parkers. I can put my car on some scales if you really want though.

no they ent lol. i have 65K on my 1.416v clio and it cains DCi's

In gear and round a track sicne 100 dci and 1.4 are the sam hp the diesel will win 0-60 is about the only time the petrol will win.

yeha i herd lol, I can get 120 in mine well had a like twice but not keen on going fast in it ,But as you said No dci can beat a Well run in 1.416v even if it was standerd and mine ent :p

I woulnd't be to sure I wasn't far behind a 1.4 on a drag strip type drive upto decient speeds and mines only 65hp.

TeZ

Non RS : (
thats pap mate the driver must have been pissed,

Oh and calm the fuk down boys i dont give a fuk as usual i win as i have a massive wanger , and i dont give 2 s***s how fast i am lmao

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Everyone forgets we're talking about cars that haven't even got tripple figure power outputs. They're both slow.

But the pros and cons say get a DCI 65.

Much better on the economy side.
Not far behind when you're drag racing from the traffic lights :rolleyes:

Harry_manback said:

If we were saying "Porsche GT3 or Fabia vRS" then yes Dave, that would be a fair point. But these cars have nothing going for them in a straight line, and they're the same round the bends.

182BG
if you want to go fast don't get either, sorted!!

i would have to choose the DCI though, im looking for one as my small commute to work is costing me a bomb at the mo :(