ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 rt/ 1.8 16v

what are the differences in the body styling between these 2 cars?

from what i can tell the arches on the 1.8 seem to be wider? i might not be right?

is there anything else?(apart from the bonnet)

J

It has the flared arches and the Bonnet vent/bulge as you have said - externally im not aware of much more difference - the front bumper and a rear spoiler

for cost resons im gonna have to get an rt but i want to make look a little more like the 16v but not identicle which is why i dont want the bonnet bulge...

tell me about it!! its only coz the courts decided i was special enough to be given 6 points and my insurance renewal is soon so its gonna be sky high so ive gotta drop down for a couple of years- its a killer but thats why i atleast wanna make the rt look decent even if its not as fast as the rallye

Is the rallye not cheap insurance? What about a old AX-GT maybe. Dont know what the insurance is like on these things these days - im old so mines cheap anyway;)

trust me, when your 22 with no no-claims and 6 points on a 1.6 then insurance aint cheap!! citreon axs are some of the ugliest cars ive ever seen, staying well clear!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

RTs tend to be more reliable then valvers and probably more reliable then your old Pug. My mum has a 106 and had nothing but problems with it. I bought my RT 3 year back on 40,000 mile, its now on 96,000 mile and never broke down and Ive never had an big repair bill, love it!!! Can be made to look alrate and handle like go karts an all, just never gonna get straight line speed out em.

Thats me RT
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/newsig.jpg

Cant argue with an RT - my cousins dads used to keep up with his VTR for most of the 0-100 (which took a fair time for both).

my plan is to get an rt - change the arches to 1.8 16v arches(if possible?) drop it 50mm/60mm, i want some 15inch toora alloys, a de-cat, some ice and that should do me!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

The front arches are a straight swap I think, they can be picked up from Reno pretty cheap. The rear arches will require you to change the whole of the three quarter panel, which is an expensive job. Ive seen a few clios with just the front arches done and they look alright.

Yeah, the rear arches have to be bonded on and cutting them off a 16V or Williams would probably wreck them. The Valver also has a wider rear bumper - doesnt look much different apart from a recessed line that is lower on the bumper than on the standard models. Probably best not to go for the wide rear arches as itll cost £££... but the flipside is that anyone seeing the car from a rear angle would know it wasnt a 16V straight away.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Decats best thing you can do!!! Made mine pick up loads better and revs a lot more freely, as standard they push out 80bhp, mines got decat and full straight thro zorst, k&n and got RR at 89bhp

im after an rt too. i would keep the arches as standard as the change to 16v ones isnt worth it after all the money spent. some nice 15s a 60mm drop and a single round 3.5" back box will do just nicely

Quote: Originally posted by phil6180 on 11 January 2004

So You can afford to do all these mods but you cant afford a couple hundred more notes for insurance???
all these mods will come from the money i get from selling the Rallye- its not just the insurance increase that is making me want to sell her, its the insurance, tax, running costs, petrol and mainly the fact that with already having 6 points i dont want to risk getting anymore. I know going for a slower car doosnt eliminate the risk of being caught speeding etc but is lessons the risk and removes some of the temptation, plus its also a cost cutting exercise- so if im going for a slower car i atleast want it to look nice......

Im in the middle of selling my old RT, Mreg only 53k.

Have you sold you 106 Rallye? I might know someone interested. Let me know. email rjroff@yahoo.co.uk .

Cheers

Rich

not sold the rallye yet mate, just prepping it so everything is 100%

give your mate my email address if hes interested or wants some pics/details mailto:pugme106@yahoo.co.uk">pugme106@yahoo.co.uk

think im gonna go for a Maxim for the few slight differences between that an a Rt

anyone selling a Maxim? lol

It has the closer ratio rsi gearbox and more sporty appearance hense the jump in insurance groups - IMHO get a 1.4rt mk1 ph2 M/N Reg.

Golf GTTDI 130PD

I have a phase 3 maxim and she pretty good. Close ratio gear box and bigger bumpers slightly.

Nice seats and Sunroof but not elec like RSi.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Phases 3s have girly front headlights, the bumpers are pretty much the same bar the fog lights are rounder. The Maxim also has valver interior IIRC.

so i take it your saying stay away from the phase 3 then? lol

fair enough, gonna go and have a look at a few this weekend so i know what im talking about a bit more - just a shame i cant find a 16v with a shagged engine so i can just drop a 1.4 in it and then change the bonnett! lol