ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 bottom end

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
What sort of rev's can the 1.6 bottom end take safely?

Talking about a Mk2 Ph2... If i was to get new cams + map, how high could i get it revving?

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
that's standard is it?

the renaultsport's rev limiter can be upped a fair bit, i heard somewhere around the 8k mark max?

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
The guys from Catcams told me it´s possible up to 7,200rpm with the OEM valve springs. I personally go up to 7,000 that´s enough with the peak power actually at 5,990rpm....

M

mini-valver

The standard pistons are the worst part TBH. I'm having the limiter set at around 7.5 which is probably about as much as I'd dare to go. My engine will make power higher up the rev range so having a higher limiter is beneficial to me.

M

mini-valver

They're just weak apparantly. I'm just going by what BenR has said as I wanted to rev the balls off it :D

Clio 1.6L 16V
I have a question, if you put new cams you also have to increase the compression??, because you're increasing the overlap with the new cams, cheers.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
I have a question, if you put new cams you also have to increase the compression??, because you're increasing the overlap with the new cams, cheers.

Would be helpfull for better idling behaviour and also filling at high revs. I have catcams´ stage 3 and still OEM comp ratio, works also fine, but will not use the full potential of the cams.

@mini-valver

What pistons do you use? Woessner?

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
so if new cams are fitted, and mapped to rev to 7k, with head skim for better compression ratio, all would be sweet?

For a track car obv :)

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
Should be O.K., but check if there is enough clearance between valves and piston if you skim the head.

Do you have the factory exhaust collector with pre-catalyst? If yes, remove it and replace by a sport exhaust manifold, there is one availible from Supersrint, but it´s also possible to modify a 172-Manifold by welding a K4M specific flange plate to it.
I did this for my MéganeII...

k4m_rs_fertig_1.jpg

k4m_rs_fertig_4.jpg

Normally the are easy and pretty cheap to get, because many 172 owners install the 182 manifold...

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Riiiiight :)

I'd be wanting full exhaust anywho so that's no probs.

Cable throttle conv. hard to do??

Clio 1.6L 16V
If you don't have money for new piston, you can do a head skim to increase the CR and you'll be going ok. Nobody here had skim the head of the K4M engine??, cheers.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
I don´t know what is the maximum compression ratio what you can reach by skimming the head when you have a K4M-engine, but with pistons you can got up to 12:1 or even higher...

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
Should be O.K., but check if there is enough clearance between valves and piston if you skim the head.

Do you have the factory exhaust collector with pre-catalyst? If yes, remove it and replace by a sport exhaust manifold, there is one availible from Supersrint, but it´s also possible to modify a 172-Manifold by welding a K4M specific flange plate to it.
I did this for my MéganeII...

k4m_rs_fertig_1.jpg

k4m_rs_fertig_4.jpg

Normally the are easy and pretty cheap to get, because many 172 owners install the 182 manifold...

I know this is an old thread, but anywayz;
Regarding the modified 172 exhaust manifold, where did you put the O2 sensor? I have a megane1 1.6_16v K4M and i'd like to do the same thing.
Thanks.