ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 Dynamique - Three Queries - Engine/Brakes

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Hi Guys,

Three small minor glitches with my Clio which has now just reached 36k.
I bought it with just 18k on the clock, so it's done the next 18k in a lot shorter space of time over the last 9 months or so. It’s a 2003 plate 1.6 16v.

Thoroughly impressed with it as a car, and has pretty much decided my next to be a Ph2 172 I think. Never had any problems with it, just the below minor potential issues which I don't want developing into costly problems, so want to troubleshoot them now.

1 - Whenever I release the brakes, usually from a stopped position, or in 1st or 2nd gear, they squeak quite loudly on the release as the pads are pulling off the discs, or at least that’s what I think it is, really doesn't sound like it’s the drums at the back.
What is this, and is it a good enough reason to replace discs + pads? Other than that, breaking isn't affected in anyway at all.

2 - Where we live, we have quite a tight driveway, and for my dad to get his Focus out, he'll have to move my car onto the road outside the house usually on weekends etc... Often, x hours later I'll come to start mine, and it will start fine first time, but then dive right down to below 1k revs and sit idle before almost cutting out, and in fact on just the 2 occasions I think it has died out, and all I've had to do is restart the engine.
I found a good way of getting round this is to just push the accelerator to the floor before starting for around 2/3 seconds which I believe clears any left over petrol in the injectors, or similar? It seems to work anyway, but what's my long term solution? Is it just what’s known as a 'flooded engine'?

3 - The third I've now forgotten tbh, so can't have been that major! However I'll ask a question instead:

Do any of you put the clutch down when starting your cars?
Apparently it lessens the wear on the clutch plates when starting the engine, however I have no idea how true this is and wondered if it's a done trend?

Thanks,

Pete.

Edit: Ahhh - That was it; The timing belt makes like a dashing sound as it goes round, hard to explain but similar to a tiny squeak when first started too.
I've bought some Cambelt/Timing belt lubricant, just want to know which belts to apply this too as if they're not teethed, I understand you can risk them slipping?
So obviously wanna check this one before going ahead with applying it...

Cheers :)

1 - Whenever I release the brakes, usually from a stopped position, or in 1st or 2nd gear, they squeak quite loudly on the release as the pads are pulling off the discs, or at least that’s what I think it is, really doesn't sound like it’s the drums at the back.
What is this, and is it a good enough reason to replace discs + pads? Other than that, breaking isn't affected in anyway at all.

2 - Where we live, we have quite a tight driveway, and for my dad to get his Focus out, he'll have to move my car onto the road outside the house usually on weekends etc... Often, x hours later I'll come to start mine, and it will start fine first time, but then dive right down to below 1k revs and sit idle before almost cutting out, and in fact on just the 2 occasions I think it has died out, and all I've had to do is restart the engine.
I found a good way of getting round this is to just push the accelerator to the floor before starting for around 2/3 seconds which I believe clears any left over petrol in the injectors, or similar? It seems to work anyway, but what's my long term solution? Is it just what’s known as a 'flooded engine'?

Do any of you put the clutch down when starting your cars?
Apparently it lessens the wear on the clutch plates when starting the engine, however I have no idea how true this is and wondered if it's a done trend?

Edit: Ahhh - That was it; The timing belt makes like a dashing sound as it goes round, hard to explain but similar to a tiny squeak when first started too.
I've bought some Cambelt/Timing belt lubricant, just want to know which belts to apply this too as if they're not teethed, I understand you can risk them slipping?
So obviously wanna check this one before going ahead with applying it...

Check the brakes pads might well be worn.

Won't be rear drums they don't wear at all 60k easy out of them 100k more likly.

Its not good doing this starting for short movment in your car. Thats your problem realy your uusing the accelerator isn't doing the engine any good. Yopu've not flooded it else it realy would need a boot to start it.

Yep clutch down is a good idea its not only good driving practive incase you've left it in gear but it does lessen the load on the starter as it not having to turn the gearbox round as well. But its mianly good practive start in neutral with foot down on clutch.

Most likly its your tensioners which are making the noise or the belts get them checked under warently if youy have it.

M

mini-valver

Mine used to do the starting thing, it's stopped since running on BP ultimate. Hghly recomend it, any other fuel makes it run like a dog....

Cheers edde + mini-valver.

The short start thing isn't really the problem now.

Just generally speaking when I start the car 9/10, it will dive right back down to below 1k revs and become almost idle, but not cut out despite sounding like it will.

Only time it doesn't really do it is first thing in the morning in which it sounds nice and lively, as any petrol should once first started.

Is this a concern? [Asin other than that it's fine engine wise, no other quarms]
Do I need my timing belts adjusted?
Is it something in the engine management?

Thanks,

Pete.

RB 200 Cup!
i got the squeaking on mine - changed pads and probs gone

mine usually idels at 500 rpm other times 1k - not a concern as ive been told its okay by my mate whos a master reno tech

Mercedes C Class Sport
When i start my car it goes below 1000k and it feels like its stalled although its just really quiet!

mine usually idels at 500 rpm other times 1k - not a concern as ive been told its okay by my mate whos a master reno tech

Looks like I need new pads then! I thought it was the pedal squeaking.
Mine idles at 1k when cold and is abit lumpy, but it soon settles down to 500rpm, sweet as a nut.

How many miles has your 1.6 done if you don't mind me asking mate?

Mines just short of 36k.
I bought it with just 16800 on. I've done the difference in just over 9 months, and that’s mostly motorway miles, i.e. between 60-80mph etc...
So it's definitely not a result of "hammering" and seems a characteristic of the KT4 engine?

Thanks,

Pete.