ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 to a DCI 80

Is it going to be worth the sideways step, the diesel is going to return a greater MPG, fuel prices are similar but there's the lack of power and the stigma attached with driving a diesel.

Thoughts peoples?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Dci 80 remapped is quicker than the 100dci and 1.6 handles better than the 1.6 too

LY R27
i ran a dci 80 dynamic once, i really didn't want to like it but it would show up similar engined petrol cars, the torque was alot of fun. and as said, get it remapped and it will be quicker. ;)

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Whats most bhp on both cars with engine mods?... Would it be the diesel? & at what bhp?.

Clio 182
Definately get the DCI 80. The torque is great fun. I've had mine a year now and I still go for pointless drives because I love the torque.
And I think they've got a stiffer anti-roll bar than the petrol non-sports which I assume is why someone mentioned they handled better.

I looked at DCis last year to replace a 1.2 16v (was looking for a DCi100 but just couldn't find one), test drove a DCi80 and wasn't impressed. I was hoping for a "small car high torque" effortless kind of drive but it wasn't like that, it didn't feel very responsive either. You could tell it was quicker than the 1.2 but it would definitnely need a remap to try and keep with a 1.6.

I think it's possibly one of those cars where the performance is a little overated, bit like the 306TDs were in the 90s.

Are you doing it to save money? if so i would say pretty pointless

The equivalent diesel will cost more, and you probably just end up wanting to map it and throw more money at it (although the tax is a bargain)

The 1.6 is a great car and personally i cant see the point.

Looking at saving money is the main point in switching tbh.

£35 a year in tax, comparable pricing for fuel and more MPG which is always a bonus. I think I'll test drive the one I've seen first and see how I feel about it.

I think to save money it would work, the DCis will have almost 50% better fuel economy over a 1.6, apparently 65/70mpg can be seen on a run, plus £35 tax which is probably less that a 1/4 of the 1.6 so running costs would be minimal IMO.

Well half year for the 1.6 is £82.50 so theres nearly £130 a year just in tax and as you say MPG is high 50's compared to the low 40's I'm currently getting.

alien green rs133
Well half year for the 1.6 is £82.50 so theres nearly £130 a year just in tax and as you say MPG is high 50's compared to the low 40's I'm currently getting.

ohh i see you actually get a decent mpg :eek:

mines sucks

14... the happy pedal is sooooo tempting :cool:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive never driven an 80 but as you know ive got a 100 and my mrs has a 1.6 16v dynamique

ragging about flat out redlining everywhere the 1.6 16v is faster (just) untill about 70/80mph

the dci100 has so much overtaking torque for such a small car, diesels are never quick at accelerating but get the 100 into 3rd,4th and 5th and it pulls really hard.

my honest opinion would be ignore all these people that say the 100 has a "dodgey" box, take a test drive in one, your free to have a go in mine if you like take a good around town test drive to get used to the box, i drove mine and instantly thought no no no but 30 minutes later i loved the box.

standard for standard the 100 handled slightly better than the 1.6 16v, you can feel the bit more weight over the steering. think it has slightly thicker ARB's too

MCS R56
Is it going to be worth the sideways step, the diesel is going to return a greater MPG, fuel prices are similar but there's the lack of power and the stigma attached with driving a diesel.

Thoughts peoples?

Be your own man and drive what you want, dude! Diesels are not to be sniffed at, as people are never too sure what they are running. As they can be cheaply modded with large increases, they can be stealthy weapons.

You should be able to get an 80 mapped to around 100bhp with a healthy increase in torque which will make it feel a lot quicker than the 1.6. I would also guess it would actually be quicker than a 1.6, if not off the line then in-gear, where it matters.

Can you tell I have a diesel? You can also cover people with smoke when they are behind you, which was nice!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Can you tell I have a diesel? You can also cover people with smoke when they are behind you, which was nice!

this is a pass time i have recently found, its fun lol 2nd gear comes on boost and boom black smoke everywhere lol

as for MPG my mrs is averaging 35mpg from her 1.6 16v (surely thats broken lol she drives like an angel)

i give mine hard hard running late every day flat out driving to airdrie and back and average 52mpg, if i take it easy i average 60's easy my 65 was better for mpg however and it runs the same/similar smaller turbo to the 80

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
looking at prices i could sell mine for more than i paid for it 6 months ago and 10k miles later!!

they hold their money but awesome MPG, £35 a year road tax, cheap to insure, good fun to drive, you cant really get much better

they do lack the off boost torque of the VAG 1.9 diesels etc but they are very refined and fine once you get them on boost at 1.5k

Clio 182
looking at prices i could sell mine for more than i paid for it 6 months ago and 10k miles later!!

Mine's worth more than I paid for it a year ago and 10k miles later too.

You pay more for a Dci but you loose less in depreciation. In the current climate they are making money.