ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.8 16v - 2.0 16v Difference??

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
exhaust manifolds are different, and look for engine number on block!

F7R = 2.0
F7P = 1.8

and drive it if poss! 2.0 will pull from 2k instead of 4k and if on standard limiter, will rev to 6400rpm

ive got a 2litre hybrid apparently and i just started believing it was only a 1.8, i was basically equal with my mates valver upto topend until i started going past him but his only has a back box where as mine has full system, decat, supersprint and a viper. could it be something to do with the filter and the valver gearbox? transmission loss or something? mine does usually limit at 6.4k, not sure on my mates but it seems to go a bit longer...
Not checked the codes, where abouts are they?

front on engine block, nearside, near the gearbox bellhousing, silver stamped plate. Under the inlet manifold.

ok ill check that but if it is a 2litre then shouldnt i be doing better than that against a standard valver or is something wrong? im using a valver gearbox which is on its way out so could tht be a problem?

it was up hill, he was infront though but i didnt get to his side until half way, did have to slow for traffic tho then accelerate again. coming down though there was a pretty big gap, still not convinced til i see proof lol

wot by wiping me clean lol, yours will just fly past me anyway winston, ill have a look at the code when i go out tonight, if its a 1.8 can i goto trading standards as it was declared as 2litre when glenn sold it me.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
Williams has oil cooler (some 16v's have these too), spot on top of dipstick and lower rev limit.

Also different starter motor.

the dipstick would have a white dot on it, a valver came either with black or blue on the top. Its to do with the sumps.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
lol Should be easy to tell if it's a 2.0 floor it at 3k... if it goes nowhere you got 1.8:clown:

well i had another go with him tonight, i had passenger in he didnt and we sat on the motorway at 60 and floored it in 5th side by side, when i reached 80 i was off like a rocket he was no where. thats certainly not a gain from a manifold.
I also put my passenger in his car and did it up a hill and i was behind him and went past him like he was stood still.
Yet if i had a passenger n he didnt then we were rather equal lower down until i got to top end. but i believe the viper ik has taken away my bottom end power because before it pulled better from low revs now it seems to struggle alot.
I had a look but couldnt find the f7r or f7p stamp.
If i have a 1.8 can i do anything with trading standards as the car was advertised as a 2litre and bought under the impression of it being a 2litre!
I also noticed a difference on the engine, i have a socket for a plug but theres no plug anywhere and on my mates valver theres a plug in it and the wiring around it is different.

oh it used to belong to glennclio 16v on the old forum, aparently conversion was done at torsion tuning. does anyone know this?
Cheers all your being a great help. thanks :D

Yes it was done at torsion tuning and AFAIK glenn was a good member of CS so not likely to rip you off or have been ripped off.

Sounds to me like your mate has a fairly quick valver and is a good at handling it wheras you have a 2ltr thats weighed down with 3 ton of leather! Basically, you were racing flat out so your 2ltr torque isn't going to make much difference as the valver will nearly always be in its powerband and has a higher limiter. Also, whose to say it hasn't been 'tweaked' by one of its previous owners in some way...?

if your gearbox is on the way out it will affect the performance as well, i would place the blame on that.

also williams is only quicker after 60mph

lol the 1800valver is white! ya guna make sum comment about it being fast cos its white? LOL
The gearbox is knackered it doesnt stay in 2nd and crunches in some gears. im going to get a williams box from renault i think, have some trouble free milage!
Going to take the viper off today aswell and put the airbox on with ITG panel filter, like i said was loads quicker then! thought vipers were meant to be better not slower lol. when i added the supersprint tho i noticed to power hike but i noticed it drop with the viper so really i shud be fine with airbox back on and defo wi gearbox!
Could it be anything to do with having a battaery from a 1.2?
the white valver used to belong to daz16v off here. its a new engine not the original, has a pipercross panel filter and ktec cat back exhaust but when my mate went in it he says it didnt feel as quick as what mine did and my interior does weigh up to about 3 cows lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
yeah white cars are faster!! hehe!

just kidding, but i wasnt sure if it might have been my old 16v or something! as it was up for sale a couple of months back i noticed. was 170odd bhp!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
Plattsy said:
Going to take the viper off today aswell and put the airbox on with ITG panel filter, like i said was loads quicker then! thought vipers were meant to be better not slower lol.

Why do you think I sold the Viper to you? The adaptor is the problem, it restricts the airflow into the throttle body.

lol thanks, im taking it off it is far far far worse lol.

I think if i sort out the following then ill be fine!
Original airbox with ITG back on,
New battery that isnt flat that is meant for my car and not a 1.2!
A williams gearbox! new one! since i read that a 162bhp valver produced the same power at the wheels as the standard 150bhp williams!

Think ill be fine now ill sleep well lol

Audi TT 225 Quattro
James Clio 16v said:
Why do you think I sold the Viper to you? The adaptor is the problem, it restricts the airflow into the throttle body.

i was thinking that aswell, ive got a jr adaptor being fitted to mine which is an oval shape into a big circle, as i thought the k-tec adaptor was a load of s**t. is the adaptor def the problem??

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
I did put a feed on the Viper from the standard air intake and it was a lot better, but due to the size of the filter and the route the tubing had to take, the tubing just ended up splitting.

It wasn't too bad on the open road, but I was commuting into London a lot when I had it on and sitting in traffic did it no favours whatsoever.

Adaptor is definately one of the main problems, it's far too restrictive, K-Tec could have designed something a lot better imo.

well im filling myself with confidence about it being a williams engine now. i raced my mate in his megane 225 hes had it chipped and he claims a massive 270bhp lol. i was on his arse upto 4th then he started to pull away slowly! i also raced my mate again n he was quite far behind in his white valver! she was running very sweet tonight tho, hittin 130 in places i usually hit 120! and thats just by putting standard airbox with ITG back on and her being warmed up!

Got a battery from gsf but didnt realise til i got home that it was the same as the one id got, the wrong one so thats another trek for me tomorrow lol. hopefully that will be better for her.

Plattsy said:
well im filling myself with confidence about it being a williams engine now. i... am a very naughty boy but it does now feel faster.

Got a battery from gsf but didnt realise til i got home that it was the same as the one id got, the wrong one so thats another trek for me tomorrow lol. hopefully that will be better for her.

;)

PMSL!!

Havent been on here for a while but had to come have a read of this thread when a friend sent me the link!! :D

Craig i can abso-fncking-lutely 110% gaurantee that its an F7R!! lol :)

I wish I had the balls to sell a 1.8 valver as a 2.0 hybrid!! lol :p

I think the fact you went from driving a 1.4 clio to the willy is what would have cast your doubts - because believe me if you had been driving a valver regularly and then moved on to the willy you really really really would notice the difference still!!! ;)

Besides the rolling road print out shows the willy torque curve and bhp! :)

And in the service book theres contact details for Torsion Tuning with the servce they did when they carried out the conversion! If you call them Jon or Dave will still have all the paperwork on record and will confirm everything for you! :)

The car is still registered as a 1.8 with the DVLA but any hybrid owner on here will tell you the same and thats for obvious reasons as im sure your well aware!! ;) lol

Sounds like youve been enjoying it anyway fella! Some good scalps!

Lastly id just like to say a quick thankyou to those who backed me up in my absence! :)