ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% standard cars

I've been driving modified clio's for 6 years now. Firstly my 1.4 16v, then my Ph1 172, and up until now my 182.

Over the last month I've returned the 182 back to standard, removing all modifications. I'll be honest and say I'm enjoying it more now then ever before! Taking the exhaust and breathing mods off has made no difference to the performance at all... and I'm really enjoying the car for what it is.

Its strange. I think it's a mental thing knowing that the car's completely standard, I'm loving it! I don't think there are many people in the club who still have a standard car. Each to their own and all that, but I've done the whole modification thing now. Would I do it again? Nope.

Modifications, overrated?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I know what you're saying completely, Dan

My next car will be almost standard. I've totally grown out of modifying now.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
My 182 was standard for a long while, loved it coming from a fairly modified motor.

Altho anything ive doen since hasnt really been "mad".

In some ways i prefer it, no worries just get in and drive :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
I think I'd buy a faster/better car rather than add performance mods to mine, so yeah I'd agree. The only modifications I've made are aesthetic ones and to be honest I'm starting to regret spending money on those, should have put the money towards a new car instead.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No. Mod's that ruin the car to gain power are pisch. Mod's that Enhance the car are brill. Wheels, Coils to a sensible height and dampin. Zorst that isn't loud and intrusive. Remap that smooths the power curve. All enhance the drivabilty and looks.

Can't think of anything more boring than a std car tbh! But then again there are so many ruined and poorly mod'd ones out there..>So fine line really.

Swift Sport
Only thing I wouldn't do again is get a loud exhaust, too annoying on long journeys imo lol!

audi a6 3.0tdi
i've never changed the looks of my cars ever i just don't see the point of spending money on it. If it doesn't make it faster i don't do it. I do love my standard vectra lol

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I prefer my 172 with the mods on atm.

Although i have kept all of my OEM parts, so i could quite easily return it back to standard one day if i wanted to.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I think as standard that the 1*2's are great cars, but there's nothing wrong with improving everything. Most people buy cheap coilovers to just lower their cars, throw on an exhaust, decat and remap and think it's tuned. In reality all this does it make it marginally quicker, a lot louder, a lot harsher to drive and yes, worse.

As AR says, do it properly and it's rewarding, but it wont be cheap and whether or not it is worth it is very subjective. If you enjoy it then yes, it's worth every penny.

Agree with AR to the letter. Sensible enhancements that really make a real beneficial change for a reasonable price are the way forward. The changes I have made to my car have made it much nicer to get into and drive, whilst still being comfortable and refined. I could never live with a straight decat/completely decked coils/apex springs as it takes away that day to day comfort that I quite like from time to time, especially with the miles I do.

I think as standard that the 1*2's are great cars, but there's nothing wrong with improving everything. Most people buy cheap coilovers to just lower their cars, throw on an exhaust, decat and remap and think it's tuned. In reality all this does it make it marginally quicker, a lot louder, a lot harsher to drive and yes, worse.

As AR says, do it properly and it's rewarding, but it wont be cheap and whether or not it is worth it is very subjective. If you enjoy it then yes, it's worth every penny.

^^ Spot on imo. People do seem to have a tendency to buy coilies and slam it -60mm+, ideal for a smooth track, but 95% of the cars on here will never see a track and instead they get torrid, hard as nails handling/driving.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Rich's bg 182 made me love standard/un modified cars... Unmolested...
IMG_3675.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm currently putting mine back to standard as it was slightly tatty.

Looks 100x better, with even £200 spent on it!

^^ Spot on imo. People do seem to have a tendency to buy coilies and slam it -60mm+, ideal for a smooth track, but 95% of the cars on here will never see a track and instead they get torrid, hard as nails handling/driving.

Don't get me wrong, all of my car's have been modified 'properly' using top quality parts. Many older members will remember my old 172, and whats been done to the 182 in the past... and I think they'll all agree I'm not one to bold cheap bits to my cars overnight. Saying that they weren't modified heavily, just the essentials like suspension, exhaust, induction, remap etc.

I'm not against modifying, far from it. Its just a refreshing change after years to be driving round in a standard car.

I knew this would generate a good debate, that was the intention :)

rps13
It's weird, sometimes I really love having a modified car, then other times I hate it.

lowered cars are definatly less confidence inspiring on bumpy roads

yer i know what you mean but you cant say my rep doesnt look better than a standard 1.2

I'm sure it does mate, but people in your position will sometimes end up feeling like this fella (below), especially if you have a change of heart and start looking at new cars, but at the end of the day is subjective: each to their own etc. :)

The only modifications I've made are aesthetic ones and to be honest I'm starting to regret spending money on those, should have put the money towards a new car instead.

edit:
lowered cars are definatly less confidence inspiring on bumpy roads

unless you have proper damping or it isn't lowered by a meter lol.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I knew this would generate a good debate, that was the intention :)

Thread win! Makes a change from the usual drivel to be honest. It's one of those pesonal things as to which way people swing, personally I like standard cars as well as modded, I just think that any car you buy can be improved. There is however no point spending a load of money on power if you cant put it down, or there's little point to spending money on expensive coilovers if you never track the thing and want to go low. Each to their own really, as long as you enjoy the car if doesn't matter if it's standard or otherwise.

**unless however it's some airfix stick on bodykit, as they just scream boy racer and you know it's going to be slow as hell**

rps13
I have much more confidence on bumpy roads, now my car is lowered on H&R's, over the standard set-up.

my cheap apex springs make every corner absolutely terrifying!

would you say the car is more fun though, more chuckable?

my cheap apex springs make every corner absolutely terrifying!

would you say the car is more fun though, more chuckable?

no, apex's are horrible imo. Jamesstone ran them for about 2 weeks before he got his coils back, they really were unbearable! The car skipped everywhere on bumps and was a really handful on anything but new perfect tarmac!

rps13
Yeah, I meant more chuckable with h&r's.

my apex springs are a classic example of a car being more fun/relaxed to drive when it was standard.

Another thing about the standard cars is that there are universal aspects everyone hates - take the seats for instance, for a car that can corner and handle so well out of the box they really are awful, you find yourself struggling for grip in front of the wheel - never mind the car on the road!

The desire to preserve the OEM look when upgrading is why parts such as Turinis are so desired, yes its hardly an original idea, but its still Renault/OEM esq, hence it is so popular.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I meant more chuckable with h&r's.

my apex springs are a classic example of a car being more fun/relaxed to drive when it was standard.

All show, no go ;)

Another thing about the standard cars is that there are universal aspects everyone hates - take the seats for instance, for a car that can corner and handle so well out of the box they really are awful, you find yourself struggling for grip in front of the wheel - never mind the car on the road!

The desire to preserve the OEM look when upgrading is why parts such as Turinis are so desired, yes its hardly an original idea, but its still Renault/OEM esq, hence it is so popular.

I agree about the seats, and the wheels.

My old 172 is a good example. I tried 4 different springs on that, and with the Eibach Pro's it was hugely enjoyable on track and on backroads. However before selling it when it had standard suspension, it was equally as enjoyable but for different reasons. The character of the car changed a lot between standard and modified, and both had their own advantages in different scenarios.

I would love to drive a completely stock 182 again (no remp, nothing at all!) as its been so long since mine was completely standard. Would love to see how my car and it would compare - any offers? You can have a go in mine :cool:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Depends on the car. I wouldn't have a standard 1*2, but I wouldn't do anything to a Trophy.

Audi S1
I wish mine was standard tbh...but would now cost me more money to do so! probably £400 only got wheels and exhaust..

Off topic but whats the usual price for a 172 standard exhaust? - I made the stupid mistake of getting rid of it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I havent yet moved away from my first car (been a student for a long time) but i have found myself modifying the car to get it back to a more standard look, although still modified (when i started at 17 i went to outlandish with 17" wheels etc). I think if done properly that modifying a car will almost always improve it, unless it is the absolute top spec from factory.

For example, my mk2 ph1 now has a colour coded dynamic spoiler and i dont think there is anyone that thinks the old ph1 thing looks better, but would you call this modifying? Another example would be buying a full sport interior and putting it in a non sport, i dont think there is anyone that wouldnt say thats not an improvement, but is that a modification or just an upgrade?

it's an interesting subject and tend to agree with the age comment. i fiddled with my first car endlessly throughout my late teens/early twenties, and vowed never to do it again - it's a lad's hobby, but it's such a waste of money. since, have only gone for good 'out of the box' cars, but have spent a little on sensible mods on each - no car's perfect and any will benefit from certain mods for certain uses (eg. occasional track outings, etc)

top of the list of things to leave alone is definitely the suspension imo. what's wrong with it?!

Nissan 350z
I am not one to mod things, I will just replace things on my 172 when they break, might mean upgraded stuff instead of a straight replacement though.