ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% standard cars

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Also, the older you get, the more cash you tend to spend on cars. I'd be much less inclined to jeopardise the warranty on a 20k+ car.

top of the list of things to leave alone is definitely the suspension imo. what's wrong with it?!

No one said there is anything wrong with it! However I fitted reputable coils with a sensible right height and good damping and the difference truly is night and day in every aspect, even from a cup packed car.

Also, the older you get, the more cash you tend to spend on cars. I'd be much less inclined to jeopardise the warranty on a 20k+ car.

Agreed, not worth the risk on something that is so new and may not have developed that fatal fault Renault never saw coming!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Another thing about the standard cars is that there are universal aspects everyone hates - take the seats for instance, for a car that can corner and handle so well out of the box they really are awful, you find yourself struggling for grip in front of the wheel - never mind the car on the road!

It's very hard to make a seat that suits/fits everyone perfectly though. Personally although
not the best seat I've sat in I don't really have any issues with them.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
My first two clios were completely standard. No point in modding a 1.4 TBH. My 172 has a KTEC stealth which was fitted by last owner. Just Ferodo pads to be fitted and a set of springs and that'll probably be it for this year.

Unsure if to mod towards a track toy, or just buy an elise/exige/caterham in a few years.

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
ive always been into doing big mods on all my cars and i now look back a think why did i do that all that money i spent could of been a deposit on my own place. but i think its a thing that has to be done atleast once when your young or your only do it when your older. i sold my 172 after spending 9 grand on it roughly and bought my self a nice beemer that has the big 18 inch wheels and sports suspension and a nice bit of poke so i dont need to do anything to it and the first thing my mates said when they say was when you putting a big exhaust on it!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's very hard to make a seat that suits/fits everyone perfectly though. Personally although
not the best seat I've sat in I don't really have any issues with them.
I don't have an issue with the seats, perfectly good. It's the high driving position thats the issue for me.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Maybe thats it Ali. Growing up FTL :(

As i said it's a fine line. What you did to yours was hardly mod'in...I'd class them as enhancing...I liked the badges and zorst. wasn't aware you'd done anything else. Other than some front end mod's ;)

I would never go down the cams/TB's/ Roll cage/ lightenin route. I see little point. I'd also not go decat due to MOT and as warren says above i'm hesitent to do anything to mine as it may invalidate the warrenty...(At the moment it's spending more time getting fixed than i do driving it) :(

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As i said it's a fine line. What you did to yours was hardly mod'in...I'd class them as enhancing...I liked the badges and zorst. wasn't aware you'd done anything else. Other than some front end mod's ;)

I would never go down the cams/TB's/ Roll cage/ lightenin route. I see little point. I'd also not go decat due to MOT and as warren says above i'm hesitent to do anything to mine as it may invalidate the warrenty...(At the moment it's spending more time getting fixed than i do driving it) :(
Thats because you bought a car with ITB's anyway;). I wouldn't go down the ITB route either, but I am considering the Icarus inlet mod. From what I've heard everyday driveability won't be altered, but I will get a decent power hike.

Thats because you bought a car with ITB's anyway;). I wouldn't go down the ITB route either, but I am considering the Icarus inlet mod. From what I've heard everyday driveability won't be altered, but I will get a decent power hike.

+ if needs be it can go straight back to standard as nothing is chopped about!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The more i did to my 1st 172 the better it looked. On a blast it was fast. But to drive day in day out i lost alot of the passion for it.

Now a days i usually think. Eibacs, recaro's, DONE. Maybe an exhaust if it's rottle.

very intresting topic! i think it depends on the car and the mod.

i think if you can get bits (ideally OE) that that improve a car and you can afford it, then do it.

most car mods are probably pointless, but what ever makes someone happy is the most important thing!

Ph1
I went back to stock alloys on the ph1 from Speedline 2118's and its been one of the best performance mods iv done!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I ony mod things to save money lol
New wheels = half price tyres
Exchaust= Cos standard ones fal off.

Clio MK 4
i always like changing the car from standard as i like my car to be unique. having a 1*2 is quite rare around where i live so standard wouldnt b too bad but i would hate to have a standard focus or something. i would have to change the styling slightly. my opinion of course

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think the reason modifying there Clios is because some of the standard components are absolutley b****cks.

Example, the exhaust fell off mine at a meet hence the reason i got a Super Sport from K-tec.

This coupled with the fact that replacement parts from Renault are a f**king mis-belief considering there made so poorly as young Paul found out from the £1800 bill for a 182 exhaust

s1 williams/106gti
my williams is factory.just sold the 106 which was stripped,cat cammed,open filtered,mapped with a custom straight through.i do miss the 106 cos it was raw but i dont think i would ruin the williams doing it.some cars are better modified [my s1 rst was crap standard]

Yeah the 182 only had zaust, filter and carbon wotsit removed (front end aero mods are now put back to standard too ;))... the 172 had a few more bits done. I dont count painting badges as mods. Its not how many or what the mods are though, its the hassle-free feeling you get from driving a standard car. Insurance was only one small annoyance once a year, but it satisfying for me to say "no modifications" when they ask.

I guess the novelty of modding has just worn off for me, thats all. Having said that there's some cracking cars on here which are a great example of how to do it, if thats what you want to do.

For my next car I want a completely standard 172, albeit Renaultsport badges removed. I just like how it looks normal and would give people a shock when trying to 'race' you ;)

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Mods wise, I only have a stealth stainless (Cheaper and better than OE), Eibach Sportline springs (No lower or stiffer than standard) and a K+N (Free)

Otherwise, totally standard. I neither have the time or money to waste, eeking out the tiniest increases in BHP or torque for sod-all real-world gain.

If I found myself flush, I'd supercharge it for some real low-down, dirty, in-gear shove.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I think the reason modifying there Clios is because some of the standard components are absolutley b****cks.

Example, the exhaust fell off mine at a meet hence the reason i got a Super Sport from K-tec.

This coupled with the fact that replacement parts from Renault are a f**king mis-belief considering there made so poorly as young Paul found out from the £1800 bill for a 182 exhaust

I was quite happy with my standard exhaust, until the backbox fell off. Now got a ktec stealth.

while obviously i can appreciate why ppl keep there cars standard, i think that renault has manufactered the cars with compromises in mind to appeal to a broader market, which i totally agree with.

however if i see an area i feel i can "improve" that will enhance my enjoyment of the car then i'll go for it. i see it as personalising the car to my needs/they way i drive/use it etc rather than modifying. i will be keeping it for a long time so theres no worries about resale etc (touch wood LOL)

at the end of the day its each to their own.... i just wish i had done my research first and done things in the correct order i could have saved myself alot of money....live and learn

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
I prefer to keep cars standard/original now. The first two cars I owned took the brunt of my modifying craze, but now i've grown out of it (especially after buying a bike).

Still appreciate seeing a nicely modified car though!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I prefer to keep cars standard/original now. The first two cars I owned took the brunt of my modifying craze, but now i've grown out of it (especially after buying a bike).

Still appreciate seeing a nicely modified car though!

Standard car + bike = awesome.

Modified car = meh.

I have seen the light.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Bike's aren't exactly safe, thats before you even consider all the people on the roads that cant drive. It's very subjective, some people just cant get their head round the idea that someone would spend money they will never see again on a car. I almost agree, but a car is never an investment (okay, exceptional circumstances aside), but neither is 20 pints on a weekend, it's fun :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its like mine. I started with a standard Cup, then started modding. Exhaust fell off, so replaced it with a decatted Magnex (back in the day ;)) Then lowered it on Gaz, but learnt my lesson with them.... :dead: Replaced them with H&R's = win. Then i replaced the seats with some Cobra Daytona's... better seating posision but a bit 'cheap'. Then i bought some 2118's and removed the fogs for a cup racer look...... (not in the pics) and painted the calipers Red..... Then replaced the exhaust with a Prospeed......

DSC00442.jpg

100_0358.jpg

DSC00447.jpg

Now the above is not extreme by any means, but it started to annoy me, the car was getting too far away from what i loved about the car... The colour, wheels etc. It was now Loud, cheap looking seats, pain in th ass wheels to clean lol!! and rattly. So, sold the 2118's to fund some new Turinis, sold the seats for some Recaro Trendlines. Binned the noisy prospeed, and replaced that with a Decatted standard system, ended up with this,

cup1206023-1.jpg

cup1206014-1.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

Grp N remap, inlets H&R's Recaros done. The above was its best time imo. Nice to drive (love firm cars) ;) Not noisy, perfect.

Clio 197 08
Looks a lot better in the latest pictures! I do think you can 'runaway' with mods sometimes! Had my 197 a year now and starting to look at doing some little mods like painting diamonds and the writing on the bullets anthracite and couple of engine tweeks but this thread making me wonder now! Lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dont paint badges!!! Lowered, done imo!!!

DSC04354.jpg

Mine is a Standard early 197. My mods are H&R coilovers, Recaro seats, painted calipers (Red) and Speedlines. I still have the Silver wheels, but think they look a bit 'weak'...... See a theme in the mods? ;) lol

Last edited:
  Clio 197 08
I was out the other night with some friends going around some private bends and in all honesty i think the 197 handles superbly as standard and for that reason i just wouldnt want to touch it! I do think it looks a bit high but wouldnt want to risk jeopardising the current handling!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think standard 1*2's drive pap. (Trophy excluded)

Suspension mods are deffinately needed imo.

And I LOL at the turds that paint their badges and diamonds, fit silvervisions etc. Baaahhhh!!! Tools.

Clio 197 08
Dont paint badges!!! Lowered, done imo!!!

Mine is a Standard early 197. My mods are H&R coilovers, Recaro seats, painted calipers (Red) and Speedlines. I still have the Silver wheels, but think they look a bit 'weak'...... See a theme in the mods? ;) lol

Lol, do you wish you brought a cup? I have since changed mine to anthracite wheels from standard silver and am looking at painting the calipers red! Only myself to blame as i spec'd it new! :dapprove:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I was out the other night with some friends going around some private bends and in all honesty i think the 197 handles superbly as standard and for that reason i just wouldnt want to touch it! I do think it looks a bit high but wouldnt want to risk jeopardising the current handling!

Totally. I just dont get the whole badge thing on here tbh, looks cheap if not done right imo!! Cups werent out when i got mine, only R27's and they were a wee bit out of budget lol

Clio 197 08
Yer i wasnt 100% sure myself! Was just wondering what it would look like! At least you have an excuse then! I think i must of been a bit tighter a year ago, i mean the cup pack could of only made about £10 difference over 4 years!

BMW M135i
Not sure I could stick with a 100% standard car tbh, not anytime soon anyway. Cars are one of my hobbies(ish) and I just can't resist fiddling with them somehow. Only really bother with subtle mods anyway really, nothing major/permanent.

Lots of Alfas
My car looks completely standard (there cant be many standard looking 172mk1s left). Even the indicator lights are a nice orangey orange. I must admit though the temptation to modify is really hard to ignore, whether you can afford it or not!!

IMG_2037.jpg