ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106gti vs 1.8 16v

can anyone clear up something for me. I have a 106gti and my mates got a 1.8 16v clio. he wreckons he will blow me away no sweat, but I dont think so, although wreckon it would be close. Ive got a magnex system exhaust and an ecosse ram air filter, he just has a magnex system exhaust. he aint got the balls to put his money where his mouth is, so what do you lot think?

Your gunna think i am biased but i would put my money on the clio.

Ive raced two 106 GTis and beat them both although not by that much! One i raced up to 120 i did put a fair gap between though!

Comes down to the driver and the car too! Is his valver good condition?

Itll be very very close so dont listen to him! Just go race and see cus it may go your way!

You wouldnt lose each other either! It will only be a samll gap at the best of times!

could go either way, depends on the condition on the valver with it being older. providing the valver is running sweet and is in proper tune it should be slightly quicker, but will start to pull in the height of 3rd imo. having said that their are some freak GTIs and VTS that will do some fast 1/4 miles, so will be very interesting to about 80-90mph but after these speeds the extra CC should come into play.

The ecosse ram filter gives 14bhp at most times! So i would think 1 - 0 to GTi given the extras ( better power to weight ratio? )

Quote: Originally posted by Newms on 10 May 2004

The ecosse ram filter gives 14bhp at most times! So i would think 1 - 0 to GTi given the extras ( better power to weight ratio? )
If that is true and that it gives 14bhp or even 10bhp - the 106 will beat the Valver.

But like ive said - ive never been beaten by a VTS or GTi in my valver which only has a magnex cat-back.

Ill race ya!;)

[Edited by 1.8_16v_Clio on 10 May 2004 at 3:10pm]

Gti will win to 80mph and then the valver will come back....but is it too late?

I wrecken not more than car length in it though

RB5 & 172

gtis get good gains from breathing mods. i have a viper and pug sport full system on mine and it still pulls hard at 90.

its very dependant on condition of car, and as everyone knows not all cars produce manufacturers quotes figures for power. In French cars its usually higher, so this may apply to both vehicles. Also power to weight is not the be all, as gearing comes into play, just like torque is not as much as issue at higher speeds as some make out (CTR is perfect example of decent gearbox and a fast motorway car will a relatively low torque figure). there are too many deciding factors, but from 1/4 miles of what people have got the VTS are usually slightly quicker than the valvers (not sure about 106gti, seems more varied in result), but these I think are with terminals around 80-90, which is where i would imagine seeing the vavler pull back or pull further away.

put em up side by side, if your m8s not game for TLGP then do some 2nd gear rolling starts at 30mph, then some 70mph 3rd gear starts etc, that will give you at least some idea of where the two cars are better performing.
and 14bhp from and IK... think their guestimates, either that or they put it on a Ferrari F40 and it gave it an extra 14bhp, in which case they can saw upto 14bhp extra. More likely to be about 4-6 at best.

[Edited by TheJesus on 10 May 2004 at 3:19pm]

Ive raced one in my Valver and never again. It was just as fast and caused me to blow up my clutch i was tryin so hard. :mad: That race cost me £250 and i lost in the end.

Quote: Originally posted by nitro_cart on 10 May 2004

his cars a m reg, good condition, well serviced, engine on 65k i think. so what 0 - 60 times are we talking?
7.7 book time, but 7.3 is more common for a loosened engine (which they all will be and more so!). people have got timed slips with 7.3 on completely standard valvers. should be pretty interesting, and even, the pug stats are pretty crap if I remember, 8odd secs to 60, but again, they should be able to achieve 7s easy as its basically the same as a VTS.

my mates gti only had few mods and never came across a valve that could beat it! or match it!

i dont like to say the above cus im a clio maniac and f**kin hate pugs! but its the sad truth :(

but....... he is one f**kin awesome driver!

Ive beaten one before in my m plate valver.

As the speeds get higher the valver seems to pull. Off the lights there is nowt in it really.

Neither of you are gunna win though unless the speeds get above 80!

Nippy little motors!

They are smaller and lighter than a valver anyway and the power is almost the same so its not surprising that they come close if not win.

ive never seen an official stat for the 106gti, every place I look the times vary from 7.1 - 8.4secs. does anyone know what stat peugoet gave the car when it was released? 7.3 for a standard 16v...thats better than what i thought, my pug must be runing 7.5 or less with the mods surely?

there are 2 types of gti!

think it was yr 2000, the early ones had i think 15-20 bhp more than the ones built later in the yr! will find out exactly later!

RB5 & 172

the rumour goes that some cars had 130. however pretty much all of them standard are well over the 120 that pug claim.

not running a de-cat at the mo, thinking bout it but dunno if its worth the trouble if you get stopped for a roadside emissions test. would a chip, decat, new manifold and powerboost valve get the gti down in the high 6s? by the way im a 16v lover, but couldnt get one in good enough nick so had to go for the gti!!!

i beat a 106 i was racing only because the guy driving was getting the sh*t beat out of him by his gf and he slowed and i passed but that was after like 5 miles of twisties. there was nothing in it whatsoever i have to say my car runs sh*te at the best of times, think its one of them underspec production turkeys because its always been looked after.

Nothing in it and like has been said probably the 106 because the valvers are older and the gearing is different

was a pretty new 106 too

RB5 & 172

get a de-cat on it and you will feel the difference. know what you mean about having to swap it over though but ive got it down to about 20mins. saying that im swapping my dummy cat for a pug sport sports cat to get some mid range back.

There are some very freaky 106 GTi/Saxo VTS cars out there. I think there was a period when they came with 130bhp AFAIK and even then it was a pretty conservative figure.

I had a serious look at about half a dozen 106 GTis when I sold my old 16V, but first of all the ones I looked at were tatty and then I grew to dislike them and bought a Williams instead!

Id definitely say that they would give a Valver a run off the mark, but the ones I drove (including the 130bhp ones) werent as keen to accelerate in 3rd and above. Although the Valver is always said to be a car with no low down torque, the 106 was worse I found. Id also say that they werent as stable on high speed corners and that the interior was a serious come-down after a leathered-up 16V. They are a smaller car mind.

The handling is lovely on a GTi around mini-roundabouts and very tight bends, but out on the bumpy B-roads the Valver had more stability and less of a tendency to throw out the rear. The damping is superior on the 16V IMO too.

Actually, they arent any more than 50kg lighter than a 16V (less than the difference between a 172 and a Cup), so I dont think they have a big advantage there.

Id say that the 106 and VTS are probably the Valvers spiritual successors - in terms of performance at least.

ooooooook i was well dead set on buying a Vavler a.s.a.p but knowing they are rare to find one in good knick and now finding out even with having a vavler im chances are 106GTi and VTS might piss on me....... i may have to have a re-think about my next car.

my mates vts tops out in 5th when im at the limiter in 4th! and his clock reads 140 there! how off! i changed up a gear and went! - lmao. and i annihalated it on the straights too. we were both impressed expectin them to be more equal. so i think its really down to french engines, maybe i have a good one, maybe he has a poo one? no one knows?

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 10 May 2004

my mates vts tops out in 5th when im at the limiter in 4th! and his clock reads 140 there! how off! i changed up a gear and went! - lmao. and i annihalated it on the straights too. we were both impressed expectin them to be more equal. so i think its really down to french engines, maybe i have a good one, maybe he has a poo one? no one knows?
Thats what im thinking - ive honestly never been beaten by a Gti/VTS in my valver!