ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1080p HD TV

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Alright guys and gals...

Need some help; looking to buy a 1080p HD TV (heard this 1080p is the dogs danglies - Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). Now, budget is £800-£1000. Would like it to be 42 inch, and semi future proof, preferably.

Whatcha got? :cool:

Thanks, Tys.

PS..What is this about Plamsa's needing to be re-gassed at some point?

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ Does look good mate (with my limited knowledge); however, just a quick question, isn't it better to get a Plasma when the TV is above 32 inch for example?

What price did you get it for if you dont mind me asking? ;)

Tys.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
experts say you cant tell the difference in 1080i and 1080p unless the screen is above 50inch, Pioneer plasma's get the best ratings even ho there only 1080i but there not cheap.I have a PDP-427XD, cost me £1600, but it really is awesome.Even waching DVD's the qualiy is unbeliveable. Cant wait to get my PS3 now for some HD movies

id go 42" tosh x series (or z if it is out any time soon) for lcd as for plasma i wouldnt want to comment i havent looked at enough of them lately but they dodnt need regassing or anything like that ever

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
lcd and plasma's both have there Positives and negaives, its down o the buyer which you get as its you thats going to wach it. I do know that Plasma's give true black whereas LCD's can be more of a dark grey and they shadow a bit? But yeah plasma's need re-gassing? Im biased but plasma all the way.

erm plasmas dont need re gassing at all ever !!!!!!

blacks are a bit of a non issue tbh unless your watching in total black and you shouldnt be anyway its not the way to do it

new lcd's are much better with black levels aswell. as for ghosting the tosh's are very fast you really need to just try them out though

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
^^^^ there you go all personal preference. The black/ghosting was an issue when i bought mine but i know new models are out and are better, so the quality is prob no different now.
I was under the impression they need re-gassing but by the time it does it'll be time for a new tv anyway, so it aint a big deal?

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Thanks MCG, will look into that. What about everyone else, what would they go for given the criteria i have set above?

Thanks all!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Blacks are important! Comes down to personal preference but id bet a Pioneer Plasma with a lower res screen will impress you more than a 1080 LCD. More to it than pixels!

If you are set on 1080p, then check its a native 1080 screen rather than a diff res that just accepts 1080.

ps, i have a full native 1080 philips lcd and tbh id buy the Pioneer plasma if i only used it for watching TV/DVDs/BR

clio...
Spring the extra 500 quid and get a Poineer PDP-428XD... Or am sure you can get a 427XD for around 1000.

Oil Burner
you wont find a plasma (as a rule of thumb) below 42" (there are a few exceptions but not many)

plasma is better in my opinion, cant be bothered to get into the argument of lcd v plasma, but lcd blacks are rubbish, only lcd with good blacks ive seen is the sony D series in 32", other than this tv this is 1080i not 1080P however has 100hz (much more important)

i would say, dont worry about 1080p there arnt actually that many ways of getting 1080p at the moment, half the HD players only do so in 1080i and hdmi leads arnt up to the job properly unless you buy a certain spec. get 100hz that does make a difference even when watching non HD.

Samsung r87/88 sound is not that amazing, panasonic are very good, as are sony, LG are cheap and very good for the money.

But you should be buying a plasma anyway.

BTW i would never touch older philips products, only modern (black) stuff, the old stuff was rubbish, philips customer care is shocking and their products arnt much better. However their surround sounds using sonowave are amazing.

well thats what you get for buying philips ;)

led backlighting will make things very intresting soon

Is there any other choice for LCD ;) Ambilight is awesome, wouldnt go back to a non-backlit screen.

no you misunderstand in the back of every lcd there is a light that shines through the screen to allow you to see the picture at the moment they are just regular style tubes but in teh new tv's they are replacing them with lots of led's they give a much better picture