ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

120k engine

clio 172 ph1,golf v5
i have just bought a clio 172 phase 1 with the intention of turning it into a race car (on a tight budget £5-£6k).the engine has done 120k and i wanted to know would it be time to change pistons and look at getting a rebore/skim and if there was any other engine parts that might be worn and need re placing? i want to keep the engine pretty much standard with just filter,exhaust and remap and focus on handling,brakes and weight saving.

any help would be great:race:

If you're not confident that it's been well treated id at least be wanting to have a look inside to check for any signs of wear/damage. Unless you have the budget to replace the engine if it fails under stress.

ITB'd MK1
a well serviced 120k engine will be better than an abused 50k engine. Most of the broken engines I see have been rebuilt badly at some point. Usually the oil pickup is full of silicon and it's blocked the pump. If you do want a good strong engine, build another one in preparation for the high miler going wrong. I wouldn't mess with it if it's healthy currently

Golf GTD Mk7
As said it should be ok. Only way to find out for sure is to scope the block. If it's going to be a race car you might be better strengthening it as a priority, then going for Tb's/cams etc.
Suspension/wheels/tyres/brakes and general renewing bushes/mounts etc, plus cage, will probably take a big chunk from your budget.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
I would do the belts and stuff for a start. Like everyones saying. get it scoped, even carry out a compression test. If its been looked after and been serviced with good quality oil it should be fine.

My engine has done 110k (53k of them have been hard miles by me) I change the oil every 6k and check the plugs every second oil change and do a compression test at the same time. It never gets hammered until its warmed up fully then it gets it constantly. I was shocked when i took the head off it and was still able to clearly see the hone marks on the bores. Its still on its original dephaser and water pump etc.

You should consider the clutch and gearbox though. these might tolerate less abuse on the track so get the gearbox oil changed atleast!

clio 172 ph1,golf v5
the engine pulls well and sounds fine apart from the de phaser pulley which sounds rough. i will be replacing it along with all belts and pulleys.think i'll just take engine out and give it a good inspection just to be on the safe side as it doesn't have alot of history.

thanks to all for the advice.