ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

13" Macbook Pro (Help & Advice)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Currently have a 13" Macbook Pro (Late 2011) running standard 4GB Ram and a standard 500GB Hard drive.

I have seen loads of people talk about upgrading there HD to a SSD and i have watched a few videos on it also.
Now I'm no computer person but from what i can see it makes the macbook run a lot faster would this be the same in my case and would it be a worth while upgrade ?

I also want to boost my Ram from 4GB to 8GB as i have been told this -

"your free memory is a little low, and you have PsgeOuts greater than zero which all means you are running low on memory for the number of concurrent applications running. Some disk swapping is occurring and that should start slowing down the computer. It will also lead to drive thrashing which can csuse more heat from the drive and more slowing down along with the SBOD"

is swapping the RAM easy enough and what would be the best to buy ?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
RAM and SSD are worth it on non retina MBP's (I believe you can go 16Gb on that version with the RAM) and there are loads of videos on YOUTUBE to help steer you to victory.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
RAM and SSD are worth it on non retina MBP's (I believe you can go 16Gb on that version with the RAM) and there are loads of videos on YOUTUBE to help steer you to victory.

Just spoke to an authorised apple repair centre in Edinburgh and like what you have said he says that my MBP will take 16GB of RAM but i will never get the full use of it as i would need to be running some serious amounts of programmes and heavy usage which I'm not so as a start up he suggests that 8GB of RAM is good enough.

He then said the SSD is an amazing upgrade and well worth it but they are looking for near on £450 for a 500GB SSD and that is for supplying and fitting +Vat.

I think just now i will get 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM and get that popped in and see how it goes.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It'll fly I promise but the price difference between 8Gb and 16Gb of Ram isn't much so I'd say just do it.

I spec'd the s**t out of my 13" MBPr just because it won't hurt it's second hand value and it's never failed me yet.

Just spoke to an authorised apple repair centre in Edinburgh and like what you have said he says that my MBP will take 16GB of RAM but i will never get the full use of it as i would need to be running some serious amounts of programmes and heavy usage which I'm not so as a start up he suggests that 8GB of RAM is good enough.

He then said the SSD is an amazing upgrade and well worth it but they are looking for near on £450 for a 500GB SSD and that is for supplying and fitting +Vat.

I think just now i will get 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM and get that popped in and see how it goes.

Who are they mate?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
May as well do what i've done to mine and fit a small SSD i went for a 120GB, then swap the superdrive for the hard drive and put the superdrive in a caddy.

120GB + 500GB storage internally and a portable superdrive for when you need it.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
It'll fly I promise but the price difference between 8Gb and 16Gb of Ram isn't much so I'd say just do it.

I spec'd the s**t out of my 13" MBPr just because it won't hurt it's second hand value and it's never failed me yet.

Mick what else have you done to yours ?
As i say I'm looking at the RAM upgrade and the SSD hard drive but is there anything else that really helps a macbook pro ?

Who are they mate?

Edinburgh Office:

Tel: 0131 652 3704

25 Silvermills Court. Edinburgh.

EH3 5DG

http://www.opalcs.co.uk/AppleAuthorisedRepairs

Last edited:
Do want sbridgey says, no need to spend loads of money on a massive SSD when a small one will do the job.

Not Mac but I put SSD's in our old laptops and it made a massive difference to the performance

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Whilst I agree with what Daveski and Sbridget are saying but SSD's aren't exactly pricey either so just whack a 256Gb or 512Gb.

I've got a current gen retina so I didn't have to do anything as it's all flash drive anyway. I envy your ability to have a drive caddy though.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Whilst I agree with what Daveski and Sbridget are saying but SSD's aren't exactly pricey either so just whack a 256Gb or 512Gb.

I've got a current gen retina so I didn't have to do anything as it's all flash drive anyway. I envy your ability to have a drive caddy though.

Oi! watch your spelling.