ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

145mph 106gti,clio sport eater

Hi peeps ,yet again another joker where i live.
a 106 gti with a top speed of 145mph, all standard but for a exhaust rear box, and induction kit
he says its a clio sport eater

let us know your views sport members

cheers shorty

im not surprised mate there the same as saxos.. my mates vts was reading 140 on the clock when my clock was reading 115.. theyre well out top end!

he topped out in 5th and i still had a gear to change up too

LOL! ;)

The fact is that the 106 GTi doesnt have the gearing to make 145mph in the first place (even into the red) so its a bit of a joke (and 14.5mph out).

Tony

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by SHORTY on 08 January 2003

Hi peeps ,yet again another joker where i live.
a 106 gti with a top speed of 145mph, all standard but for a exhaust rear box, and induction kit
he says its a clio sport eater

let us know your views sport members

cheers shorty
Shorty

I know a 106GTi exactly like that in bright yellow, which has been well tweeked at Peugeot Ecosse and believe me it will eat most hot hatches! Its picture is on this website and I can assure you that it is quicker than my 172 as we swapped cars for an hour a few weeks ago.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Have you seen the car. It may well have washer jets and l.e.d valve caps for all we know!

Well ill say my piece ive got a 1.6 16v clio and raced a 106 gti it topped out at about 130 and me at 125. they are quick but not 145mph quick.

clio 172 MK2 is geared to 20.6mph/100rpm so 144mph in 5th i doubt a 106 gti is geared as high as it has a 1.6 engine and less power/torque

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Your mate is dreaming!

This is a shot of my old 106 GTi (on a private road) in 5th gear...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Pug106GTi/Misc/speeding.jpg

The gearing goes -

80mph = 4000rpm
90mph = 4500rpm
100mph = 5000rpm
110mph = 5500rpm
120mph = 6000rpm
130mph = 6500rpm (see pic)
140mph = 7000rpm

At 145mph, he would be bouncing off the rev limiter!!! :cry:

My car had 141bhp @ fly (113bhp @ wheels) and the speedo was actually pretty accurate (tested on the rolling road), but I know that plenty are well out and over-read by quite a bit at those sort of speeds. Sounds like this is one of them.

Ask this lad what his revs were at 145mph and then let us know...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

140mph

well im astounded

the car must have been soo unstable at that speed

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

is it just me or is does the clio seem really stable at higher speeds, not at all scary.

at 90mph there is no vibration through the steering wheel or anthing, my old pug 205 GTi (okay it was a lot older) used to shake rattle and roll like there was no tommorow, and that was at 75mph.. hehe.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

oh and as for speedo accuracy, get yourself a GPS and check the speed on that, it is more accurate. especially at higher speeds.

My old Micra speed used to be about 5mph out at 60mph.

eg. it was indicated 60mph, actually doing nearer 55mph

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Nothing wrong with the 106 GTis though.. great little cars, was gonna buy one until I saw the Renault Sport Clio 172 ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i gpsd my car twice

1 result 119.987654mph @ 6100rpm flat road 25m above sealevel

2 result 122.000034mph @ 6000rpm (downhill)60m above sealevel speedo says 130mph (just)

also gpss dads audi s8 (supercharged to 511bhp)

1 result 202.893214 mph in essen germany speedo off the clock showing 262mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 result 199.954673 mph m1 uk speedo said 259mph!!

3 result 167.567456 mph limiter on speedo says 200mph (hmm)

i wasnt driving

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

My 106 was very stable at high speeds, drove straight and true, no vibrations and could take your hands off the wheel if you were mad enough!

My speedo was only couple of mph out at 110mph on the rolling road and also ties in with speeds that other cars do, so I am confident that it was pretty accurate.

However, I know a 106 GTi that was reading 140mph at the same revs as mine in 5th gear, hence his speedo was out (by about 10mph) and I can see this being the case with this 106 were discussing here.

Not sure of the gearing on a pug But no VTS with a standard gearbox will be able to go above 139.9 mph whether it has 120 bhp or 400bhp :D

The sheer mechanics will not allow it!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I dont see the point anyway.. so your car can do 200mph.. if you dont live in Germany (or anywhere else with no speed limits, or tracks) there is no point...

0-70 is where it is all about for me, at least you can stay legal, till you get on the track ofcourse, then higher speeds might count.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

me too its just interesting to see

the car isnt stable a 200mph anyway so the limiter stays on in the uk

if i had my way my car would only do 100mph

but it would get there damm fast

Mines stable at !42 (indicated).......does anyone else notice that up to !20(ish) theres no hanging around at all but from then up to the gear change light in 5th is a fair old wait...

Arjun

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

ah, when your doing those sorts of speeds, aerodynamics comes into play a lot, just look at porche (i forget the model no) the spoiler only comes up at 80mph, because less than that speed it really isnt doing anything.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Rudi -

The 106 GTi and the Saxo VTS have got different ratios mate...

Limit to a hundred? No thanks. My dads aston used to push 190mph easily, but the sensation of speed was only equal to doing 100mph in mine. In good conditions my car can cruise at 110mph comfortably.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i would like 0-60 in 5 secs and 0-100 in 10

but thats all i care about

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, acceleration is the thrill, not the all out speed.

Although... having both is nice! :D

CTR EK9 turbo

Shows the innacuracy of your GPS equipment with figures like:
1 result 119.987654mph @ 6100rpm

2 result 122.000034mph @ 6000rpm

Not only should the mph be higher in result 1 but also i dont know about anyone else in here, but am i right in thinking youve got a 1.2 clio? not sure about 120 mph in a 1.2 clio - thatd take some convincing.

also the 200 mph in the Audi S8 supercharged is a bit dubious - an F40 only just gets 202 with its V12 with 478 bhp and its aerodymanic and probably a lot lighter than an S8.

All im saying is you have to spend an awful lot on some serious GPS equipment before saying its accurate, unless youve spent a few hundred thousand on some proper equipment.

My friends pulsar was tested using some cheap GPS equipment and it showed that his top speed was 150 or there abouts. Now that means that my top speed is also 150 as (when his car pre-modded) our cars both had identical top speeds, if anything i used to gain on his car when we were topped out. These cheap GPS units are not accurate.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i know i never said they were it was a cheap £100 garmin gps (hence!!!!!!!!!!)

but a few 1.2 owners have seen close to 120mph

and the s8 has 511bhp and a lower drag .cd rating 200mph is very possible

0.29 vs 0.34 (ferrari)

(remember the f40 has a wing as big as a clio in the back of it which limits top end somewhat)

H22A7 Accord Type R

i know it will be very ambitious...............but when i first had my clio, i did have the Speedo registering 120mph, at 6000rpm............. probably about 106mph real lol! was chasing a mate in his vtr, 5-up, me 3-up